• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2009 CCW Permit Holders Forum, September 15

varminter22

imported post

The Nevada Sheriffs & Chiefs Ass'n will host a NV CCW permit holders forum date on September 15, 2009. Time 1:00 p.m.

Location: Carson City, in the Nevada Assembly bldg; exact room unknown right now. But it won't be hard to find - walk in the Assembly front door and check the monitor or ask at the desk. And the Legislative Offices in Las Vegas, via video teleconference.

All CCW permit holders and interested parties are encouraged to attend and make your voice heard on the issues.

If you're unable to attend, you can view/listen to the proceeding via the internet. I don't yet know the exact web address but you can find it here: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/ then click on "Live Meetings - Listen or View"

This will be the third forum of this kind and it is very beneficial.

If you are unable to attend and have comments/questions you would like addressed, contact:

Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association:

Frank Adams, Executive Director
P.O. Box 3247
Mesquite NV 89024
(866) 266-9870
FAX (702) 345-3565

NSCA website: http://www.nvsca.com/index.htm

FAQs:

What is the purpose of this forum?
To nurture dialogue between the Nevada Sheriffs & Chiefs Ass'n and all Nevada CCW Permittees; to provide a forum for Nevada CCW Permittees to voice their opinions and concerns and ask questions about Nevada CCW law - and to recommend changes to the law.

How long is it scheduled to last?
It is scheduled from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

How many attended last year?
There must have been 300 people there last year! The large room was packed!(And several in Las Vegas via internet videoconference.) And we hope for more this year!

Eats?
You're on your own. Eat before or after the forum.

This forum came about in 2007 because of the efforts of pro gun/CCW Nevada Senator John Lee (D-Clark County.) There were firearms/CCW issues in the 2007 Legislative Session and Senator Lee (correctly) believed there should be dialogue between the NSCA and the people.

The NSCA is a Nevada non profit corporation. It is in the best interest of Nevada's citizenry to attend this forum and discuss appropriate and necessary changes.

Everyone (well, as many as time permits) will be allowed to speak.

The forum will be broadcast on the internet for all to view/listen. However, if you have any comments/questions/etc, I would advise you to send with a person attending OR send via mail/fax to Mr Frank Adams, Exec Dir of the NSCA. I believe the forum will be available at http://www.leg.state.nv.us then click on "Live Meetings - Listen or View".

Lets make sure Nevadans are WELL represented!

bookem03

imported post

Yhanks for the info.Sept,15 it is.Hope to see all the area OC folks there.

njeske

imported post

The assembly building is a posted public building, so you can't carry there per NRS. This would be a great time to ask why FL and UT were taken off the reciprocity list and to once again push for NICS exemption.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Are weapons allowed? I think the assembly building is off limits, but is that only when the legislature is in session?
We will be in the grant sawyer bldg. where they teleconference I cannot remember the postings however they did have metal detectors but they were not in use. We were routed around them, that was for a commitie meeting

varminter22

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Are weapons allowed? I think the assembly building is off limits, but is that only when the legislature is in session?

Actually, there isa sign at the building entrance(s) that indicate firearms are not allowed unless you get permission.

If interested, inquire at the front desk.

HuckleBilly

imported post

njeske wrote:
The assembly building is a posted public building, so you can't carry there per NRS. This would be a great time to ask why FL and UT were taken off the reciprocity list and to once again push for NICS exemption.

The NICS exemption is the biggest issue on my mind. It's not so much having tp pay extra (which I don't like to do) but the hassle and time it takes to go through it every single time I buy a gun.

We need to make a big noise about this, somehow.

varminter22

imported post

HuckleBilly wrote:
The NICS exemption is the biggest issue on my mind. It's not so much having tp pay extra (which I don't like to do) but the hassle and time it takes to go through it every single time I buy a gun.

We need to make a big noise about this, somehow.

Agreed.

The NSCA indicated they would attempt to get a dialogue going with the BATFE.

And I have asked Sen Ensign to help.

No word yet.

But hope to get an update soon.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A few months ago I had come up with a list I thought would also be useful changes to the law.

1.) Complete preemption of firearms laws, except discharge (2007 SB92 as introduced)
2.) Elimination of gun free zones (NRS 202.265)
3.) Elimination of concealed gun free zones (NRS 202.3673)
4.) Elimination of qualification requirement for each concealed firearm (NRS 202.3657)
5.) AK/VT style CCW permit
6.) Complete preemption of all weapons laws
7.) Complete preemption of firearms laws, including discharge (NRS 202.280, NRS 202.285, and NRS 202.287 already cover discharge)

The NICS check probably has a lot more chance at passage than some of these.

Another that comes to mind is to ask for recognition of any out of state permit, including for residents.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

timf343 wrote:
A few months ago I had come up with a list I thought would also be useful changes to the law.

1.) Complete preemption of firearms laws, except discharge (2007 SB92 as introduced)
2.) Elimination of gun free zones (NRS 202.265)
3.) Elimination of concealed gun free zones (NRS 202.3673)
4.) Elimination of qualification requirement for each concealed firearm (NRS 202.3657)
5.) AK/VT style CCW permit
6.) Complete preemption of all weapons laws
7.) Complete preemption of firearms laws, including discharge (NRS 202.280, NRS 202.285, and NRS 202.287 already cover discharge)

The NICS check probably has a lot more chance at passage than some of these.

Another that comes to mind is to ask for recognition of any out of state permit, including for residents.
I second. You get 50% of what you ask for and 0% of what you don't

HuckleBilly

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
The NSCA indicated they would attempt to get a dialogue going with the BATFE.

And I have asked Sen Ensign to help.

No word yet.

But hope to get an update soon.
What did you communicate to John Ensign? I will write him as well if it will do any good. I write him all the time about federal issues but not on state issues.

Talking about state issues, we need to do something to get Bernie Anderson out of the Nevada Assembly.

varminter22

imported post

HuckleBilly wrote:
What did you communicate to John Ensign? I will write him as well if it will do any good. I write him all the time about federal issues but not on state issues.

Talking about state issues, we need to do something to get Bernie Anderson out of the Nevada Assembly.
I wrote (and spoke) asking for his assistance in getting a meaningful dialogue going between the BATFE and NSCA concerning measures to reinstate our NICS exemption.

For all practical purposes, Bernie Anderson IS gone from the Nevada Assembly due to term limits. He has served his last session (2009) in the Nevada Assembly.

HuckleBilly

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
I wrote (and spoke) asking for his assistance in getting a meaningful dialogue going between the BATFE and NSCA concerning measures to reinstate our NICS exemption.

For all practical purposes, Bernie Anderson IS gone from the Nevada Assembly due to term limits. He has served his last session (2009) in the Nevada Assembly.

Term limits have never seemed to matter to the Nevada Legislature. In spite of the voters passing term limits many senators and assemblymen have taken office in the past with complete disregard for the Nevada constitution and the will of the voters.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2001/Aug-05-Sun-2001/opinion/16693383.html

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20080413/ELECTIONS/394952425

varminter22

imported post

Yes, but ...

The Las Vegas article (your link) is from 2001.

The Carson City article (2008) points out a possibility. But as it stands right now, the term limit law is in effect.

What will happen? Who knows?! Unless the law is repealed or overturned by the Supreme Court, Bernie will be gone from the Assembly.

Thats my understanding anyway! We'll see, I guess!

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

More reciprocity. As a TX CHL holder, I've love to be able to CC in NV.

Open carry seems to get you a great amount of attention. A local and an attorney should be able to make Metro respect the law but a visitor only has so much time and burning it in jail or hassling with the police for doing something that is legal isn't a very productive.

wrightme

imported post

SA-TX wrote:

Open carry seems to get you a great amount of attention. A local and an attorney should be able to make Metro respect the law but a visitor only has so much time and burning it in jail or hassling with the police for doing something that is legal isn't a very productive.
Reciprocity would be nice. We currently have none.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

wrightme wrote:
SA-TX wrote:

Not true. Nevada recognizes 10 states, but not Texas. I find that surprising. I wonder if our minimum age requirement (usually 21, but over 18 for current military or ex-military) makes our law "not substantially similar".

http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml

varminter22

imported post

wrightme wrote:
SA-TX wrote:

True enough!

Reciprocity infers "you honor ours and we'll honor yours."

Nevada does NOT have reciprocity.

What we DO have is a system of honoring other state permits IF they meet Nevada's (and the NSCA's) criteria.

Captain Philip K. O’Neill (Nevada Department of Public Safety, Chief of the Records and Technology Division and the Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) Officer for Nevada) made this quite clear at the last NSCA hosted NV CCW Permits Holders Forum. And he was correct - in accordance with NRS Ch 202.

HuckleBilly

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
Yes, but ...

The Las Vegas article (your link) is from 2001.

The Carson City article (2008) points out a possibility. But as it stands right now, the term limit law is in effect.

What will happen? Who knows?! Unless the law is repealed or overturned by the Supreme Court, Bernie will be gone from the Assembly.

Thats my understanding anyway! We'll see, I guess!

I posted the link from 2001 to show how far back they have been disregarding the term limits law.

Yes, we will see. I hope Bernie doesn't get elected to the senate. The funny thing about him is that he was born and raised in the state of Nevada. You would think he would take a Nevadan approach to the Second Amendment. Even Harry Reid is more supportive of gun owner's rights than Bernie Anderson.