• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Burke Lake Park

richarcm

imported post

Can you OC at Burke Lake Park? The website says:

• Do my taxes support Burke Lake Park?Burke Lake Park is supported by both County tax revenue as well as fee based revenue.
  • Does FCPA own the lake?No. The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries owns the lake, 50 ft. wide perimeter of the shoreline, and the Fish and Game Parking lot. As part of an agreement, the FCPA and Burke Lake Park are designated stewards of the lake.
I ask because I received an email on Facebook letting me know that the Fairfax Virginia Federation of Republican Women are having a grassroots rally with Bob McDonnell at this park on 8/30 from 1pm - 4pm. Red, Hot and Blue will be there.

I figured.....lake, Bob, women, BBQ, OC....what more could you want??? :lol:

What's the ruling???

richarcm

imported post

Looks like there may have been an open carry event held there before....but I would like to know for sure...

rebfan

imported post

Open carry is allowed, and there was an open carry picnic there a couple of years ago. The one rule that seems to be enforced without fail is the parking lot by the Game and Fish boat ramp is reserved for those that are fishing in the lake. There are plenty of signs posted that say other uses of the parking lots are not allowed and if caught you will be ticketed, and the State has won in court.

Go to the event if you like, just don't park in that area.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/waterbodies/display.asp?id=26&section=news

nova

imported post

The park itself is FCPA, preemption applies.

The lake itself is owned by DGIF but is jointly maintained by FCPA and DGIF.

Open Carry is 100% good to go. We've had a few OC picnics there already.

Since it's so local to me, I have no reason not to go.

ufcfanvt

imported post

There are lots of places to park. Follow signs to the "Fitness Course" I believe it is and there will be a very large, open parking lot right next to the amphitheater and very close to the lake.