• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Letter To The Editor Was Published

Hef

imported post

Some angry, anti-gun idiot wrote a nasty letter to the local paper a couple weeks ago...

http://www.islandpacket.com/opinion/letters/story/937435.html

Wake up to realities of needed gun control
Published Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Comments (43)

The news reported that yet another demented person has exercised his Second Amendment rights. He got off 52 shots with two guns in a matter of minutes, killing three and injuring nine in a fitness center before killing himself Aug. 4 in Pittsburgh.

The most outrageous propaganda from the National Rifle Association and its zealous followers is that those of us who want to see a ban on assault weapons also want to take guns away from hunters. They know this is an outright lie, but they perpetuate the myth because the gullible believe it. The most extreme members of this group would even like to see background checks eliminated.

It was not necessary to add an amendment to the Bill of Rights to protect hunters' rights. Owning hunting rifles was a given back then. Most of the nation was rural, and hunting was a way of life. Our forefathers wrote the Second Amendment to ensure the safety of our new nation. "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." This is not two sentences; it is not even a compound sentence, i.e., two complete thoughts. The second phrase refers to the first. The authors of this amendment wanted to ensure that our fledgling nation could protect itself with a militia.

Our forefathers certainly didn't envision that this amendment would give rise to everyone brandishing assault weapons. We are the most violent nation in the civilized world, with by far the most murders. When are we going to wake up and stop the carnage?

Beverly Leick

Hilton Head Island

So I fired off a response letter that was published today...

http://www.islandpacket.com/opinion/letters/story/946932.html

Basic rights don't change with technology
Published Thursday, August 27, 2009
Comments (11)

In the recent letter, "Wake up to realities of needed gun control," the writer stated that the Pennsylvania fitness center murderer "exercise(d) his Second Amendment rights."

No, murder is not a right, and those who do exercise their rights are not demented. They are called citizens.

We good citizens will not tolerate our lawfully owned firearms being threatened by paranoid authoritarians who simply don't understand that the Second Amendment isn't about hunting. We demonstrate this by banding together as the largest lobbying group in America, the National Rifle Association. We fight every day to prevent the statists from enacting gun and ammunition registration, microstamping, gun bans, exorbitant taxes and a host of other measures designed to eliminate civilian gun ownership.

Our founding fathers might not have imagined semi-automatic rifles or machine guns, but they did wish for the average citizen to be able to fight for his freedom with a weapon on par with whatever the average soldier might use against him. In 1776, that was a musket. Today, it would be an AR15. It is no different a concept than the First Amendment protecting our free speech on the Internet, radio or TV, even though our founding fathers might not have imagined those technologies.

I'll leave you with this quote: "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed -- unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

David Robertson

Hilton Head Island

shad0wfax

imported post

I liked what you had to say to the editor about law-abiding citizens and murder not being a right. That's the type of argument the antis need to be hearing and hopefully acknowledging. You also make a very good point about the militias of the 1700s being armed with the weapons of war for that time period. (The militias owned cannons too.) I'm glad your letter was published.

I'm not surprised at her attitude, given the demographic of where she (actually both of you) live. It struck me as an elitist community of SC, much like Long Island was in NY a few decades ago.

No, I'm not calling you an elitist, but I did get the impression that it was an exclusive area and those seem to be meccas for naive liberals to flock to.

Slightly off-topic, but the place honestly seemed to have as many golf courses as it did neighborhoods.I had some business at the Beaufort County Sheriff's Department (no I was not in trouble) that I had to take care of. I ended up kicking around the Island after I was done at the Sheriff's officebecause I was curious about the area. I was pulled over twice (for no reason other than out of state plates) and asked what I was doing on the Island, where I was coming from,where I was going and who did I know in the area. The local LEOs literally ran me out of town when I told them it was none of their business. They pointed me towards the 278 and said "hit the road" you're not lost on the Island anymore.LOL

Idontownone

imported post

Hef wrote:
Some angry, anti-gun idiot wrote a nasty letter to the local paper a couple weeks ago...

Comments (43)

The news reported that yet another demented person has exercised his Second Amendment rights. He got off 52 shots with two guns in a matter of minutes, killing three and injuring nine in a fitness center before killing himself Aug. 4 in Pittsburgh.

The most outrageous propaganda from the National Rifle Association and its zealous followers is that those of us who want to see a ban on assault weapons also want to take guns away from hunters. They know this is an outright lie, but they perpetuate the myth because the gullible believe it. The most extreme members of this group would even like to see background checks eliminated.

It was not necessary to add an amendment to the Bill of Rights to protect hunters' rights. Owning hunting rifles was a given back then. Most of the nation was rural, and hunting was a way of life. Our forefathers wrote the Second Amendment to ensure the safety of our new nation. "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." This is not two sentences; it is not even a compound sentence, i.e., two complete thoughts. The second phrase refers to the first. The authors of this amendment wanted to ensure that our fledgling nation could protect itself with a militia.

Our forefathers certainly didn't envision that this amendment would give rise to everyone brandishing assault weapons. We are the most violent nation in the civilized world, with by far the most murders. When are we going to wake up and stop the carnage?

Beverly Leick

Hilton Head Island

Comments (11)

In the recent letter, "Wake up to realities of needed gun control," the writer stated that the Pennsylvania fitness center murderer "exercise(d) his Second Amendment rights."

No, murder is not a right, and those who do exercise their rights are not demented. They are called citizens.

We good citizens will not tolerate our lawfully owned firearms being threatened by paranoid authoritarians who simply don't understand that the Second Amendment isn't about hunting. We demonstrate this by banding together as the largest lobbying group in America, the National Rifle Association. We fight every day to prevent the statists from enacting gun and ammunition registration, microstamping, gun bans, exorbitant taxes and a host of other measures designed to eliminate civilian gun ownership.

Our founding fathers might not have imagined semi-automatic rifles or machine guns, but they did wish for the average citizen to be able to fight for his freedom with a weapon on par with whatever the average soldier might use against him. In 1776, that was a musket. Today, it would be an AR15. It is no different a concept than the First Amendment protecting our free speech on the Internet, radio or TV, even though our founding fathers might not have imagined those technologies.

I'll leave you with this quote: "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed -- unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

David Robertson

Hilton Head Island
That is really a swell comment. As soon as you can truly make good guys and bad guys wear labels on their foreheads than I guess we will all know the difference between a "good" gun person and an idiot with a gun. I am not concerned about the bulk of the good gun guns. I want to spot the gun-idiot who is likely part of your fraternity of gun-nuts who will soon become a criminal.

wrightme

imported post

Idontownone wrote:
That is really a swell comment. As soon as you can truly make good guys and bad guys wear labels on their foreheads than I guess we will all know the difference between a "good" gun person and an idiot with a gun. I am not concerned about the bulk of the good gun guns. I want to spot the gun-idiot who is likely part of your fraternity of gun-nuts who will soon become a criminal.
Look up "prior restraint"

Watch the movie "minority report"

Take two range sessions and call me in the morning.

marine77

imported post

Idontownone wrote:
Hef wrote:

Comments (43)

Beverly Leick

Hilton Head Island

Comments (11)

David Robertson

Hilton Head Island
Don't feed the troll.

JT

imported post

Excellent response Hef. I particularly like the Madison quote at the end. Most people have no concept of the founders' reasoning for any of the Constitution.

As for the troll's incessant whine about being able to determine the difference between a " "good" gun person and an idiot with a gun," I suggest he look in the mirror. If he sees a gun owner with a mindset, behavior and mannerssimilar to his own, it's probably a good bet that he has found an idiot with a gun.