• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I open carry a rifle? Are there any restrictions?

wnc817

imported post

I just read that you can carry a pistol openly, even in restricted areas, if you have a cpl. But what about rifles? Are there any restrictions on carrying rifles in Michigan? Thanks.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

wnc817 wrote:
I just read that you can carry a pistol openly, even in restricted areas, if you have a cpl. But what about rifles? Are there any restrictions on carrying rifles in Michigan? Thanks.

There are several threads here about OCing a long gun.

Do you want to OC a rifle? Why?

wnc817

imported post

HankT wrote:
wnc817 wrote:

Why not? It would certainly help to educate a lot of people. It may be an opportunity to explain the difference between natural law and positive law. So, which thread should I be looking at?

PDinDetroit

imported post

wnc817 - Welcome to OCDO! Please put your location in your profile, as this helps MI counts (you can put general area though).

The following link has some discussions about this:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=26068&forum_id=30&highlight=Rifle+OC

It appears that you may be able to (with a Hunting Permit), but that not many exercise the right. I would suggest PM'ing (private messaging) Generaldet and Venator about it, along with contacting an attorney who specializes in MI Firearms Laws and Criminal Defense.

MI has some very "interesting" laws in regards to firearms handling, transportation, storage, etc. Caution is urged!

I have considered it myself, as I have rifles and would like to "educate". I guess I do not want to be a "test case"!

wnc817

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
wnc817 - Welcome to OCDO! Please put your location in your profile, as this helps MI counts (you can put general area though).

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=26068&forum_id=30&highlight=Rifle+OC

It appears that you may be able to (with a Hunting Permit), but that not many exercise the right. I would suggest PM'ing (private messaging) Generaldet and Venator about it, along with contacting an attorney who specializes in MI Firearms Laws and Criminal Defense.

MI has some very "interesting" laws in regards to firearms handling, transportation, storage, etc. Caution is urged!

I have considered it myself, as I have rifles and would like to "educate". I guess I do not want to be a "test case"!
Ok. Royal Oak, huh? I guess we are neighbors.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
wnc817 - Welcome to OCDO!  Please put your location in your profile, as this helps MI counts (you can put general area though).

It appears that you may be able to (with a Hunting Permit), but that not many exercise the right.  I would suggest PM'ing (private messaging) Generaldet and Venator about it, along with contacting an attorney who specializes in MI Firearms Laws and Criminal Defense. 

MI has some very "interesting" laws in regards to firearms handling, transportation, storage, etc.  Caution is urged!

I have considered it myself, as I have rifles and would like to "educate".  I guess I do not want to be a "test case"!

Basically, during deer hunting season, you'll need a deer hunting permit to legally carry around a rifle.

Any other time of the year, it looks like you can legally openly carry a rifle in Michigan. If you happen to be in an area that is frequented by wildlife, you had better get a small game hunting license.

LFB

imported post

This is an interesting topic for me. I want to train doing some hiking with my "survival gear" on. I have been hikin at Island Lake Rec area. I would like to add my rifle to the batch. I guess I need a small gale license.

T Vance

imported post

If you have a rifle that has a colapsable stock, and the gun measures under 30 inches (an AK-47 for example), you can register it as a pistol and legally open carry it that way to. :what:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
If you have a rifle that has a colapsable stock, and the gun measures under 30 inches (an AK-47 for example), you can register it as a pistol and legally open carry it that way to. :what:

The Colt LE6920 would qualify as well. With the buttstock fully retracted it measures less than 30" in length, according to the advertisement.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/COLT-LE6920BF.html

G

imported post

My M4 with a 14.5" barrel and pinned extended A2 flash hider, which is shorter than the LE6920 with a 16" barrel and A2 FH, measures in at 30.5".

Michigander

imported post

LFB wrote:
This is an interesting topic for me. I want to train doing some hiking with my "survival gear" on. I have been hikin at Island Lake Rec area. I would like to add my rifle to the batch. I guess I need a small gale license.

As far as I know, in areas controlled by game laws, a gun carried just to be carried can either be carried under the authority of a CPL, or unloaded. Island lake is deep in the shotgun zone, and as such you couldn't possibly carry a center fire rifle there to hunt. There may be other restrictions, but as far as I know you would have to carry a rifle unloaded in both the barrel and magazine, unless it met the asinine Michigan pistol definition and you carried it with a CPL, or if it was a .22lr.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Michigander wrote:
LFB wrote:

As far as I know, in areas controlled by game laws, a gun carried just to be carried can either be carried under the authority of a CPL, or unloaded. Island lake is deep in the shotgun zone, and as such you couldn't possibly carry a center fire rifle there to hunt. There may be other restrictions, but as far as I know you would have to carry a rifle unloaded in both the barrel and magazine, unless it met the asinine Michigan pistol definition and you carried it with a CPL, or if it was a .22lr.
Just buy a small game license. The shotgun rule only applies to deer hunting. You can hunt pigs, coyotes, groundhogs,and other game with a rifle in the southern part of the state. Just not deer norcan you possess a rifle during deer gun season.

wnc817

imported post

Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
LFB wrote:

Just buy a small game license. The shotgun rule only applies to deer hunting. You can hunt pigs, coyotes, groundhogs,and other game with a rifle in the southern part of the state. Just not deer norcan you possess a rifle during deer gun season.
So is it legal to walk into a grocery store with a rifle or a sub-machine gun? And what about walking down the street?

T Vance

imported post

Venator wrote:
This is true. The only time you can't use a rifle in the shotgun zone is when it is deer hunting season. I found this out a few years ago the day before muzzleloading season ended, and called several DNR stations to clarify it. I called my childhoodfriend up that has an AR-15, and we met up the next day to go onto state land and target practice. We were so happy. :celebrate

Venator

imported post

wnc817 wrote:
Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
LFB wrote:

So is it legal to walk into a grocery store with a rifle or a sub-machine gun? And what about walking down the street?

We are not aware of any law that forbids it. You have to make sure it is not a place listed in .234d that bans firearms. This would include any place that sells alcohol....like Meijer's, a party store, a gas station, any place that sells beer, wine, or hard stuff.

Also as private property they can ban firearms as well.

wnc817

imported post

Venator wrote:
wnc817 wrote:
Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
LFB wrote:

We are not aware of any law that forbids it. You have to make sure it is not a place listed in .234d that bans firearms. This would include any place that sells alcohol....like Meijer's, a party store, a gas station, any place that sells beer, wine, or hard stuff.

Ok. I just read .234d. So if I have a liscense to conceal weapons, then I am not restricted, as long as the owner of the private property doesn't object. I assume this applies to rifles, since it doesn't ban them.

Venator

imported post

wnc817 wrote:
Venator wrote:
wnc817 wrote:
Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
LFB wrote:

Ok. I just read .234d. So if I have a liscense to conceal weapons, then I am not restricted, as long as the owner of the private property doesn't object. I assume this applies to rifles, since it doesn't ban them.

If you have a CPL you can carry OC in all the places you can't CC. You can also have a firearm in those places listed in .234d. But asalways a private property owner can ban firearms or ask you to leave.

As for long guns if you have a CPL you are also covered and can carry in those places in .234d. But remember your CPL only covers handguns when it comes to transportation and loaded. With a CPL-- handgun loaded in vehicle OK, long guns loaded in vehicle No.

wnc817

imported post

Venator wrote:
wnc817 wrote:
Venator wrote:
wnc817 wrote:
Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
LFB wrote:

If you have a CPL you can carry OC in all the places you can't CC. You can also have a firearm in those places listed in .234d. But asalways a private property owner can ban firearms or ask you to leave.

As for long guns if you have a CPL you are also covered and can carry in those places in .234d. But remember your CPL only covers handguns when it comes to transportation and loaded. With a CPL-- handgun loaded in vehicle OK, long guns loaded in vehicle No.
Ok, thanks.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

wnc817 wrote:
HankT wrote:
wnc817 wrote:

Why not? It would certainly help to educate a lot of people. It may be an opportunity to explain the difference between natural law and positive law...

So, I guess the answer is yes.

Know yet what kind of rifle? When are you going to do it?

office888

imported post

HankT wrote:
wnc817 wrote:
HankT wrote:
wnc817 wrote:

Why not? It would certainly help to educate a lot of people. It may be an opportunity to explain the difference between natural law and positive law...

So, I guess the answer is yes.

Know yet what kind of rifle? When are you going to do it?
My advice is an M4 or a A2/A3 with minimal accessories. I think the population as a whole lot more comfortable with that, over say, an AK with wood furniture that automatically has a negative feeling already attached to it.

Honestly, I think the best would be a bone-stock carry-handle A2 or M4, or a bolt action "hunting" rifle. We need to ease into this slowly if we expect to get a positive response from the public, and a favorable official AG opinion.

-Richard-