• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So how much is enough?

buster81

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:

So the bottom line is this: if you REALLY want to move elsewhere, there are plenty of options out there. Sureit's difficult, but it's very doable. Butso far it seems that all you're willing to do is whineand complain about howbadit is here and how difficult it is to move elsewhere - butthat attitudeis not gonna lead you anywhere...

This is it. It's so much easier to just sit around in your high chair and complain.

I am also an immigrant into the US, and I was able to navigate the convoluted set of forms, regulations, interviews, and other hurdles. I guess some people aren't motivated enough.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I have a GREAT idea for a new Government project, one that would unlike Obamacare save money and make it sooooo much better in the USA. I would call it the Grants and aid To Foriegn-emigrating Americans Office , or GTFO. The Office would assist in any American Citizen who wished to renounce his/her citizenship and assist them in migrating to whatever country they think better suits them. Brochures could be printed with the slogan:

[align=center]"DONT LIKE THE GOOD OLD USA?[/align]
[align=center]GTFO![/align]
[align=left]This could do much good in ridding us of malcontents, and maybe Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin and those other foks who promised to leave if Bush was elected could be helped out the door next time they vow to leave.[/align]

suntzu

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
r6-rider wrote:
besides id be one of the "government" guys ordered to do searches and i can assure you, every house i check would just be another "law abiding citizen and no weapons were found"
Just give Obama some form of social unrest and he will "ask" the UN for assistance.
The reason why the Japanese ruled out a full invasion of mainland US was because they felt that there would be a gun behind every blade of grass and behind every tree.

what do you think would happen if the blue hats tried anything even remotely like gun confiscation here?

foreign soldiers policing US streets would be a recipe for disaster.

suntzu

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I have a GREAT idea for a new Government project, one that would unlike Obamacare save money and make it sooooo much better in the USA. I would call it the Grants and aid To Foriegn-emigrating Americans Office , or GTFO. The Office would assist in any American Citizen who wished to renounce his/her citizenship and assist them in migrating to whatever country they think better suits them. Brochures could be printed with the slogan:

[align=center]"DONT LIKE THE GOOD OLD USA?[/align]
[align=center]GTFO![/align]
[align=left]This could do much good in ridding us of malcontents, and maybe Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin and those other foks who promised to leave if Bush was elected could be helped out the door next time they vow to leave.[/align]
I would like to see all anti-gunner, go for anything gutless liberals permanently deported to France.

suntzu

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Oh puh-leeze, folks. The police are NOT the enemy. Why don't you bash cabdrivers, hell, I would understand. Every day I have to deal with people who don't think I know where stuff is and/or want to take them "the long way" and often they are openly insulting about it ie: "I know you cabdrivers, so don't tell me there's construcction on Glebe road so you can take the parkway and make another five bucks" AND then when we run into a ten-minute delay on the "short cut", start bitching about why the meter is kicking up time when the cab is not moving. And in my case more than an LEO's this suspicion is somewhat justified as there ARE lots of drivers who pull stuff like that. They are in the minority, but one wild fist can black a lot of eyes. Proportionately, however; the ratio of marginal cabbies to marginal LEOs is pretty big. Granted the damage a rogue LEO can do to a life is in most cases MUCH greater than what a lousy cabbie can inflict, but as far as infection of a profession with bad apples, Law Enforcement can't hold a candle to the taxicab industry. (on the other hand, very few robbers knowingly select LEOs for robbery/murder). I have LEO experience and know that most LEOs are not "tools of the State" but rather ordinary citizzens who have chosen as a calling to wear or carry the shield or star in our name.

Perhaps in a completely homogenous society there would be no need for formal Law Enforcement save in the case of truly major crimes. But our nation is a glorious hodgepodge of cosmopolitan cities and parochial counties withan not insignifigant amount of places in between the two extremes. It is not law enforcement which is the root of the problem, it is rather the laack of enforcement of the basic law - which makes all other law legitamate - that leads to perversions of justice. The individual LEO is caught in the middle, and he catches all the hell.

Government is power, and power must be wielded by people. Giving people power to wield means that - being human - some of the wielders will abuse it. It is not a perfect situation but (at this writing) it is one damn sight better here in the USA than on anywhere on the planet. Especially in my profession, a cop car in the rearview mirror can be very reassuring indeed....
I'm sorry--but the police are indeed tools of the state. The same way the KGB was for the USSR. Most of the police simply cannot be trusted under any type of circumstances. They violate Constitutionally protected rights at every turn and then try to do everything they can to not take responsibility for their corrupt acts, they think they can do anything they want to anyone and get away with it.

Take a look at what happened in Jericho, Arkansas where the police shot the fire chief IN the courtroom in front of a judge simply for speaking out against their abuses...http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090903/ap_on_re_us/us_shot_in_court

and then there is the case of an entire police department in Spring Lake, North Carolina which was completely stripped of its law enforcement powers...

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5078845/

my favorite quote from that article is this one "In a letter Monday to Chief District Judge Elizabeth Keever, District Attorney Edward Grannis said he has also dismissed the majority of the police department's pending misdemeanor cases.

He said he suspects senior officers of lying and directing other officers to fabricate facts in police reports. We can no longer rely upon the basic presumed integrity of the work product of this department," he said. "

the entire department stripped of all of its authority because of corruption issues...

The police are simply not to be trusted.

I would like to see more civilian oversight nationwide, in every city and town, large and small, including an ability by the oversight boards to take cases directly to the grand jury by use of a specially appointed attorney appointed by the governor or state district attorney.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I second that Kent Oh Pd is out of control they think just because your as young as their kids they can search your car without warrent and give out speeding tickets and then the Traffic court judge that everyone goes to see is facing charges of corruption. Ohh goody well I had an Idea, disband the local Police stations all of them then its the responsibility of the people of the neighborhood to patrol neighborhoods. No more bs no speeding tickets only responce to real crimes period.

Alexcabbie

imported post

The reciting of cases where entire police departments were completely disbanded because of abuses is shocking, but at least such occurrences are NEWS and not everyday ho-hum events. And things used to be a damned sight worse in this country. Have you ever seen the picture of the cops accused of aiding and abetting the murder of civil-rights workers in (I think) 1963 sitting in court in their sloppy uniforms, grinning and one of them dipping into a bag of "RedMan" chaw?

There was a time, and not so long ago, when cops in certain small jurisdictions were hired and sworn in under personal recommendation by other cops; and handed a badge and a copy of the Ten Commandments and told "Make sure you obey these and that everybody else does the same". Taliban, anyone? :what:

The police are an absolutely essential element of defense of the community aginst BGs. And if you live on a residential secondary street where people cut through and your kids are playing ball, I guarantee that you welcome that radar unit sitting there. For my part I am very happy to know that if a passenger is showing signs of being bad trouble, a flash of my brights or an "SOS" via the brake lights can bring an armed backup to my rescue.

Most importantly the police are part of the government and the government is US. (despite endless attempts to make it otherwise) and the cure for these evils is robust participation a la Heller v. D.C. Forums like this are important for the dissemination of information and ideas. But if all you do is sit at your keyboard and bitch, you contribute about as much to a solution as I cxontribute to my bnk account by pontificating about where and when to pick up fares.. Talk is cheap. In the words of (anti-gun) Maryland's State Motto: "Fatti Maschi, Parole Femine" Men act. Women yap. (Yeah I know the libs have translated it "Manly deeds, Womanly words", but when Alexandria was being overrun in 1861 where was Maryland? Across the river, cowering.)

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
The reciting of cases where entire police departments were completely disbanded because of abuses is shocking, but at least such occurrences are NEWS and not everyday ho-hum events.
They're "news" in the same way that a young starlet with drug trouble is "news." Interesting, lurid, but not surprising.

Your argument is ridiculous.

The thousands of police abuses that occur, every day, would also be interesting if aired, but we don't have details of them all.

The police are an absolutely essential element of defense of the community aginst BGs.
Sell the P.R. somewhere else. "Catching bad guys" makes for good scripts to "Law and Order," but the reality of police is that their overwhelming activity is directed against motorists, drug users and internet users, i.e., sitting ducks in victimless crimes who are easy to catch.

They long ago stopped focusing primarily on bad guys and changed their focus to "law enforcement." When that switch occurred, America fell to a coup, and America became ruled by a citizen suppression army.

Alexcabbie

imported post

There are thousands of cases of abuses great and small at every level of government every day. Police lie to make a case. A city councilman pushes through a zoning variance for a kickback.

And bank tellers and store managers skim the till, and waiters steal credit card numbers, and car salesmen, dont even get me started.

Some guy at a gun show sold me a "Genuine" Gestapo warrant disc that turned out to be a Lithuanian counterfiet, and I count myself lucky to only be out $50.

Corruption is endemic to the human condition, and only a bleeding FOOL thinks that a "perfect society" is attainable. We can only try to make things as good as possible given the willingness and devvotion to this aim of the citizenry, which is really not all that much. Bitch all you want, but if yu do not ACT, it is naught but vain babbling.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
There are thousands of cases of abuses great and small at every level of government every day. Police lie to make a case. A city councilman pushes through a zoning variance for a kickback.

And bank tellers and store managers skim the till, and waiters steal credit card numbers, and car salesmen, dont even get me started.
Don't you dare lump the cops' crimes against America and Liberty in with a car salesman lowballing you on your trade-in. People are dead, abused, intimidated, raped, molested, tortured at the hands of cops, and you find equivalence with a sleazy alderman?

Shame on you.

suntzu

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
The reciting of cases where entire police departments were completely disbanded because of abuses is shocking, but at least such occurrences are NEWS and not everyday ho-hum events. And things used to be a damned sight worse in this country. Have you ever seen the picture of the cops accused of aiding and abetting the murder of civil-rights workers in (I think) 1963 sitting in court in their sloppy uniforms, grinning and one of them dipping into a bag of "RedMan" chaw?

There was a time, and not so long ago, when cops in certain small jurisdictions were hired and sworn in under personal recommendation by other cops; and handed a badge and a copy of the Ten Commandments and told "Make sure you obey these and that everybody else does the same". Taliban, anyone? :what:

The police are an absolutely essential element of defense of the community aginst BGs. And if you live on a residential secondary street where people cut through and your kids are playing ball, I guarantee that you welcome that radar unit sitting there. For my part I am very happy to know that if a passenger is showing signs of being bad trouble, a flash of my brights or an "SOS" via the brake lights can bring an armed backup to my rescue.

Most importantly the police are part of the government and the government is US. (despite endless attempts to make it otherwise) and the cure for these evils is robust participation a la Heller v. D.C. Forums like this are important for the dissemination of information and ideas. But if all you do is sit at your keyboard and bitch, you contribute about as much to a solution as I cxontribute to my bnk account by pontificating about where and when to pick up fares.. Talk is cheap. In the words of (anti-gun) Maryland's State Motto: "Fatti Maschi, Parole Femine" Men act. Women yap. (Yeah I know the libs have translated it "Manly deeds, Womanly words", but when Alexandria was being overrun in 1861 where was Maryland? Across the river, cowering.)
Yeah, I'm well aware of the murder of the civil rights workers in Mississippi, by the local good old boys who were in bed with the klan. I am also aware that the same bigotry that existed then, exists today in some parts of this country--not just the south, but in other parts as well. I am also aware that in some respects--racism has been reversed in this country, but that is not a popular thing to say, and yet it is true. It just isn't the blacks who experience racism and hatred--the whites and the Asians experience it too. Racism and bigotry is not the exclusive domain of the white. Gun owners are in some respects the newest targets of racism and bigotry--it is being drummed into peoples heads that "gun owners are bad." "Guns are evil", and if you "OC" that automatically makes you a target for law enforcement, even when you have not done anything EXCEPT exercise your rights in a way that is not deemed "socially acceptable."

As for the officers being hired in on the word of others--here is a piece of news--it still happens. In some areas--getting a job in law enforcement, or any other city/county job for that matter is absolutely dependent on whether you are the second cousin twice removed from the aunt of the county commissioner.....the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I never said law enforcement was not an essential part of society...I simply think that there is far too little oversight of the police, that they vastly overstep their authority and do so on a relatively regular basis, and that given a chance they will violate your rights and then try to cover it up. Simply read through most of the LEO encounters on the forums here and you will see that the majority of them are not very good encounters, and that more often than not, the OC'er had his/her rights abused by the officers...

As for the stories of the department disbanded, and the officer(s) who shot the fire chief for speaking out against them in court--yes that is shocking...but that is only what you hear...now the question I ask--how much of that very thing--the abuses, the assaults, the crimes against the people go on every day of every week and it never makes the news? I would submit--that what we "hear" is only the tip of the ice berg. How many such cases of abuse are simply covered up and swept under the rug? Or simply have a cursory examination made of a complaint by a reviewing officer whose mind is already made up in favor of the police? Abuse by government is not something a society should tolerate.

I would like to see more-much more civilian oversight of police. They cannot at this time be trusted.

suntzu

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:

Some guy at a gun show sold me a "Genuine" Gestapo warrant disc that turned out to be a Lithuanian counterfiet, and I count myself lucky to only be out $50.

Corruption is endemic to the human condition, and only a bleeding FOOL thinks that a "perfect society" is attainable. We can only try to make things as good as possible given the willingness and devvotion to this aim of the citizenry, which is really not all that much. Bitch all you want, but if yu do not ACT, it is naught but vain babbling.
And how shall we act to bring an out of control system of government back into the fold? What would you propose exactly to make them understand that they work FOR the people, not against them?

As for corruption being pandemic to all levels of society--while yes that is true--there is a difference--a bank teller cannot shoot you inside a bank and then plant a knife on you and claim you tried to attack him, whereas a police officer could very easily shoot someone and plant a weapon to justify the shoot or plant drugs in your car in order to make an arrest and get you tossed into prison, or lie to get a search warrant/arrest warrant, or beat you and claim you tried to resist, or lie on an incident report in order to cover up the fact that they violated your rights, or concoct some trumped up charge of disorderly conduct to justify harassment of an OC'er, or intimidate you into consenting to a search, when they have no legitimate grounds to justify the search...

a bank teller literally does not hold your life in the palm of their hands--but a police officer does. A bank teller cannot ruin you for the rest of your days--the police can. And that is the difference between corruption in society as a whole and in law enforcement more particularly....big difference there.

Alexcabbie

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

Don't you dare lump the cops' crimes against America and Liberty in with a car salesman lowballing you on your trade-in. People are dead, abused, intimidated, raped, molested, tortured at the hands of cops, and you find equivalence with a sleazy alderman?

Shame on you.
I am beginning to understand why PrayingForWar got so nasty with you. You're pretty much a courtly version of AWD. OF COURSE I AM NOT SAYING AN EMBEZZELING BANK TELLER IS THE EQUIVALENT OF AN AUSIVE COP. I was pointing out that human beings are fallible in the extreme. But just like a certain banned troll, you take one part of my post out of context and ........

To listen to the likes of YOU, every single police offficer in these United States is a feral brute. The fact is that the few bad ones out there give the whole profession a black eye, and most cops are disgusted when one of ther own oversteps.

Interesting case here in Alexandria, maybe you've heard. Our police chief sideswiped a lady while he was drunk behind the wheel. Of course he resigned, but he probably could have fought the charge and won given the SCOTUS ruling that
Breathalyzer results must be supported by the testimony of the technician who performed the test AND the certifying official. But Chief Baker stood up and pled guilty and took his five days mandatory jail time like a man.

One more thing, smart guy. Don't YOU dare talk to me like a schoolchild. Judging from that remark of yours on your profile about educating all us dummies or words to that effect, you came onto this forum with the intent of being obnoxious and I for one have had all of you I am going to take. The damned "I am superior" attitude that makes a bad cop what he is is so present in YOU that maybe you need some oversight or whatever.

Idiot.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
To listen to the likes of YOU, every single police offficer in these United States is a feral brute.
That extrapolation only occurs in your mind in a mendacious straw man feint.

The fact is that the few bad ones out there give the whole profession a black eye, and most cops are disgusted when one of ther own oversteps.
Proof, please. Spare me the imagery.

One more thing, smart guy. Don't YOU dare talk to me like a schoolchild. Judging from that remark of yours on your profile about educating all us dummies or words to that effect,
Then don't act like a matriculant, and endeavour to learn the context of texts prior to commenting, specifically "my" profile. There's a nifty search box at the top to help you learn the genesis of that text.

you came onto this forum with the intent of being obnoxious
From the "Making Sh|t Up" file.

and I for one have had all of you I am going to take. The damned "I am superior" attitude that makes a bad cop what he is is so present in YOU that maybe you need some oversight or whatever.
Right on cue. The ad baculum often rears its head when Logic trumps sophistry.

And yet you know otherwise.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How do you have a 'civilian' revue board, when the board is picked
by the same government? When you can have them get on TV
and admit they did it, and nothing is done there is no justice.

That is exactly why congress doesn't work. The ethics committee is
stacked so it can't enforce anything. You want results you need to remove
the inside trading.

1 policeman, 1 da, 1 felon / anarchist, 2 libertarian / constitution/ green/ law.
And you might get better results, as long as the insiders can block
anything nothing changes. Just take latest election results and
give the top 4 parties 1 seat each. Since the felon can't vote and an anarchist
can't have a party you could rotate that seat.

But a crooks insight to the system would open a lot of eyes on any panel.
And having members who don't trust police, and don't trust government
would make the panel more likely to look at claims, and not brush them aside.

CoonDog

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
The police are an absolutely essential element of defense of the community aginst BGs.

This great nation existed for a century before the widespread adoption of the local police forces. Until then, police were hired only in large urban areas.

The first local modern police department established in the United States was the Boston Police Department in 1838, followed by the New York City Police department in 1844. Early on, police were not respected by the community, as corruption was rampant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_the_United_States

I imagine there would still be a demand for detective services, but I could do without the traffic revenue collection, the rights abuses, the war on drugs, etc., that is regularly observed in a patrol force. The truth is, people have done--and can do again--a great job policing their own communities. The adoption of police forces in practically EVERY community is a modern phenomena, and an unnecessary one at that.

CoonDog

imported post

Well that's kind of a personal question there, Carnivore. Do you have a position/opinion to state? I'm not a mind reader, but if you intend to persuade me that there is a demand for emergency police services, I would tend to agree. But I fail to see what that has to do with traffic tickets and/or the war on drugs.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CoonDog wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

This great nation existed for a century before the widespread adoption of the local police forces. Until then, police were hired only in large urban areas.

The first local modern police department established in the United States was the Boston Police Department in 1838, followed by the New York City Police department in 1844. Early on, police were not respected by the community, as corruption was rampant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_the_United_States

I imagine there would still be a demand for detective services, but I could do without the traffic revenue collection, the rights abuses, the war on drugs, etc., that is regularly observed in a patrol force. The truth is, people have done--and can do again--a great job policing their own communities. The adoption of police forces in practically EVERY community is a modern phenomena, and an unnecessary one at that.

I'll start by repeating my appreciation that smokingcrack357 is gone, perhaps now the discussion can be constrained to lucid arguements.

Alexcabbie, you have a point. LEO's do a job full time, that all of us are responsible for, yet have other priorities. Besides, I'm not sure if the idiots who fly down country roads on crotch rockets would obey my demands that they stop endangering other prople's lives, but they damn sure slow the F down when the county sheriff's deputy pulls them over. What are we citizens supposed to do to stop such behavior? Spike strips? (I'm not opposed to the idea, but you can bet you'd have problems after that)

CoonDog, you're right, there was nothing like the police state we have today. There was also little that could be done to stop serial killers, interstate organized crime rings (and now we have international crime rings) and general have a buffer in place to keep the dependency class from rioting everytime a "community organizer" convinces them they should be angry about not having the living standards of the Rockefellers. Riots still happen, but usually because of something the police are involved in, and quelled quickly.

In my neck of the woods, we have a decent Sheriff's Dept. You know enough not to be an a$$ on the county roads (if you're a local) and stay w/ +5 of the limit. They aren't there to generate revenue. In town it'salittle different, but when you don't lok like a meth addict, they usually ignore you rolling SLOWLY through a stop sign and looking around, (but not seeing the cop until it was too late).

While I totally agree that the war on drugs is worse than an abysmal failure as it has been waged, (in fact it may just make things worse) total legalization probably won't be much better in reducing use. The use is what leads to the problems cops are supposed to prevent. Users (not pot heads) tend to engage in criminal and destructive behavior. I've known once decent people who became paraniod lunatics, lost more money than many of us will ever make, and even their lives, to meth use.

Almost everyone I think has known a guy who was successful, and had great potential end up sitting in a garage at 3am listening to Blue Oyster Cult and taking apart a Microwave while wired of of their minds. Blaming everyone and everything except himself and his drug useage for the loss of his wife, kids, house, truck, dog, guns, bass boat, etc. Happens with alarming frequency, and I don't think legalization will "take out the cost and criminal activity associated with it's use".

We need a secure border first and foremost. The "assets" enforcing the drug war should all be shifted to inspection ofcargo, and monitoring all the traffic that crosses it.

Now to return to topic. WACO was enough for me. It wasn't enough aparently for %99.82 of the public. Then I saw 9/11 happen, and the %.18 I was art of lost their minds and bought into the insipid "truth movement" while I called a truce with the empire and signed up to help kill islamic jihadists. I have no regrets, and many of those %.16 were lunatics anyway. I now have a family, and even though it seems like the country is going fullfil Nikita Khrushchev's promise I don't know where MY LINE is. I suppose it's at my door. As Mel Gibson said in The Patriot: "I have a family, I don't have the luxury of principles".

I suppose when I know at the other side of the door awaits a force that will take everything precious away from me, or harm them no matter if I live or die, I'll draw the final line. However the people have been doing a great job resisting Khrushchev's agents lately. Hopefully all I have to do is join the mob and we can advance our own line.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Well, I drive a taxi for a living. And I for one am glad the police are out looking for drunk drivers. Because not only does this knowledge help fill my back seat, it also keeps those who occupy it - and myself - safe.

Perhaps yall need to stand back and realize that the shield worn by the police - on the LEFT over the HEART - is OUR SHIELD. There was an occasion a few years back when I had to throw a bunch of rowdies off some property I was managing. The punks asked me if I had a badge; and I said: "I have 745 badges, and they are all worn by Arlington County Police Officers".

I have written this before. A police officer is the police 24-7-365. It gets to the point where he is shunned at social gatherings to the point where he becomes part of an insular, clannish community in many cases. And the semi-ostracization is only half of the problem. I personally know of a couple guys who were fresh-faced idealistic kids before they spent years witnessing the worst that humanity had to offer. Now I can hardly make out the young men I knew. The ravages of having seen too much evil have taken thier toll. And the vast majority of cops really, truly want to make the world a better place and that was their motive when they joined up.

Cops have power (derived from our consent) but power has a tendency to corrupt. However, corruption is endemic to the human condition and is the root of all evil. The concentration of power into th hands of the Police Department is among other things a way to focus scrutiny upon that power. Not every cop is a criminal; much less all sinners saints. But sinners get cut a lot more slack. Go figure.