• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in car

svelectric

imported post

My dad lives in NV and I'll be visiting next week. I've just obtained my Utah permit, which isn't recognized by good ole nevada anymore. I have 2 questions.

1. Is there a specific way to "open carry" in your car in NV. I know I can open carry in public, and iirc, you can in your car, but if it's on my hip, it's kind of hidden.

2. Crossing border between concealed/open carry state. Can I just tuck my shirt in at that moment, or do I need to pull over, case then gun, cross the border, then put in a holster on the otherside?

Thanks for any help!

Ted

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The first question is discussed in this topic:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/29723.html

To the second question, I think it's technically required to do as you suggest to be perfectly legal if you are concealed legally in State 1 which prohibits OC and then enter State 2 where you can OC but do not have a license to CC.

Can you name the two states you're talking about? If it's Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Arizona, just OC the whole time. If you prefer to CC, just unconceal before entering a state where you may not conceal.

Erus

imported post

Without a Nevada CCW permit (or one that NV recognizes) You may carry in the car openly, or concealed, in anyway you damn well please, except for concealed directly on your person. (for example under a shirt, the glove box, under the seat, etc. all legal)
I do not have the cite, but federal law allows for crossing state lines between states with compatible laws without making changes. (For example, I cross hover dam into Arizona without touching my firearm that is half tucked under teh fold-down console/armrest in my truck.

Crossing into/from Utah means you have to comply with Utah law in Utah, and then NV law in Nevada, etc....
In NV you can carry fully loaded, openly or concealed in your car, except as noted above, with one in the pipe for a handgun, and a long gun may be fully loaded, but must not have a round chambered.

Hope that helps.

* added.. Tim said it better. Thanks Tim. :dude:

svelectric

imported post

Excellent responses thank you!

The car carry makes much more sense now. If I'm standing outside my car with it on my hip open, makes sense I can just get in my car without doing anything fancy. (just don't pull my shirt over it)

I'll be traveling into NV from Idaho. I think the only manuever I'll have to do is unconceal. I do travel from Utah into NV as well, but that would be the same manuever.

With that said, I'll also be traveling between states where my permit is recognized, and I should be safe keeping it on me, concealed. (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Thanks again!

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

State laws do vary. It's best to check out the state laws directly. One useful resource I found was:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

This site has a PDF file for each state. I recommend logging in and printing out a PDF for each state you'll be traveling through.

It covers places OFF LIMITS even with a permit (such as airports, courthouses, schools, etc.). It lists the applicable DEADLY FORCE laws, which are essential to know if you're traveling armed. Can you be lawfully armed at parks and rest stops along your journey? What are the knife and body armor laws?

All very useful information you'll find useful to know along your journey.

Good luck and have fun! I love road trips.

Tim

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

svelectric wrote:
I'll be traveling into NV from Idaho. I think the only manuever I'll have to do is unconceal. I do travel from Utah into NV as well, but that would be the same manuever.
If you are already OCing in Idaho you wont have to do anything when you cross the border ......:dude:

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Then 1 mile before the ID/NV border, tuck your shirt behind your weapon and you should be good to go. If you're using an IWB holster for concealment, I would recommend an OWB holster for OC. Pushes the weapon a little farther from your body helping minimize "accidental" concealment if it's windy, etc. It also should help in case you are stopped/questioned by police to mitigate any unlawful concealment accusations.

Tim

svelectric

imported post

Well, my trip was uneventful, carrying nearly the entire time following each states laws, etc. I open carried in the car and on a motorcycle in Nevada (no issues in Elko County). I went to walmart, restaurants, a pawn shop, etc. Only the guy at the gun counter of CAL Ranch stores made a comment (in jest). Have a good one!

Ted

iSharpShooter

imported post

Glad to hear it!!! I'm not the least bit surprised to hear you had no problems in Elko County! I've OC'd and CC'd (on a formerly recognized Utah permit) in Elko for years and years). I've had many, many encounters with police, fire, county and local officials (I'm an IT consultant). The subject came up once with a friend who is an official and I was told that in the particular building I was in, there were probably more people CC'ing than not. Elko is a GREAT place!

svelectric

imported post

Elko is a great place. I'm glad my dad lives there, neat place to visit on a budget. Lamoille Canyon and Angel Lake (near Wells to the east) are my favs. We also did a little bit of desert shooting, just drive out a few miles, setup some targets and have at it (in a safe way). Next time I visit, I plan on staying an extra day to get a non res permit.