• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is FTF legal in Idaho?

derekc23

imported post

I recently relocated to Idaho from West Virginia and need to sell several of my rifles (AR, SKS, MN 91/30, 870 shotty).

Is face-to-face legal here? We could do it back in WV with no problem but I don't know about Idaho.

Thanks!

Derek

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Certainly...you could meet me at a gas station and sell one to me. :) So long as I don't have reason to believe you're a felon or other prohibited person under federal law, you're good to go.

Welcome to Idaho; You should join us at the fair tonight. Bring some of those guns too, I'm sure there would be several interested in looking.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

I'm not sure if there is a time requirement for "residency" but you might look into that. Obviously if you're still a WV resident (like if your DL is still from WV) you can not sell without going through an FFL. Otherwise, welcome to Idaho, enjoy the site and your rights... and stay safe!

American Rattlesnake

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
I'm not sure if there is a time requirement for "residency" but you might look into that. Obviously if you're still a WV resident (like if your DL is still from WV) you can not sell without going through an FFL. Otherwise, welcome to Idaho, enjoy the site and your rights... and stay safe!
Can you provide a citation for this?

Edited to reflect correction. See below!

American Rattlesnake

imported post

NavyLT,
Thank you for the correction. I was badly misinformed on this topic. For others who might be confused, the BATFE FAQ page helps cut through the legalese:

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]