• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yard sale carry - what would you do?

At your own home yard sale in the city would you:

• 1. Concealed Carry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Unloaded Open Carry

• 4. No Carry

• Total voters

moleculo

imported post

I'll be having a yard sale in a few weeks in my own front yard/driveway that is on my property which I own. My kids will be doing most of the selling and handling of the money, but I will be watching & supervising. As you may know, a decent sized yard sale can result in a few hundred dollars or more being on hand in the "register". For me, the riskthat someone I don't know could try to rob the event is more than I'm willing to take lightly. In the past, I have concealed carried during the event.

So here's the poll to see how you would handle the same situation:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

It would depend on how skittish regular folks are about guns in your area. If the peeps are gonna get all upset about seeing a gun on a hip, then I wouldn't OC. But if it wouldn't bother the average cheapsk...uh, I mean, thrifty garage sale-er...then OC would be OK.

Are you selling any guns/ammo/accessories at the yard sale?

coolusername2007

imported post

Voted UOC. I would not LOC unless you are in an unincorporated area. If you LOC, be sure you don't step out of your garage, because this could cause you problems. Its your property, if people don't like you UOC'ing then they can leave. Just be mindful that your sales may suffer, though I would doubt it. Perfect opportunity to educate on UOC.

moleculo

imported post

HankT wrote:
Are you selling any guns/ammo/accessories at the yard sale?
I wasn't planning on it, but I probably have extra ammo from guns I no longer own that I should find & sell.

Decoligny

imported post

If you are in an incorporated city, then you are limited by the law to the following choices:

1. Unloaded Concealed Carry. PC 12025 does not apply on private property. However you can't carry loaded. This is due to the People v. Overturf ruling that the language in 12031 "any public place" includes private property that is accessable to the public. While it is legal to carry loaded and concealed on "private" private property (fenced in backyard), it is not legal on "public" private property.

2. Unloaded Open Carry. Same case law as above, loaded would violate 12031 via Overturf.

If you are in an unincorporated area where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited by law, then you have a thirdand fourth option:

3. Loaded Concealed Carry. PC 12025 doesn't apply on private property. Since 12031 doesn't apply in non-prohibited areas of unincorporated territory, then People v. Overturf does not apply either.

4. Loaded Open Carry. Since 12031 doesn't apply in non-prohibited areas of unincorporated territory, then People v. Overturf does not apply either.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

+1 to Decoligny, as usual he's on top of it.

I vote for UOC because of the deterrence factor. Say you conceal carry and some guy does rob your kids for the cash box. What are you going to do? Draw on him. And if he runs away then you're stuck with chasing after him or letting him run and calling the police. You can't shoot him because he's not endangering anybody.

Now if he is scoping out the situation and he sees that you have a gun on you, he'll likely change his mind and go find easier prey.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

moleculo wrote:
I wasn't planning on it, but I probably have extra ammo from guns I no longer own that I should find & sell.

I always consider it a good day when I findammo at a garage sale. Hell, I even buy calibers I don't have guns for. Ya never know...:lol:

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

Well, I have been told many times that it is different up here but I voted anyway. Loaded open carry every summer at our sale and every Saturday with my wife while we go to other peoples sales.

Decoligny

imported post

Alaskan Shooter wrote:
Well, I have been told many times that it is different up here but I voted anyway. Loaded open carry every summer at our sale and every Saturday with my wife while we go to other peoples sales.

What is perfectly legal in Alaska is a possible felony charge in California.

See my post above for the legal options. They depend greatlyupon location (incorporated/unincorporated).

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

One detail is missing... is your home within a "gun free school zone"?

Even though the statute specifically exempts you while on private property, we already know some DAs are looking to "make new law" through the judicial process.

So, if in a school zone, I would carry unloaded in a locked container. If not in a school zone, then i would open carry unloaded.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

I'm going to go unorthodox here. Worst case scenario is that your rights are violated up the yin yang (even beyond the letter of the victim disarmament laws), since we live in CA where the Constitution does not apply.

If you have a 2nd story window for overwatch, that would be nice.

But if you're just standing back within your garage or house and stepping forward occasionally just to help...
Empty concealed holster - wear
Loaded handgun that fits in the holster behind a quickly lockable safe, door or window of some sort, not visible unless you go out of your way to reveal it - semi-quick grab and fire, or grab and holster
If you have one and think it won't scare away non-criminals, long gun next to you as deterrent with rounds either on you or buttstock

As far as the register's contents, I would just leave 4 quarters, 5 ones, 2 fives, and 1 ten for making change. All the rest gets "banked" in the house.

Unfortunately it's been a long time since I could have a true yard or garage sale on my own property.