• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo prices

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've been away for awhile, but I frequently check ammo prices online.

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.phpHas proven to be a good resource for me, but I've been concerned about pistol ammo lately. Most of the listings for .45ACP are for Wal-Mart. I can't buy it online from them, and it seems like most of the online distributors are either out, or their prices are way too high.

Can some of you folks tell me what prices and availability are in your area? Any info would be appreciated.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I started this exact same topic about a month ago... It didn't go very far...
Availability and price has been varying WIDELY around here...
in .45acp
Academy has had some FMJ (ball) ammo for around $45/box and even that has been sold out...
Gander Mtn got in a pretty decent shipment recently and re-stocked there long barren shelves, I bought some and now they are probably empty again...
Champions has been hit or miss (mostly miss on anything affordable)
Wal-Mart has been completely miss on .45

I had a friend tell me he could get whatever I wanted so I gave him a shopping list and max prices... He came back and told me he couldn't get over half of what was on my list, and a lot of the other was way over my price (which I allowed a fairly decent markup, more than I was really willing to spend!)
Turns out he thought he had an inside track of some sort, when really he was looking the same places and contacts that I had already gone to!
Good luck, and when you find what you want and can afford, buy as much of it as they will let you!

Hillmann

imported post

Around here(northern Wisconsin).357 mag and .38 special can't be found for any price and when I search on line the only thing that is in stock are speciality loads that are two or three bucks a round.I have no idea about other calabers.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
Around here(northern Wisconsin).357 mag and .38 special can't be found for any price and when I search on line the only thing that is in stock are speciality loads that are two or three bucks a round.I have no idea about other calabers.
Walmart gets that it periodically. I went there to pick up some .357 sig (which they seem to always have two boxes of for some reason) and they had just gotten in a huge shipment of .38 special.

Ironbar

imported post

Here in Tigard, OR, it seems that things have picked up (or slowed down depending on your perspective), ie: ammo seems to be plentiful once more.

I have been finding plenty of ammo at the local Bi-Mart store where it is typically cheapest. When I went into gun broker a couple days ago, they had more ammo in stock than I had seen in a long time. They had boxes of virtually anything you could want. I picked up a Mega-Pack of the UMC Remington .40 for $109.00

Hillmann

imported post

In June I bought .22 and I paid about $21.00 for a brick but I had to go to four stores to find it, the first three stores didn't have any except speciality rounds like CB's, shorts and bird shot.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have 950 rounds of .380 ACP I loaded a while back. Who needs some?

Got a big ole pile of .38 special and .357 magnum, too. I don't own any gun that uses them... hahaha.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ixtow wrote:
I have 950 rounds of .380 ACP I loaded a while back. Who needs some?

Got a big ole pile of .38 special and .357 magnum, too. I don't own any gun that uses them... hahaha.
I've heard that in some places finding .380 is dentistry on a chicken. I don't use any of those myself, but I burn up some .45 when I'm home. I just hope I can find it for less than .35 cents a round in January. I can't wait to get back into IDPA.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I offered for that very reason. I don't even have anything that shoots it ATM, and have so much of it sitting here...

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
In June I bought .22 and I paid about $21.00 for a brick but I had to go to four stores to find it, the first three stores didn't have any except speciality rounds like CB's, shorts and bird shot.

:shock: Was it gold jacketed?

I'll have an assload of MiniMag I'll sell you for $15/100.

Hillmann

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Hillmann wrote:

When I bout it I wanted a brick but had to buy individual boxes, the price tags are still on them ,$2.11, each. Before that the most I ever paid was $17.00 a brick and thought I was getting screwed.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Hillmann wrote:

When I bout it I wanted a brick but had to buy individual boxes, the price tags are still on them ,$2.11, each. Before that the most I ever paid was $17.00 a brick and thought I was getting screwed.

For what kind of ammo is this? I get MiniMag for $5.50 brick at Walmart. Regular bulk stuff is like $11-13/500.

Hillmann

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Hillmann wrote:

For what kind of ammo is this? I get MiniMag for $5.50 brick at Walmart. Regular bulk stuff is like $11-13/500.

I think it is remmingtongolden HP. I will have to look when I get home. What Is MiniMag?

I think the cheapest I have ever paid for a brick is seven or eight dollers but usually closser to ten or eleven although that is for Remmington CCI may be cheaper but I don't price it because my gun dosen't like it anymore.

Hillmann

imported post

I was just looking on line and saw that the sites that sell Minimag call a 100 round box a brick. When I said a brick I mean five hundred rounds.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I pick up the rem golden hp as well, whenever I can. I can't say I've looked at the price lately, but $12-$14 seems to stick out in my mind. It tends to be clean like copper jacketed, but cheap like lead.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Hillmann wrote:

I think it is remmingtongolden HP. I will have to look when I get home. What Is MiniMag?

I think the cheapest I have ever paid for a brick is seven or eight dollers but usually closser to ten or eleven although that is for Remmington CCI may be cheaper but I don't price it because my gun dosen't like it anymore.

Let me know what you have and I guarantee I can get it for you for half what you're paying for it. We're swimming in .22 over here.

MiniMag isCCI's high velocity load.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
I was just looking on line and saw that the sites that sell Minimag call a 100 round box a brick. When I said a brick I mean five hundred rounds.

Ah! Ok that explains it. $17/500 is still extremely high. Remmington gold goes for like $13/500 around here (might be less, haven't checked in awhile).

100 rounds is usually refered to as "brick" because of the shape of the box.
309_CCI_22lr_Mini_Mag.jpg

single-brick.jpg

:p

Hillmann

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Hillmann wrote:

Ah! Ok that explains it. $17/500 is still extremely high. Remmington gold goes for like $13/500 around here (might be less, haven't checked in awhile).

100 rounds is usually refered to as "brick" because of the shape of the box.
309_CCI_22lr_Mini_Mag.jpg

single-brick.jpg

:p
And everyone else calls 500 a brick because 10 smaller boxes packed into one larger box is the same size shape and weight of a brick.:lol: