• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for advice on black powder

fire suppressor

imported post

Sorry this is a little off topic of the forum but I wasn't sure who ells to ask. I am interested in getting into black powder cap and ball side arms. I have been shooting my entire life but have never shot black powder nor do I know anyone that dose. Is there a website, book or reference anyone could recommend to the new kid on the black powder black?

fetch

imported post

Ah, the joys of black powder shooting. The muzzle loading community is not immune to government intrusion. Cap and flintlock guns have tripled in price. Powder its self has gone up 4x in price. Powder storage is regulated by the International Fire Code. There are a couple of cities in Washington that require you to sign for powder. That goes to the local fire marshal and your home may be inspected for proper storage. But, then you might already know this if you work for the fire dept.
But check out,

http://www.dixiegunworks.com

Here is a nice little pistol that makes a good sidearm,

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=14020

Also be sure to check out local ml clubs in your area.

http://www.nmlra.org/

Also,

http://www.wamuzzleloaders.org/

jeeper1

imported post

When/if you get a muzzle loader you can buy black powder from
http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm
You just have to buy it in 5 pound increments. They are where I buy my BP from. I have 5 muzzle loaders (2 rifles and 3 handguns) not counting my cannons, mortars or flare launchers all of which use BP.

Hammer

imported post

I have an old paperback, "The Lyman Black Powder Handbook"
It has a lot of good info, and is probably enough to get you started.
Want to read some stories of BP used in self-defense?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=60709
I am not advocating you carry a BP sidearm as your primary choice of defense, but if it happened to be what was at hand, it would get the job done, until your cylinder dried up.... A lot of folks died of round ball wounds. Have a look at the records of the war between the states.
As I've said here before, they are interesting period arms.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I wouldn't feel undergunned with a .44 cap and ball revolver, although it would not be my first choice.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Firesuppressor,

The next time you are in Wholesale Sports (old Sportsmans) in Silverdale, look me up at the gun counter. I have hunted and shot competetively with BP for over 40 years. At present I buy BP from powder inc in 50# lots and that will last me 6 months. Yes, I have access to a licensed magazine for storage. Also, the state has relaxed the storage requirements for households frm 5# to 25#, although local restrictions may still be in place.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Firesuppressor,

The next time you are in Wholesale Sports (old Sportsmans) in Silverdale, look me up at the gun counter. I have hunted and shot competetively with BP for over 40 years. At present I buy BP from powder inc in 50# lots and that will last me 6 months. Yes, I have access to a licensed magazine for storage. Also, the state has relaxed the storage requirements for households frm 5# to 25#, although local restrictions may still be in place.

Is that a good place to work? I just applied for a job there.

And Firesuppressor and I were just in there looking at BP firearms. The dude behind the counter suggested we talk to their resident BP expert. Couldn't remember the name, but he might have been talking about you.
:celebrate

Trigger Dr

imported post

Yeah that would be me. I have been there 4 years not a bad place to work. Better now that the New ownership.

Batousaii

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
I wouldn't feel undergunned with a .44 cap and ball revolver, although it would not be my first choice.

Colt (replica?) Walker or Dragoon is a BEAST! - rather be hit with a 9mm ... talk about "ouch".... But yes, BP revolvers can be fickle, caps unseat from recoil, powder gets crusty andthe cylinder resists revolving after about the 3rd reload. So for modern defense, not the best, but can be done. Open carry of a BP? I'd go with an old full flap high on the hip cavalry style. Beautiful rustic piece it is...hard core pirate type you are matey? Flint lock tower pistol ?!? Go 60 cal and hang on tight. Not sure if i'd take someone serious if they pulled it out though, until it went off.....my bad...

In all reality, BP is VERY Fun ! - unfortunately my 1860 army revolver and 44 cal tower pistol (flintlock) were stolen by a former family member. But they were fun. And yes, i carried the 1860 replica in drop loop (hiking on big private property), usually accompanied by a modern rifle. Fun combo it is. I always made sure to fire off the rounds and clean the pistol before the end of the day. Not sure i'd be comfortable with long term cap-n-ball storage.... just me.

Trigger Dr, Whats your take on long term storage of a loaded BP Revolver (or other pistol) - I ask in a more historical manner, as in modern times it probably would rarely be done... I understand your the resident expert :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Batousaii wrote:
SNIP Not sure i'd be comfortable with long term cap-n-ball storage.... just me.
Now, you got me to thinking.

I wonder if it would work to borrow a little old-time cannon technology? Pre-measured charges in little cotton or silk bags. Like those little bags they use for Skoal Pouches or something.

Afterthe front is loaded, then "prick" the bags just like a Civil War cannoneer, but through the hole in the nipple.Put onthe caps, and off you go.

De-capping might take some nerve and careful attention at the end of the day.

Trigger Dr

imported post

The biggest problem with long term storage of cap n ball is the possibility of moisture getting to the powder through the nipple. I have had some stored for up to a year with the cap removed and stored in a safe. They worked just fine when capped and shot.

1245A Defender

imported post

my 50 cal rifle had hung on the wall for 3 yrs, uncapped since my last hunt, my friend ask if it was still loaded? i couldnt remember for sure, so i capped it and pulled the trigger. i was right on target, shot my styrofoam bouy at 100 yrds!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
my 50 cal rifle had hung on the wall for 3 yrs, uncapped since my last hunt, my friend ask if it was still loaded? i couldnt remember for sure, so i capped it and pulled the trigger. i was right on target, shot my styrofoam bouy at 100 yrds!
I think you just wanted to shoot the rifle. :)

The loaded-status check for a BP weapon is to insert the ramrod and see if it goes to the "unloaded" mark.

1245A Defender

imported post

of course you are right. i like shooting guns, any excuse is good enough. for sure i could have just measured with the ramrod, but whats the fun in that? besides, if i found it loaded, i would have wanted it unloaded anyway! also, pulling the trigger, when you dont know if it will go boom, is an excellent way to check for your flinch reaction!

fire suppressor

imported post

Thanks Trigger Dr I will say hi next time I see you in there. You see so many people in the store I wouldn't expect you to remember me. We have talked in passing before and we chatted for a while at my first open carry picnic about a year and a half ago now at the lake/park in port orchard

Seattle1911

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
The biggest problem with long term storage of cap n ball is the possibility of moisture getting to the powder through the nipple. I have had some stored for up to a year with the cap removed and stored in a safe. They worked just fine when capped and shot.

I had always heard the way it was done a century+ ago was to seal the caps onto the cylinder with wax. (This would be not for storage but just for keeping your pistol loaded on a daily basis).

My only advice for someone new, if you want a pistol, go with an old-army style. The metal bar above the cylinder makes the pistol more forgiving of overloading :) compared to a Colt style (particular a colt of a brass-frame, which I'd recommend avoiding). Oh and DONT under any circumstances dry fire, unless you are in the mood to replace the nipples. And if you do carry it, either load 5 of 6, or in the old-army style observe the half-way notch (which is a beautiful thing). And cleanliness is absolutely required for BP. If you don't thoroughly clean it, it will corrode. I've heard of guys who put the whole thing in the dishwasher after an initial cleaning. I've never tried that though.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Speaking of BP, what is the law on carrying one? Is a BP pistol legally considered a pistol? If not, does that mean I can't carry it capped inside a vehicle?

Also, if BP pistols are OK, what's the definition of a BP pistol? Can I carry a smoothbore muzzleloader loaded and capped in a vehicle if it's a certain size, or would that be considered a shotgun?

SANDRAT

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Speaking of BP, what is the law on carrying one? Is a BP pistol legally considered a pistol? If not, does that mean I can't carry it capped inside a vehicle?

Also, if BP pistols are OK, what's the definition of a BP pistol? Can I carry a smoothbore muzzleloader loaded and capped in a vehicle if it's a certain size, or would that be considered a shotgun?
In WA state,a BP weapon is considered a firearm meaning that if you are a Felon,etc and not allowed to own a firearm,it extends to BP also.I know that a charged and capped long gun is considered loaded and illegal to carry in a vehicle,no cap = legal,besides,it only takes a second to cap it.I would think that the handgun rules apply to a BP pistol the same as modern,but don't know for sure.

I just got into BP about 4 years ago,it is a great sport,I didn't know what I was missing for a lot of years.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

SANDRAT wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:

In WA state,a BP weapon is considered a firearm meaning that if you are a Felon,etc and not allowed to own a firearm,it extends to BP also.I know that a charged and capped long gun is considered loaded and illegal to carry in a vehicle,no cap = legal,besides,it only takes a second to cap it.I would think that the handgun rules apply to a BP pistol the same as modern,but don't know for sure.

I just got into BP about 4 years ago,it is a great sport,I didn't know what I was missing for a lot of years.
Hmmm..

Because I was thinking a smoothbore muzzleloading pistol with a huge bore and loaded with shot would be fun to have, but would that be a shotgun or a handgun?