• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Wouldn't Let Me In

maynerd

imported post

i walked in to wally world today in falcon made it all the way to electronics before i was stopped by lose prevention they told me i couldnt OC in the store. i asked him why not he said it is against their policy. i said bullshit you need to get the manager. he got the manager MARK i forget his last name he came over and pulled the LP guy t the side and the next thing i was told was to enjoy my shopping :)

Gunslinger

imported post

I was in there tuesday, Browning Hi-Power in clear view. No problems. Even bought some 9mm WWB. But then, I have an honest face...:cool:I've dealt with Mark in the past on returning ammo. Not supposed to, but he exchanged it out for me. They give the exchanged/returned ammo to the Sheriff's Dpt to shoot at the range. Good guy.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I was in there tuesday, Browning Hi-Power in clear view. No problems. Even bought some 9mm WWB. But then, I have an honest face...:cool:I've dealt with Mark in the past on returning ammo. Not supposed to, but he exchanged it out for me. They give the exchanged/returned ammo to the Sheriff's Dpt to shoot at the range. Good guy.

Alright, I gotta ask - why would you return ammo?

G-16

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Mark being the manager? Was this at the Walmart on powers and woodman? If so very strange because he was the one that told me that there was no open carry. I love when people try to change policy whenever they wish.

Needless to say I know the laws and he does not.

maynerd

imported post

hey guys i was talking about the one in falcon of off woodmen and merritian not sure is i spelled that right. mark is a tall guy about 6'2

gsgleason

imported post

I am confused about the discussion of permits for open carry. I was not aware such a thing existed. What are they talking about?

Gunslinger

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Alright, I gotta ask - why would you return ammo?
They handed me a box of 50 JHP W-Ws when I wanted the 100 box of fmjs. I didn't look and the price was the same, so didn't notice until I got home. I only use Federal HST +P 230gr JHPs in my .45s for carry, although W-W JHPs aren't bad for the money. But if I ever need to send one on its way, I want the target to know I cared enough to send the very best...

JohnF

imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
SDguy wrote:
  When they ask if you have a permit why not just show them one? They are ignorant so play to that ignorance for a bit and see how they respond. We know that OC is legal and no permit is required but when they ask if you have a permit they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

So, just show them a permit and see what takes place next. You can then respond according to their reaction to being shown a CC permit.
No, you know what I like to do? hand them a copy of the U.S. and/or Colorado constitutions; that kinda gets them awe struck! (I also can't get a permit yet, only 19)

Don't know what kind of permit it's suggested you show them... I don't know that there's any law against misrepresenting such a thing... Maybe if you printed such a thing, with the fine print <i>*Note: this permit is not in any way a legal paper of the government of the State of Colorado. It was made solely to test people's knowledge and attentiveness*)</i>

If you have a concealed carry permit go ahead and slip it inside your waist line. If they've settled on the policy of no guns, even permitted concealed carry, you have to respect it, until you get it overturned. Educate them in the error of their ways.

In any case, I'd think that along with the spare magazine/speedloader, a regular thing to carry would be a copy of the relevant laws to answer those ignorant questions/comments:
"Do you have a permit"?
"Colorado does not allow carry."
When I start carrying, I may have a set laminated.
It'll be interesting to see how store managers and people on the street, or bus drivers react (I'll have to see if RTD has any policy. I'll bet they're against carry)
In Boulder, I expect it to be a challenge.

So anything further on this? Has Wal Mart of colorado officially ruled that they don't allow open carry or CCW? Has this one store's management just gone around the bend and and decided on their own authority to ban carry of any sort, against corporate policy and State laws?

Interesting to see what happens if someone buys a gun there... You cannot then carry it out of the store! Will the outdoors goods manager meet you at the back door with your new rifle?

275RLTW

imported post

[align=justify]18-9-118. Firearms, explosives, or incendiary devices in facilities of public transportation.[/align]

[align=justify]A person commits a class 6 felony if, without legal authority, he has any loaded firearm or explosive or incendiary device, as defined in section 9-7-103, C.R.S., in his possession in, or carries, brings, or causes to be carried or brought any of such items into, any facility of public transportation, as defined in section 18-9-115 (4).[/align]

There's your answer for RTD

As for Walmart, read (5)

[align=justify]18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.[/align]

18-12-209

bogidu

imported post

I've read this whole thread and the one thing that I think that is being overlooked is that regardless of their policy, it is private property, if the manager decides he/she doesn't want you there (armed or not) and you refuse to leave, he/she WILL call the police and you will be arrested for trespassing.

I believe once that has occurred if you have a ccw permit you can kiss it goodbye, and if you don't, well, you won't be getting one.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Buckskinner15 wrote:
So, today between 9 and 9:30 a.m. I went to Walmart (the one north of Loveland on 287), to pick up some groceries for tonights OC picnic at lake Loveland (and maybe some ammo, if they had any).I walked through the entrance and then heard:

"Sir, sir," from behind.

I turn around, anda guy (I think the greeter) asks me to step aside for a minute so he can ask someone else if it's ok for me to carry my gun in here. I agree, and he asks me ifI have a permit. I say no, you don't need one to OC.He says they had an incident in the last week where someone brought a cased long gun (the horrors!) into the store on his watch and he got in trouble for it.

So along comes another employee. He asks me if I have a permit. I say you don't need one to OC. He doesn't seem to know much more than the first guy, so he calls an assistant manager over.

She tells me that Walmart's policy is no firearms in the store unless you're law enforcement. I ask ifI can talk to her boss, butshe doesn't seem too willing (and maybe I wasn't too insistent).So I get her name and leave. Then I go to King Soopers and give them the business instead.

I'm pretty sure I've read about similar instances on the forum which were rectified, so I'm wondering: who do I contact to get this fixed? I've OC'd in Walmart before, with no problems. My understanding was that Walmart's policy was guided bystate law, unless they changed it recently. Thanks for any info!

Relevant points:

1: Absolutely no permit is needed to OC in a Wal-Mart (or any other store)in Colorado!!!

2. Wal-Mart's policy as indicated in several areas in these forums is to "adhere to the law of the state in which the Wal-Mart resides."

3. Most (perhaps all) states allow private property owners to deny access to carriers of firearms, whether OC or CC.

4. When such organizations as Wal-Mart decide to enact their rights of denying entry to either/or OC or CC weapons-holders, they're facing several considerations:

4a. Criminals rarely open carry. The vast majority of OC citizens are law-abiding.

4b. Open-carry deters criminal activity. What criminal in would rob a store in which a patron in plain view is openly carrying a firearm? The criminal will either leave, or he/she will wait until the owner askes the individual lawfully exercising his right to bear arms to leave the premises.

Note: Sadly, the vast majority of store-owners fail to think this through. They do not consider the vastly reduced crime statistics whereby others were openly carrying their weapons. They fail to consider the vast majority of criminals illegally carry concealed weapons.

Instead, they simply overreact, innocently, yet ignorantly, to a media-hypersensitized member of the puplic who says, "eek - the man has a gun!"

"Yes, but I am, and have been, an honest, law-abiding citizen for more than 40 years. I am not a criminal! What of the many criminals passing through your store today, nearly all of whomwere carrying an illegallyconcealed weapon?"

That simply doesn't register with most store owners. They, as are most people in the US have simply not been properly educated on either citizen rights or criminal justice issues. Sadly, the media usually plays an overbearing, albeit unkowing, part, and has grossly misinformed many at the pressures of special interest groups who have largely blinded the media's insight intothe actual governing laws. Thus, it's become a sensationalist issue, not a factual issue.

I think [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZic2VFGyI"Nightline's Coverage on Open Carry[/url} is perhaps one of the best, most objective pieces I have ever seen on this issue. It's not the typical NRA extremist (drag everything to one end, because the others who're trying to drag everything to the other). Nor is it the typical anti-gun liberalist media piece to which most of us have been subject since WWII. It's simple a simple, clear piece on the issue and the people.

We Americans have grown smarter than this in the last couple hundred years! Such ploys do us no justice, and may have done this issue grave harm.

Rather, it is a very simple enforcement of our Constitutional right to "keep and bear arms" for personal defense against "all enemies, foreign and domestic," to which I swore myself long ago, and to which I hold dear to this very day.

For now, I rest my case.

bogidu

imported post

Relevant points:

1: Absolutely no permit is needed to OC in a Wal-Mart (or any other store)in Colorado!!!

2. Wal-Mart's policy as indicated in several areas in these forums is to "adhere to the law of the state in which the Wal-Mart resides."

3. Most (perhaps all) states allow private property owners to deny access to carriers of firearms, whether OC or CC.

4. When such organizations as Wal-Mart decide to enact their rights of denying entry to either/or OC or CC weapons-holders, they're facing several considerations:
So does point number 3 override point number 1? If so, then it seems to me that the store manager is the one who has theability to involve the authorities if they deem fit.

Point number 2 is kinda moot being that in my experience the average Walmart store manager is only in one location for 18 months before being moved elsewhere, seems to be the 'how to avoid accountability' ploy at work. And from the stories in the forums they seem to have random and selective memory when it comes to the rules.

Bill

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gsgleason wrote:
I am confused about the discussion of permits for open carry. I was not aware such a thing existed. What are they talking about?
Nothing except brainless chatter. There are no "permits" required for OC in Colorado.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bogidu wrot
So does point number 3 override point number 1? If so, then it seems to me that the store manager is the one who has theability to involve the authorities if they deem fit.
Yes, they do, as they're the ones "on the premises." Regardless of whether they're violating corporate policy or not, the local Wal-Mart manager has the right under CO state law to set the stage with respect to trespassing if you don't comply with any employee's request to leave.

However, you're free to deny them your business, post the incident online, and address the issue with the manager's supervisor.

repojoker

imported post

I think your local Wal Mart is just a bunch of a holes. I have gone into the one off of Colfax and Wads numerous times and no has said a thing. One time I was even wearing light blue jeans and a black long sleeve shirt tucked in and my XD was very visible.

desettle

imported post

I also have OC'd in Walmart on Qubec and C470, several times,with no problems at all. I even had the Customer Service Manager come over to help the cashier with something not ringing up correctly, and received no comments. I was wearing a tan 3-button shirt, tucked in, and light colored blue jeans, with my black Glock 23 in a black blackhawk CQC level ii holster, very easy to see that I was open carrying.

My son stated that the cashier looked down at my gun, but again did not say a word about it.

-desettle

Pace

imported post

My time in Colorado, no problem in a single store, including Walmart. I know the corporate people at Walmart, have asked them numerous times, as said here, the policy is whatever the law is regarding firearms. Walmart has enough issues without pissing off a large percentage of the American population.

Pace

imported post

No, but gun owners ARE a large segment of the population and the OC movement is having enormous influence on what being a gun owner means. It's not being defined by one party, one thought, but people who want to protect themselves and their rights.