• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Wouldn't Let Me In

Buckskinner15

imported post

So, today between 9 and 9:30 a.m. I went to Walmart (the one north of Loveland on 287), to pick up some groceries for tonights OC picnic at lake Loveland (and maybe some ammo, if they had any).I walked through the entrance and then heard:

"Sir, sir," from behind.

I turn around, anda guy (I think the greeter) asks me to step aside for a minute so he can ask someone else if it's ok for me to carry my gun in here. I agree, and he asks me ifI have a permit. I say no, you don't need one to OC.He says they had an incident in the last week where someone brought a cased long gun (the horrors!) into the store on his watch and he got in trouble for it.

So along comes another employee. He asks me if I have a permit. I say you don't need one to OC. He doesn't seem to know much more than the first guy, so he calls an assistant manager over.

She tells me that Walmart's policy is no firearms in the store unless you're law enforcement. I ask ifI can talk to her boss, butshe doesn't seem too willing (and maybe I wasn't too insistent).So I get her name and leave. Then I go to King Soopers and give them the business instead.

I'm pretty sure I've read about similar instances on the forum which were rectified, so I'm wondering: who do I contact to get this fixed? I've OC'd in Walmart before, with no problems. My understanding was that Walmart's policy was guided bystate law, unless they changed it recently. Thanks for any info!

opencarrybilly

imported post

Good for you for OCin' We need more people like you.

I cannot answer your question. I am sure others can. I do want to give my personal opinion though. I believe that private properties that are open to the public ought to be required to honor the Constitutional rights of all the People. Maybe folks would like to talk to their legislators about this.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

That store needs to educate it's staff. 'Cased long gun'? 'Sounds like Denver. Was Nancy Pelosi in the store?

zach

imported post

I know that Wally world may be a little skiddish after their incedents with firearms sales and the psycho who came back after a manager and tried to shoot him. Whether they are right or wrong I'm not sure.

(off topic)Just my .02, I stopped shopping at wallyworld years ago, I'm trying to support china if I don't have to....

Buckskinner15

imported post

Update:

So I just used the contact form at this link:

http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

That was posted on the forum here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=26362&forum_id=13&highlight=walmart

I told them what happened and asked them to clarify their policy and give me someone to contact if this happens again. Will see if they get back to me, otherwise I may have to call them.

By the way, are you coming tothe get-together this evening opencarrybilly?

XD40coyote

imported post

That's BS, Walmart's corporate policy is to allow whatever is allowed by the laws of the state the store is in, so if CC is legal in your state, you can CC, and if OC is legal in your state, you can OC.

Hopefully someone higher up can educate these employees at this Walmart and you can OC all you want in there.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Next time inform them of their own company's corporate policy and that they have to abide by that. If they have any problems, talk to corporate.

Trailmaster

imported post

Worked Garden Center in that store years ago! Local manager used to be John Murray, i'll look into it, still have a few connections there!

Good effort though! Picnic was great! Lets all do it again soon!

Buckskinner15

imported post

Trailmaster wrote:
Worked Garden Center in that store years ago! Local manager used to be John Murray, i'll look into it, still have a few connections there!

Good effort though! Picnic was great! Lets all do it again soon!

Thanks!

+1 on the picnic, nice job Rachel!

aadvark

imported post

I have carried a Firearm into Walmart on many different occasions in five different States, and from my experience Walmart's policy is to follow whatever the State Law says as it pertains to the State that the Walmart is located.

Furthermore, I have carried a Rifle into Walmart... and yes that Rifle was a Loaded Rifle, along with a holstered Loaded Pistol and a Knife without any difficulty or any unnessecary Law Enforcement interactions.

Walmart Inc. has clarified their official policy to me on numerous occasions that they will follow the Law of the State that they are in. Besides, it seems ludacris to me that Walmart would have any problemwith someone coming inside with a Firearm or Weapon of any kind because they are readily sold in the Hunting section, almost everyday-especially during hunting season.

Unfortunately, there are some weak-minded employees of theirs who do not know the Law, or misguided managers who seem to think otherwise. To clarify the official position of Walmart for sure I would contact their headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas.

Needless to say, the fact that this event took place in Colorado is odd, because, Colorado has always been an extremely pro-gun State. Outside of Denver, many people are well aware that Firearms are a part of everyday life.

Denver... however... is another story.

SDguy

imported post

When they ask if you have a permit why not just show them one? They are ignorant so play to that ignorance for a bit and see how they respond. We know that OC is legal and no permit is required but when they ask if you have a permit they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

So, just show them a permit and see what takes place next. You can then respond according to their reaction to being shown a CC permit.

Buckskinner15

imported post

SDguy wrote:
When they ask if you have a permit why not just show them one? They are ignorant so play to that ignorance for a bit and see how they respond. We know that OC is legal and no permit is required but when they ask if you have a permit they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

So, just show them a permit and see what takes place next. You can then respond according to their reaction to being shown a CC permit.
Because I don't have a permit and I can't get one. I'm 20 1/2 years old, and you have to be 21 to apply for a cc permit here in CO. But you can OC legally without a permit once you turn 18. Sorry, I should have mentioned this in my post.

John Wolver

imported post

official wally world policy is to follow state law. in idaho oc is legal. colorado too i believe as well. they were wrong. ask for the big boss next time.

aadvark

imported post

The reason I had a Rifle in Walmart is I went to purchase a sling for my Rifle.

It was Loaded, but as I went to the Hunting section of the Store, I unloaded it.

mahkagari

imported post

Okay, the sling I understand. I just couldn't think of a scenario where I would have the rifle loaded if straight from storage to transport. Ibelive in CO it's illegal to transport long guns loaded in a vehicle. I suppose if I was hunting in a SWA right next to Wallyworld, broke my sling and walked over to replace it....

aadvark

imported post

That is where things get tricky though, you see, I walked to my Local Walmart that day, I do not own a motor vehicle.

I carried my Rifle, in plain sight, as is required in my State, and never once did I recieve any hassle from anyone or any needless Police interactions.

I walked some 3 miles to the Walmart, and after I purchased my sling... I was atleast able to carry my Rifle slung across my back instead of in my hands.

I never thought anything about it... I was taught by Father this is way things are to be done.

mahkagari

imported post

I'm having memories of my HS ROTC drill team days. I carried my (demilitarized) rifle on the bus and down Speer in Denver to practice for years before I was stopped by a LEO. I didn't know the laws then and really didn't care since it was basically a dummy gun.

ooghost1oo

imported post

opencarrybilly wrote:
I believe that private properties that are open to the public ought to be required to honor the Constitutional rights of all the People. Maybe folks would like to talk to their legislators about this.
Nope. That's what liberals do, Billy. Freedom's freedom, no matter what.

Private properties have the right to not allow weapons, if they want to be stupid enough to refuse business based on such a silly premise.

(Of course, I'm talking in general. I know Wal-Mart abides by state law.)