• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on a self defense shooting a few years back in Milwaukee

JustMe

imported post

Hello Wisconsin OC supporters. I have a question regarding a self defense shooting (or shootings) that happened in Milwaukee 3-5 years ago that a friend told me about.
A man from Alabama or Mississippi was gassing up his vehicle in the downtown area and was assaulted by two men while he was sitting in his vehicle.
One had come at him through the driver's side door while the second came at him from the passenger side. He managed to extract a handgun (I heard it was a .44 wheelgun) from under a seat and killed the driver's side assailant and then wounded the passenger side assailant while said attacker was beating him with his own walking cane.
The shootings were ruled justifiable and the victim was not charged with carrying a firearm in his vehicle. My friend thought it was due to Governor Doyle and others not wanting to make a PR nightmare of the event because it was in the midst of the CCW bills in the state legislature being debated as well as the state Supreme Court deliberating on one or more cases involving concealed carry.
My question (I finally got to it) is, where is or are there stories regarding this case of self defense? My friend gave me the name of the victim, but the stories I found on the internet had nothing to do with the story. Thanks for your time.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

here are links to the various storys that are still available

http://www.wisn.com/news/4350149/detail.html

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Just+desserts-a0132801322

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/Speeches.aspx?ID=39
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel - Milwaukee, WI, 4/7/05
A 64 year-old traveler from Arkansas stopped to ask for directions at a Milwaukee gasstation and soon found himself confronted by a gang of young men. A fight started, during which one attacker choked the motorists while a second beat the man with his own cane. Acting in self-defense, according to the police report, V.O. Goins then pulled a handgun from under the seat and shot and killed the 20-year-old thug who had abeen choking him. Officers responding to the scene found Goins' car keys on a juvenile accomplice.

JustMe

imported post

bnhcomputing:
Thank you as well for the information. The name 'Goins' sounds like the name I was given by my friend, but the spelling was incorrect.