• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for advice on black powder

SANDRAT

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
SANDRAT wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
Speaking of BP, what is the law on carrying one? Is a BP pistol legally considered a pistol? If not, does that mean I can't carry it capped inside a vehicle?

Also, if BP pistols are OK, what's the definition of a BP pistol? Can I carry a smoothbore muzzleloader loaded and capped in a vehicle if it's a certain size, or would that be considered a shotgun?
In WA state,a BP weapon is considered a firearm meaning that if you are a Felon,etc and not allowed to own a firearm,it extends to BP also.I know that a charged and capped long gun is considered loaded and illegal to carry in a vehicle,no cap = legal,besides,it only takes a second to cap it.I would think that the handgun rules apply to a BP pistol the same as modern,but don't know for sure.

I just got into BP about 4 years ago,it is a great sport,I didn't know what I was missing for a lot of years.
Hmmm..

Because I was thinking a smoothbore muzzleloading pistol with a huge bore and loaded with shot would be fun to have, but would that be a shotgun or a handgun?
Good question,my TC Encore has a 12" BBL that takes 3" .410 shells,but is marked 45 Colt,it is also rifled with a choke that schreds the wad and sends the shot straight,if it were smoothbore,it would be a sawed off shotgun(still is in CA),I guess if a manufacturer were selling the as a smoothbore BP pistol,they would be legal.I would start by checking with Dixie Gun Works as they have an incredible selection,they could probably answer that.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

It's an interesting question. Really I just want a 12 gauge pistol without going through the NFA. Haha