• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cali Teen Who Tried to Commit Columbine-Style Attack Wanted Revenge

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Here's an interesting case of a goof with a bomb, intent on some kind of Columbine/VTU-inspired massacre.

But, interestingly, this is an example of a terrorizing/mass murdering kind of attack in our schools---that did not require any guns to stop. Thank God, those brave teachers were there to handle the threat. They acted quickly and effectively. Probably saved a bunch of lives.

The armed teachers did a great job. Kudos to them. Heroes, all.

Teen Who Tried to Commit Columbine-Style Attack Wanted Revenge, Police Say

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A 17-year-old boy who burst into a California high school strapped with explosives was out for revenge and intended to commit a "cold-blooded execution," police said.

San Mateo authorities said Tuesday that the former Hillsdale High School student planned a mass murder when he entered the halls Monday morning armed with 10 pipe bombs, a chainsaw and a sword.

The boy, who is not being identified because he is a minor, is in juvenile detention on suspicion of attempted murder, igniting destructive devices with the intent to commit murder, and assault with a deadly weapon, according to San Mateo Police Chief Susan Manheimer.

He will likely be charged Wednesday, though authorities haven't yet said whether it will be as an adult.

Manheimer said the teenager's "sole intent was to kill, injure or commit mayhem to as many students, staff and faculty as possible," and that the motive was "self-construed revenge."

It wasn't clear what police believe the suspect was trying to get revenge for.

"Our evidence in total indicated this was a cold-blooded execution," Manheimer said.

The boy allegedly entered Hillsdale High School just after 8 a.m. Monday wearing a vest outfitted with 10 homemade pipe bombs. Police say he was also wielding a 2-foot-long sword and a chainsaw and detonated two of the bombs in the building — setting off loud explosions that sent several teachers running to the scene.

No one was injured before the teen was tackled and held down by teachers.

The 1,270 students at the school were evacuated and classes were canceled Monday and Tuesday but are expected to resume Wednesday, KTVU reported.

Investigators said Tuesday they found bomb-making materials that had probably been ordered online in the San Mateo apartment the suspect shared with his mother and sister, according to the station.

Sources said the teen told his mother he was making model rockets.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,542967,00.html

sipowicz

imported post

HankT wrote:
Here's an interesting case of a goof with a bomb, intent on some kind of Columbine/VTU-inspired massacre.

But, interestingly, this is an example of a terrorizing/mass murdering kind of attack in our schools---that did not require any guns to stop. Thank God, those brave teachers were there to handle the threat. They acted quickly and effectively. Probably saved a bunch of lives.

Teen Who Tried to Commit Columbine-Style Attack Wanted Revenge, Police Say

A 17-year-old boy who burst into a California high school strapped with explosives was out for revenge and intended to commit a "cold-blooded execution," police said.

San Mateo authorities said Tuesday that the former Hillsdale High School student planned a mass murder when he entered the halls Monday morning armed with 10 pipe bombs, a chainsaw and a sword.

The boy, who is not being identified because he is a minor, is in juvenile detention on suspicion of attempted murder, igniting destructive devices with the intent to commit murder, and assault with a deadly weapon, according to San Mateo Police Chief Susan Manheimer.

He will likely be charged Wednesday, though authorities haven't yet said whether it will be as an adult.

Manheimer said the teenager's "sole intent was to kill, injure or commit mayhem to as many students, staff and faculty as possible," and that the motive was "self-construed revenge."

It wasn't clear what police believe the suspect was trying to get revenge for.

"Our evidence in total indicated this was a cold-blooded execution," Manheimer said.

The boy allegedly entered Hillsdale High School just after 8 a.m. Monday wearing a vest outfitted with 10 homemade pipe bombs. Police say he was also wielding a 2-foot-long sword and a chainsaw and detonated two of the bombs in the building — setting off loud explosions that sent several teachers running to the scene.

The 1,270 students at the school were evacuated and classes were canceled Monday and Tuesday but are expected to resume Wednesday, KTVU reported.

Investigators said Tuesday they found bomb-making materials that had probably been ordered online in the San Mateo apartment the suspect shared with his mother and sister, according to the station.

Sources said the teen told his mother he was making model rockets.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,542967,00.html
I, also, am a teacher. I'd be crucified if I brought my gun to school.

r6-rider

imported post

man, if i saw someone coming at me with a chainsaw (let alone that plus a sword and pipebombs) i would be probably be on trial for emptying my whole mag, reloading and emptying my spare mags into him and continuing until i felt confident he was 110% down and no longer a threat. that would be some scary s*** to be on the wrong side of that UNARMED!

1245A Defender

imported post

were the teachers actually "ARMED"? if so?, they showed remarkabl restraint!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
were the teachers actually "ARMED"? if so?, they showed remarkabl restraint!

Yep, each of the teachers had 2 of them. Each.

No guns. They handled the threat by just phsyically restraining the goof student.

When you think about it, a gun really wasn't needed in this case. Just some men/women who were quick to take action.

Those teachers are heroes.

1245A Defender

imported post

hi hank; the article does state the teachers were armed, so i wonder where they got that idea? bad reporting? and another thing. was the student armed, and dangerous? would an armed response have been justifiable? would HPCSD allow a shooting, to stop the threat?

r6-rider

imported post

i disagree. i think guns would be very necessary in this case. anyone who wants to strap a vest full of explosives to themselves should get at least 2 in the head.

jrwalker

imported post

hi hank; the article does state the teachers were armed, so i wonder where they got that idea? bad reporting? and another thing. was the student armed, and dangerous? would an armed response have been justifiable? would HPCSD allow a shooting, to stop the threat?

yes he was armed! He was strapped with pipebombs and had a sword didn't he?

The teachers are both brave AND LUCKY. How were they to know that this kid wasn't some tripple blackbelt karate kid with amazing swordsmanship?

If someone comes at me strapped with pipebombs and has a chainsaw and a sword, I'm assuming the worst and they will cease to exist very quickly.

1245A Defender

imported post

you didnt notice; i was asking hank t! it was sarcasm. the kid had bombs strapped to him, sward, and a chainsaw! calif teachers arent carrying guns, even tho the paper said they were,so thier choices were few. they were very brave. they are heroes! he had blown two bombs off allready, god only know if he might have tried to blow himself up and take whom ever tried to stop him along for the ride to hell! he had big plans, that included two teachers!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

The subject line implies that a kid from Colombia, South America commited a crime. I see nothing about where the kid is from.

HankT?

1. How do you know this kid is from South America?

2. How do you know EXACTLY what town in Colombia he is from? Does it say he is a member of the Cali Cartel?

Hank, try typing in English. It works much better. If you mean the kid is from the state of California, then try using the proper abbreviations. The people that are from there and grew up there (that also speak English, not gang-speak) know their state's proper abbreviations. They are as follows: CA, CAL, CALIF. That's IT. There are no others.

Don't be such a putz. Quit trying to be a gang-banger spork.

1245A Defender

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
The subject line implies that a kid from Colombia, South America commited a crime. I see nothing about where the kid is from.
Don't be such a putz. Quit trying to be a gang-banger spork.
hey why dont you stop being a spork/putz! jeez dude trying actually reading the post!

nuff said?

1245A Defender

imported post

if i wasnt alert, i would have missed the importance of sporks, glad the word needs more lerts, glad im one of them! and another thing! we here in wash get alota replys from virginia. are we just interesting or what? you know virginia is about twice as active on this forum as we are? were no. 2 rah! carry on!!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How could the kommifornia legislature forget to put chain saws and
pipe bombs on the 1000 foot school rule? That would have stopped him cold.

But I must agree to tackle a pipe bombed individual deserves respect to
the individual teachers. Or a serious head examination appointment.
Use a fire extinguisher to the face, or acid from the science lab
to blind the guy, and distract him.

Does the local news list these online pipe bomb companies? I just checked
the yellow pages and came up empty. Thank god for library wi-fi so I could
search and escape undetected.:shock: I need 20 ft of det cord to drop a tree branch
and haven't found a source in 6 years of searching. It is despicable that the
government wants me to risk my life rather than let me safely remove a
tree branch.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

r6-rider wrote:
man, if i saw someone coming at me with a chainsaw (let alone that plus a sword and pipebombs) i would be probably be on trial for emptying my whole mag, reloading and emptying my spare mags into him and continuing until i felt confident he was 110% down and no longer a threat. that would be some scary s*** to be on the wrong side of that UNARMED!
Easy there, tiger. Thanks God that you weren't there. There would've been bullets flying all over da place! BTW, how do you get a guy "110% down?"

r6-rider wrote:
i disagree. i think guns would be very necessary in this case. anyone who wants to strap a vest full of explosives to themselves should get at least 2 in the head.

Well, the facts say otherwise. The threat was stopped without any guns.

jrwalker wrote:

The teachers are both brave AND LUCKY. How were they to know that this kid wasn't some tripple blackbelt karate kid with amazing swordsmanship?

If someone comes at me strapped with pipebombs and has a chainsaw and a sword, I'm assuming the worst and they will cease to exist very quickly.
The teachers did what they needed to do. Bravely.

The teachersdidn't need any guns. If they'd waited around for someone with a gun to show up, well, you know the old saying: "When seconds count, the gun guy is 25 minutes away over at Wal-Mart's looking for 9mm ammo."

PiJiNWiNg wrote:
Maybe I'm just retarded or something, but can someone point out where exactly it says the teachers were armed?

It thread subhead says the teachers were "Armed" not "armed." The teacherswere "legged," too.

Most teachers have two of each.

"Armed" teachers don't necessarily need "arms" (i.e., guns) to stop a deadly threat. The instant case is proof of that. The teachers used their arms and legs to tackle the aggressor and take him into custody.

Guns were not necessary to stop the threat (and get the guy down 100%).

Milbars

imported post

if i wasnt alert, i would have missed the importance of sporks, glad the word needs more lerts, glad im one of them! and another thing! we here in wash get alota replys from virginia. are we just interesting or what? you know virginia is about twice as active on this forum as we are? were no. 2 rah! carry on!!
We have to give you a good example to follow. Sort of like a Big Brother/Big Sister relationship :lol:

Milbars

imported post

HankT wrote:
r6-rider wrote:
Well, the facts say otherwise. The threat was stopped without any guns.

Because none were available. Let's not forget where this was: California.

jrwalker wrote:

The teachers did what they needed to do. Bravely.

The teachersdidn't need any guns. If they'd waited around for someone with a gun to show up, well, you know the old saying: "When seconds count, the gun guy is 25 minutes away over at Wal-Mart's looking for 9mm ammo."
What kind of an argument is this? I would think, faced with that type of threat, guns were definitely needed. I seem to recall a school in Texas that allows their teachers to be armed. While I'm sure everyone here is quite relieved that no lives were lost, this could've ended much sooner. Using your argument, troops downrange don't need guns to stop terrorists with bombs strapped to their chests...just one, well-placed tackle. I'll be sure to pass that along to everyone here.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Milbars wrote:
Because none [guns] were available. Let's not forget where this was: California.
Doesn't matter where it was. The point was made that no guns were needed to end the threat and take the aggressor into custody.

Milbars wrote:

What kind of an argument is this? I would think, faced with that type of threat, guns were definitely needed. I seem to recall a school in Texas that allows their teachers to be armed. While I'm sure everyone here is quite relieved that no lives were lost, this could've ended much sooner. Using your argument, troops downrange don't need guns to stop terrorists with bombs strapped to their chests...just one, well-placed tackle. I'll be sure to pass that along to everyone here.

No. In this case no guns were needed to end the threat and take the aggressor into custody.

Texas has nothing to do with it. Troops do not have anything to do with it. You're brining in irrelevant issues.

This Cali case is interesting because it undeniably displays that in this one incident that no guns were needed to end the threat and take the aggressor into custody.