• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel Icon Says He'll Avoid Arizona Because of Gun Laws

MatieA

imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,541522,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g2:r3:c0.147536:b27299756:z0

Saturday , August 22, 2009

foxnews_story.gif

Well-known travel icon Arthur Frommer said he'll avoid visiting Arizona because state laws permit "thugs" and "extremists" to openly tote guns.

Frommer, the author of budget-travel guides, said on his blog[/url] Wednesday that he was "shocked beyond measure" by reports that protesters openly carried guns and rifles outside a Phoenix building where President Barack Obama spoke on Monday.

As a result, Frommer said he won't be spending his tourism dollars at the Grand Canyon, or anywhere else in Arizona, because he doesn't want to travel in a state where civilians carry loaded weapons as a means of political protest.

"I will cancel any plans to vacation or otherwise visit in Arizona until I learn more," Frommer wrote. "And I will begin thinking about whether tourists should safeguard themselves by avoiding stays in Arizona."

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon says he spoke with Frommer on Thursday and invited him to visit the city to clear up any possible misconceptions about safety.

More coverage at MyFOXPhoenix.com.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

FrankC

imported post

Neat! Maybe he should just go to New York where handguns are banned making it much safer for the populace and evening walks are encouraged....laff\

Legba

imported post

That's funny - when I saw the headline I assumed they were complaining about overly restrictive gun laws, a la New York, Illinois, etc. I guess the joke's on him, since most states allow carry in some form. He needs to avoid Ohio while he's at it - we thugs and extremists don't care for whiners whose only real complaint is that they have been ignorant of the law all along.

-ljp

WheelGun

imported post

FrankC wrote:
Neat! Maybe he should just go to New York where handguns are banned making it much safer for the populace and evening walks are encouraged....laff
I wouldn't want to be a left-wing anti-gun travel critic in Delaware County N.Y., especially in the fall during the various hunting seasons.

However if you want to write an article about small, locally-owned rifle and pistol club ranges, you couldvisit one every ten to fifteen minutes by car.

With a License to Carry, in these parts, OC or CC is the firearms owner's option, especially in the back country.

N00blet45

imported post

That means he'll have to avoid about 44 states. We should all write a nice letter to the man thanking him for not coming to our respective states and spreading his intellectual filth.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Article 2 Section 26 (AZC): "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men."

The AZ Constitution has been in effect since 1912 (Statehood) and in practice for at least 2 centuries prior. Concealed carry wasn't even an option until 1994. 'Thugs and extremists'?This pantywaist pinko would do well to check gun laws in the US. His traveling would be limited to about 4 states 'n his own kitchen. Whutta tool!

shad0wfax

imported post

OpenKeep wrote:
Don't just avoid Arizona Mr. Frommer; Avoid EVERY state except for TX, OK, AR, IL, NY, SC, FL, and the D.C.

Every OTHER state in our wonderful union allows the open carry of firearms in public. Welcome to the United States of America Mr. Frommer.

:lol: :celebrate

Sonora Rebel

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
OpenKeep wrote:
Don't just avoid Arizona Mr. Frommer; Avoid EVERY state except for TX, OK, AR, IL, NY, SC, FL, and the D.C.

Every OTHER state in our wonderful union allows the open carry of firearms in public. Welcome to the United States of America Mr. Frommer.

:lol: :celebrate

Ehhh... not quite... NJ & MD... you can't OC a paperclip... CCW is near impossible. RI (CCW only I think). At any rate... Fromme's obviously been 'out of touch' with this nations firearmsculture his entire life.

All of a suddenFromme views 'Zonies as 'thugs and extremists' for bearing arms?'Begs to wonder if he's even actually 'been here'? (Kind'a like the guy who wrote "3:10 to Yuma"... ) Obviously... he's never paid much attention to the 'people' who actually inhabit the areas he writes about. (Or supposedly writes about.) Methinks he's just shot himself in the foot with his 'rant'... and exposed himself as a fraud.

shad0wfax

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Ehhh... not quite... NJ & MD... you can't OC a paperclip... CCW is near impossible. RI (CCW only I think). At any rate... Fromme's obviously been 'out of touch' with this nations firearmsculture his entire life.

All of a suddenFromme views 'Zonies as 'thugs and extremists' for bearing arms?'Begs to wonder if he's even actually 'been here'? (Kind'a like the guy who wrote "3:10 to Yuma"... ) Obviously... he's never paid much attention to the 'people' who actually inhabit the areas he writes about. (Or supposedly writes about.) Methinks he's just shot himself in the foot with his 'rant'... and exposed himself as a fraud.

I wasn't sure how tough licenses were to obtain in NJ, MD, and RI. I know the licenses are required for OC there and the eastern seaboard in general is prone to draconian gun laws.

3:10 to Yuma was a disappointment on many levels, much like Fromme is.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

MD and NJ are near non-existant. OC is NO... anywhere.

3:10 to Yuma: Bisbee is not a flat dusty cow town... it's a mining town (Copper) nestled in a very steep canyon. The period of the 'tale' is about 1883. The 'Dragoon mountains are about 40 miles NE of Bisbee... and 'Contention' (when it existed) was hardly the frontier metropolis depicted, but about 25 miles NW of Bisbee.They would'a had to take the 'scenic' route across the desertto get there. Tombstone isn't mentioned at all... but is 22 miles N of Bisbee and had a perfectly good jail to hold 'Ben Wade'. The surface pumps at the Grand Central and Contention Mines burned in 1886. When Tombstone's mines flooded in 1887, that was the end of Contention. Even from the Dragoons ... you'd still have to go thru Tombstone to get to the Charleston Rd to Contention. Charleston (from the road of the same name)was destroyed by the earthquake of 1887. '87 wasn't a good year. End of AZ geography/history lesson. :)

shad0wfax

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
MD and NJ are near non-existant. OC is NO... anywhere.

3:10 to Yuma: Bisbee is not a flat dusty cow town... it's a mining town (Copper) nestled in a very steep canyon. The period of the 'tale' is about 1883. The 'Dragoon mountains are about 40 miles NE of Bisbee... and 'Contention' (when it existed) was hardly the frontier metropolis depicted, but about 25 miles NW of Bisbee.They would'a had to take the 'scenic' route across the desertto get there. Tombstone isn't mentioned at all... but is 22 miles N of Bisbee and had a perfectly good jail to hold 'Ben Wade'. The surface pumps at the Grand Central and Contention Mines burned in 1886. When Tombstone's mines flooded in 1887, that was the end of Contention. Even from the Dragoons ... you'd still have to go thru Tombstone to get to the Charleston Rd to Contention. Charleston (from the road of the same name)was destroyed by the earthquake of 1887. '87 wasn't a good year. End of AZ geography/history lesson. :)
I've only been through the Sonora Desert and to Phoenix coming from the CA side. I don't think we ever made it down to Tombstone and I know for sure we never went as far south as Bisbee.

Idontownone

imported post

MatieA wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,541522,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g2:r3:c0.147536:b27299756:z0

foxnews_story.gif

Well-known travel icon Arthur Frommer said he'll avoid visiting Arizona because state laws permit "thugs" and "extremists" to openly tote guns.

Frommer, the author of budget-travel guides, said on his blog[/url] Wednesday that he was "shocked beyond measure" by reports that protesters openly carried guns and rifles outside a Phoenix building where President Barack Obama spoke on Monday.

As a result, Frommer said he won't be spending his tourism dollars at the Grand Canyon, or anywhere else in Arizona, because he doesn't want to travel in a state where civilians carry loaded weapons as a means of political protest.

"I will cancel any plans to vacation or otherwise visit in Arizona until I learn more," Frommer wrote. "And I will begin thinking about whether tourists should safeguard themselves by avoiding stays in Arizona."

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon says he spoke with Frommer on Thursday and invited him to visit the city to clear up any possible misconceptions about safety.

That is a great thing. Maybe the gun-nuts in the Arizona senate will eventually see that their stupid OC also comes with a financial downside. There is no misconception of safety. Arizona is filled with millions of gun-whackos. Of which some will move on to being criminals in the hear future.

MatieA

imported post

Idontownone wrote:
MatieA wrote:

foxnews_story.gif

That is a great thing. Maybe the gun-nuts in the Arizona senate will eventually see that their stupid OC also comes with a financial downside. There is no misconception of safety. Arizona is filled with millions of gun-whackos. Of which some will move on to being criminals in the hear future.
You sir are an idiot, and I do hope that this idiot and yourself stay out of my state as well. Do yourself a favor; research gun laws for each state and the crime rate for those same states. Unless you are a true idiot you will see a correlation there that makes your statements invalid.

XD40coyote

imported post

Actually in MD there are 2 instances where OC is allowed without a MD carry lisc.

-on your own property that you own, property you rent or lease, or property you reside on. Also, if you go to your neighbors property to target shoot.

-while hunting or trapping on property other than your own . Though the law is a little cloudy about the gun being loaded, but if I was hunting squirrels with my S and W 617, I'd have it loaded as I don't think the squirrels will stay put while I load the gun. See a squirrel, draw, aim, fire. I doubt a DNR officer is going to get totally anal if the gun is loaded and you are following all pertinent hunting/trapping regulations. Heckmost of themprobably don't even know the MD handgun law code, just the hunting law codes.

In addition, long gun open carry is legal in MD. If I wanted to just walk around private farmland I have permission to be on and felt there might be a risk of meth labs in the back 40 or something, I could wear my shotgun on a sling over my shoulder.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Idontownone wrote:
MatieA wrote:

foxnews_story.gif

Absurdity is that a vast majority of the country would have to be avoided by the author. Take a look at how extensively states allow OC.

opencarry.html
http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

Yata hey