• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC

wolfetundra

imported post

I just had a simple question concerning OC in California. I have yet to find an accurate answer by searching online. What exactly is required, by California Law in order to OC in public.

So far I have not had any issues, contacted local law enforcement, and everything is fine. I just want to make sure there are no loop holes that I have not covered.

I have my HSC and I carry it with me at all times.

If anyone has any input I would greatly appriciate it.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

wolfetundra wrote:
What exactly is required, by California Law in order to OC in public.

I have my HSC and I carry it with me at all times.

What exactly is required? What is required is covered in a number of threads in the forum. Not all ofwhat is required is about legality.Start with the Noobie thread and be sure toknow the relevant penal code.

Your HSC onlyrelates your eligibility to purchase a handgun. It has no weight to make you eligible to carry a firearm. I'd leave it at home unless you were going to go purchase another handgun.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Why don't you give us a few more details about what you're doing. There are a whole lot of laws relevant when open carrying, to rattle them all off here would take a while.

I'm not sure why you think you have to carry your HSC, that misconception alone makes me wonder if you know the open carry laws as well as you should. I haven't ever carried with identification on my person, and I never intend to volunteer any information to a police officer which could identify me.

Here's a quick rundown of the easiest laws to violate. Carry in a holster which you keep 100% exposed at all times (tuck in your shirt), don't have ammo in the gun (chamber or magazine) unless you're in unincorporated territory where discharge of a weapon is legal, stay 1000' away from K-12 school grounds, and don't enter government buildings.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Most of what you need to know can be found on our open carry fliers, which are hosted at www.californiaopencarry.org.

There's also lots of police memos there. I suggest reading those too, but keep in mind their info is riddled with FUD. When in doubt, refer to the open carry flier or tri-fold pamphlet.

And if you're still not certain, then use the forum search function. I guarantee we've covered 99.99% of CA OC subjects at least once.

And if you're still stumped, feel free to make a new thread on a specific topic. One of us will likely know the answer, or know where to direct you.

And finally, it may be prudent to consult an attorney. None of us are offering legal advice, and open carry is risky business in CA.

Know your rights and responsibilities before you open carry.

wolfetundra

imported post

Thank you for both of you who have replied.

I'm not looking to OC just because I can or because I look cool. I'm in Redding, which, for the most part, is a quiet town. However, recently, I have felt the need to purchase a gun (with training on how to use it - prior service) for home protection. In addition, I have recently found just cause to carry it with me for personal protection.

I'm new to OC, other than my own property. Which, come to find out, isn't considered mine outside the walls of the structure.

I always tuck in my shirt and wear my firearm in a holster with a safety device to prevent someone from quickly drawing it. I also keep the clips (though not legally required) on my opposite side. This also makes it easier to load in the event I am forced to draw my firearm - knock on wood.

So far, I haven't had any issues or run ins with LE. I have had 3 people, individually, approach me about the subject. I simply inform the person; "as long as it's visible, and not loaded, it's not a crime." It seems most of them knew that already, and just wanted to hear it.

I make every effort to know the schools and goverment building locations and steer clear. I approach every situation differently asking; "should I OC here?"

coolusername2007

imported post

wolfetundra wrote:
Thank you for both of you who have replied.

I'm not looking to OC just because I can or because I look cool. I'm in Redding, which, for the most part, is a quiet town. However, recently, I have felt the need to purchase a gun (with training on how to use it - prior service) for home protection. In addition, I have recently found just cause to carry it with me for personal protection.

I'm new to OC, other than my own property. Which, come to find out, isn't considered mine outside the walls of the structure.

I always tuck in my shirt and wear my firearm in a holster with a safety device to prevent someone from quickly drawing it. I also keep the clips (though not legally required) on my opposite side. This also makes it easier to load in the event I am forced to draw my firearm - knock on wood.

So far, I haven't had any issues or run ins with LE. I have had 3 people, individually, approach me about the subject. I simply inform the person; "as long as it's visible, and not loaded, it's not a crime." It seems most of them knew that already, and just wanted to hear it.

I make every effort to know the schools and goverment building locations and steer clear. I approach every situation differently asking; "should I OC here?"

Welcome to the forum Wolfetundra. I encourage you to OC everywhere you feel its necessary and legal. It is both yourright and responsiblity to protect yourself. Having said that, if you have not already, pleasevisit the www.californiaopencarry.org website that wasposted above and again here. While there be sure to print out and study the handouts, flyers and pamphlets. I would also recommend having a digital voice recorder with clip on microphone. This for your safety on many levels, most of which won't require drawing your weapon. Be safe, legal, and be agood ambassador for the cause.