• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSNBC poll

PDinDetroit

imported post

Yes, 64%.

I voted for OC being appropriate at all times, when the person so elects to. I personally would not OC just to "make a statement" about an issue other than OC for Personal Protection.

The comments are there are quite telling... I believe that those who voted NO would not be able to VOTE without such rights being exercised. They seem to believe that FAIRNESS would rule the day.

Very childish and naive.

Veritas

imported post

Some of the comments are just plain ignorant.

"Oh carrying a gun is a detriment to the safety of the entire crowd..." Yeah? Only if you use it to break the law... otherwise it's no more harmful than a parked vehicle.

"Oh carrying a gun distracts the Secret Service from doing their job..." It may also distract the bad guy from breaking the law. It's the job of the Secret Service to protect the President... it's a tough job, sure. And not to sound like I don't care about the President's safety (I do), but it's not the SS's job to make things easier for themselves by violating Constitutional freedoms.

"Oh carrying a gun is an abuse of your rights..." You can never abuse a right... period.

Bottom line is this: It's Constitutionally protected. 'Nuff said.

Veritas

imported post

Nevermind the fact that police officers on the scene are not absolved from liability for doing foolish things with firearms. If police are allowed to carry guns, then by golly, so should we.

Bronson

imported post

Veritas wrote:

"Oh carrying a gun distracts the Secret Service from doing their job..." It may also distract the bad guy from breaking the law. It's the job of the Secret Service to protect the President... it's a tough job, sure. And not to sound like I don't care about the President's safety (I do), but it's not the SS's job to make things easier for themselves by violating Constitutional freedoms.

In every article I've read where they talk toa rep. from the Secret Service about this issue the rep. has always said it doesn't change their job in the least. The people with firearms are nowhere near the President and aren't even attempting to enter the building. They are outside of the sterile areas and are covered by State/local law and as such the SS doesn'tworry about them.

Bronson

LFB

imported post

Ummm duh if I'm showing you I have a gun, isn't it safer for you to be able to see it?

Seeing my lawfully carried firearm, would seem to put less concern than seeing my concealed firearm.

Veritas

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Veritas wrote:

In every article I've read where they talk toa rep. from the Secret Service about this issue the rep. has always said it doesn't change their job in the least. The people with firearms are nowhere near the President and aren't even attempting to enter the building. They are outside of the sterile areas and are covered by State/local law and as such the SS doesn'tworry about them.

Bronson
Good point. Thanks for clarifying.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Veritas wrote:
Bronson wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Bronson

Don't forget, theSecret Service hasaccess to the best lawyers.

And, they have that experience last year with Mountain Jack OCing in the park. They've had time to get all their ducks in a row since then.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Bronson wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Bronson

And, they have that experience last year with Mountain Jack OCing in the park. They've had time to get all their ducks in a row since then.
Citizen, IIRC, the Secret Service had their ducks in a row. It was alocal PD that was the problem.

emptypockets

imported post

I voted no because you never know when a gun is going to spontaneously jump out of the holster while the owner isn't looking and sneak off to wreck havoc across the county.

Just kidding, I voted "yes" as well. A Constitutional right remains a Constitutional right even when the One is present.

A point about the assassin comment. If a guy is going to assassinate the president, do we really think that he is going to be giving himself away before he has the chance to accomplish his plan? I think not. The media comes up with to many straw man arguments to remain credible with those who think for themselves.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Bronson wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Bronson

Citizen, IIRC, the Secret Service had their ducks in a row. It was alocal PD that was the problem.
It was actual the state police that filled charges.