• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: places to shoot up north?

Metalhead47

imported post

Picked up a Mosin-Nagant @ one of those Big5 specials after the picnic last week & I'm dying to try it out. Anyone know any good shooting areas out in the woods up north, say around Burlington/Mt vernon or off hwy 20? All the ranges I know are closed Sundays 'cept Sam's, and i think they dont allow that caliber on the range without a membership. My wife hates the concussions from indoor ranges anyway.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

There are lots of open areas, pretty much any public land, (not federal) not in a city. I Talked to Whatcom county Sheriff and he told me even if I am inadvertantly in a no shoot place and doing it safely (backdrop, required distance from lakes and houses) they would only come out if someone called and then tell me move further away, and wouldn't arrest or place charges.

I live just a few miles from Skagit border and now just hike up behind my house in Sudden Valley no complaints yet.

Hammer

imported post

Sure
Alger mountain- go up from the end of the Skaarup road.
Further north is the Van Zandt dike district. There must be a couple dozen shootin' spots along the road.
As SVG said,anyplace you are out of the city mimits and safe downrange, go for it. Places are usually easily picked out by the piles of shotgun hulls all over the ground.
More that come to mind:
Up Finney Creek anywhere safe
There's a huge pit off the Medford road- you gotta walk a short way in these days.

Metalhead47

imported post

Oldkim: Thanx for the tip on the range, I'll definately have to keep that place in mind. Do they have any goofy rules like no rapid fire or only one in the chamber at a time?

Badger: I think you have to be a member to shoot at Central Whidbey, with my schedule I just can't get there for the obligatory meetings. Love Green's tho, too bad they're only open thursday-sat.

SVG & Hammer: That's more of what I'm thinking of, someplace to safely practice the kinds of things ranges don't allow (for some reason most ranges frown on hunting big game fruit on their land :banghead:). Can y'all help me out with some more details? I'm not too familiar with that area. All the old shooting areas I know (before I started shooting) are out Sultan way & since closed by the greenies.

Metalhead47

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
only one in the chamber at a time?
How do you get more than one in the chamber at a time?
:cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::what::what:

If you are on Whidbey Island and want to shoot at Central Whidbey, I am a member and could have you as a guest.

Green's is $10 per person per day, ouch.
Hey that'd be great if you're up for it, it'd make the day much easier since my wife still has to work Monday morning, we've been wanting to check that place out for a while too, just didn't know if non-members were even allowed in the door, as it were.

You think $10 a day is steep? I kinda thought it was on the cheap end for public ranges. Same deal at Sam's in Everett, I've seen $15+ elsewhere (keeps us away from the range alot more than we'd like).

sudden valley gunner

imported post

A lot of Whatcom county is public land or DNR land, almost anywhere there is one of those yellow gates blocking a trail or road up is a good place, I don't go to Galbraith though although parts of it is still safe, there are just too much traffic especially Mt. Bikers. If you take exit 240 and head east there are several spots right of that road. Last year we shot up a bunch of pumpkins, that was fun.

Plantation range is only $8 dollars for the public, and it has a high power range and an indoor and out door small bore range. I don't know if they allow wild fruit life hunting though.

Metalhead47

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Metalhead,

What day are we talking about doing it? Sunday is open. I work Monday. Tomorrow morning at 9:00am we are going there to shoot before school clothes shopping.

Sunday is what we were thinking too. Bringing the whole family to the range are ya?

Metalhead47

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
A lot of Whatcom county is public land or DNR land, almost anywhere there is one of those yellow gates blocking a trail or road up is a good place, I don't go to Galbraith though although parts of it is still safe, there are just too much traffic especially Mt. Bikers. If you take exit 240 and head east there are several spots right of that road. Last year we shot up a bunch of pumpkins, that was fun.

Plantation range is only $8 dollars for the public, and it has a high power range and an indoor and out door small bore range. I don't know if they allow wild fruit life hunting though.

ah yes. nothing like gates to keep the public off public lands unless THEY deem your activities worthy.:banghead: i saw alot of dirt trails in the area checking out the satellite map. are they all closed to motoized use like that?

Trigger Dr

imported post

There is an "Unofficial" coding of gates. Yellow Private property. Orange with white stripe Private timber land (pope) open to foot traffic. blue State property

Metalhead47

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Metalhead,

What day are we talking about doing it? Sunday is open. I work Monday. Tomorrow morning at 9:00am we are going there to shoot before school clothes shopping.

Sunday is what we were thinking too. Bringing the whole family to the range are ya?
What time Sunday?
Well I'l throw 10 am out there but we're pretty much open all day for whatever works best for you.