• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Wouldn't Let Me In

Buckskinner15

imported post

Update:

I got a call from a ladyat the North Lovelandwalmart a couple days ago regarding my email and I finally got around to calling her back today. She told me that corporate policy is no firearms in the store, loaded or unloaded, regardless of whether you have a CCW and regardless of state law. I'm unsure what to do now. I wonder if corporate changed it's policy recently. Would anyone else on the forum be willing to double-check this or suggest any further course of action? Thanks!

CJ30-06

imported post

SDguy wrote:
When they ask if you have a permit why not just show them one? They are ignorant so play to that ignorance for a bit and see how they respond. We know that OC is legal and no permit is required but when they ask if you have a permit they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

So, just show them a permit and see what takes place next. You can then respond according to their reaction to being shown a CC permit.
No, you know what I like to do? hand them a copy of the U.S. and/or Colorado constitutions; that kinda gets them awe struck! (I also can't get a permit yet, only 19)

entartet17

imported post

Buckskinner15 wrote:
Update:

I got a call from a ladyat the North Lovelandwalmart a couple days ago regarding my email and I finally got around to calling her back today. She told me that corporate policy is no firearms in the store, loaded or unloaded, regardless of whether you have a CCW and regardless of state law. I'm unsure what to do now. I wonder if corporate changed it's policy recently. Would anyone else on the forum be willing to double-check this or suggest any further course of action? Thanks!
There is no way that is correct unless they changed their policy within the last month or two. I spoke with Walmart's legal department back in May and they confirmed that corporate policy was to simply follow state law.

Buckskinner15

imported post

entartet17 wrote:
Buckskinner15 wrote:
Update:

There is no way that is correct unless they changed their policy within the last month or two. I spoke with Walmart's legal department back in May and they confirmed that corporate policy was to simply follow state law.
Can you tell me how to contact their legal department to see ifin fact their policyhas changed? Or if it hasn't, to find out how to resolve this? No offense to all of you who have said it's perfectly fine to OC in walmart, but I'm not going back in there until I have been assured that they aren't going to call the cops on me for trespassing or something. I certainly can't say they didn't warn me.

entartet17

imported post

It was a hell of a time getting Walmart to actually have someone confirm their policy. I emailed them multiple times, wrote them a letter, and called repeatedly. They kept giving me the runaround. FINALLY someone transferred me to the legal department where they confirmed the policy. The direct number is 479-273-4505.

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

So, with baited breath, please tell us, what is their corporate policy? I would like to do the same here in Castle Rock, but am still testing the waters, even after having a nice conversation with one of the Corporal's here on the force. He was not aware of any OC restrcitions other than the standard Municipal Buildings, Justice Center etc and of course Private Property may set their own rules. He was very much for OC and stated that he was glad I was doing it. Maybe it keeps the bad guys away? So, please without furhter hesitation........ Lets us know what legal said.

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

Backing up what John said. We in the Boise ID area have had a few issues with WM. Here it comes down to a manager not knowing the corporate policy or a customer tells a manager that they are scared of us and then we are asked to put our weapon up in the vehicle. As long as it is legal in that area of CO to OC then I would suggest contacting the regional manager or corporate HQ. There are quite a few post from our group up here in the "OC stories from the states" in the Idaho forum. Check them out and you can get some ideas on how we are reacting to it. Hope that helps.

Buckskinner15

imported post

entartet17 wrote:
It was a hell of a time getting Walmart to actually have someone confirm their policy. I emailed them multiple times, wrote them a letter, and called repeatedly. They kept giving me the runaround. FINALLY someone transferred me to the legal department where they confirmed the policy. The direct number is 479-273-4505.
I called walmart's legal department today using the number you gave me (thanks a ton!). They told me:

No firearms in the store except LEOs is a generalpolicy (more like, guideline?) their employees go by.
If state law permits open carry, then it is ok in the store.
However, they can ask you to leave or put your firearm in your vehicle if they want to, and you should do so.
If you have a personal reason to carry in the store, talk to the store manager.
They don't want me to stop shopping there.

So I guess it sounds like I will just have to educate and go up the chain of command if this happens again. It also sounds like it's pretty much up to the discretion of the manager whether they will permit OC in their store or not. Will keep you all posted as to what happens next. I plan to go there in the next few days so we'll see what happens.

Trailblazer, have you found any connections I can talk to/appeal toif I get asked to leave again?

Wolf81504

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I live in Grand Junction and open carry in both waly's here with no problem, except for one, when I don't carry (and I go 2-3 time's a week depending on how much milk we are going through) I get asked "where my gun is", I CCW from time to time to change it up a bit. But even the store managers said they like to see responsible people carrying. And the policy that I was told, was that they can ask you to leave you weapon in your car, BUT Sam Walton was a hunter, and believed that your constitutional right was more important than the comfort of others (per the store manager). Personally I would make the store manager call the legal department with you standing there and talk to them. The only thing you may run into is that they may call the cops instead. So you may just want to talk to them in private, and unarmed, as the anti-gun person is less on the defensive about this.

There is an article on the "Anti-gun mentality" here is the link http://www.vcdl.org/new/raging.htm it was posted on here somewhere else, and I would recommend that EVERYONE that carry's OC or CCW to read this. It helps you understand why people act the way they do when they see a gun.

When I run into a business that doesn't like me OC'in on their property, I disarm and then go back in and have a chat with them, explain that if a guy came in with a gun and wanted to hold up the store, who the hell is going to stop them? the cops are at least 5 min away, and in 5 seconds someone could die. if they don't want to hear it, then I let them know that I will never shop there again, and discourage all my friends from shopping there as well. most of the time they are receptive, and eventually don't bother you about it. Getting to know the staff at the business you are going to also helps. I found that an empty holster for about 8 regular visits helps as well.

G-16

imported post

I called my local walmart and I was told the same thing. Only a law enforcement officer could bring a OC weapon into the store. I submitted an inquiry on their website and had a manager call and leave a message stating that in Colorado you are not allowed to open carry anywhere and if I had any questions to contact my local police department.

thefirststrike

imported post

aadvark wrote:
...Walmart Inc. has clarified their official policy to me on numerous occasions that they will follow the Law of the State that they are in. Besides, it seems ludacris to me that Walmart would have any problemwith someone coming inside with a Firearm or Weapon of any kind because they are readily sold in the Hunting section, almost everyday-especially during hunting season.

This doesn't always mean anything. We have a local store here in Moscow, Idaho, called Tri-state Distributors (we have Walmart too). Anyway, Tri-State stocks and sells hundreds of rifles, shotguns and pistols, as well as all of the other accessroies for shooting and hunting...yet they do not allow OC or CC in their stores. They told me a few months agothat it was because people have told them theyfelt "nervous" because of people carrying openly in the store. (Keep in mind, we live in a liberal college town, and Tri-State is one of the students favorite places to buy their North Face and their Uggs). And this store was evenSTARTED as an Army surplus store, i.e. a sporting goods store...selling hunting, fishing, camping and other outdoors gear.

So while it is not Walmart, my point is that, just becausea store sells guns does not in fact mean anything when it comes to their carry policy.

And yes,I and most of the other OC'ers I know here locally (Pullman and Moscow)do not shop there any more.

Dave R

Rusty_Shackleford

imported post

Here is a recording from Walmart's Marketing office on their policy of carrying a legal firearm in their stores.....they state that it is perfectly fine!!!
where it is legal in your state.
I am not sure where or under what circumstancesthis originated.

If you candownload it to your phone, it might be useful when they stop andquestionyou.

http://www.reachtheworld.net/media/Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.MP3

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

G-16 wrote:
I called my local walmart and I was told the same thing. Only a law enforcement officer could bring a OC weapon into the store. I submitted an inquiry on their website and had a manager call and leave a message stating that in Colorado you are not allowed to open carry anywhere and if I had any questions to contact my local police department.

Which Walmart? I've OC'd in several in the Springs and W.P. without incident.

G-16

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
G-16 wrote:
The one on woodman and powers
Odd, I've OC'd there numerous times without incident. Perhaps the manager either doesn't know Colorado law, doesn't know Walmart policy, or both.
I am really guessing it is both because he said that Colorado was a non open carry state. What was interesting as well is that customer service said that only Law Enforcement was allowed to carry there. Now I just have to see if the manager is willing to call me back so I can get him on the right page.