• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did I ever share mine?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ixtow wrote:
I still find it amazing how so many try to use 'be a man' as an argument for being the opposite of one...  A man uses tools to end a bad situation, not escalate it onto a brawl trying to prove something which such actions would prove the opposite of...  Yet this is what those very same people accuse gun owners of being.  It makes no sense at all.
I've always found this amazing myself. It's entirely irrational.

protector84

imported post

This "macho man" attitude that I've seen is also quite silly and counter-productive. Several people I've come across have said, "I don't need a gun. I know how to fight. Tools are for wimps. I'll fight with my bare hands." Tactically this is stupid and unrealistic. Hand-to-hand combat is likely to be more deadly than with weapons because you are in very close proximity to your attacker. It is easier to be beaten to deaththan shot to death from 100 feet away. As to the "bare hands" argument, what are you going to do when Mr. Bad guy pulls a knife and his friends are right behind you? A lot of people out there think that masculinity means "being tough" but they don't understand what being tough means. Tough is not going around like a gangbanger bullying people. To borrow someone else's quote, the proper way to behave is "to talk softly but carry a big stick." I have nothing to prove but a hell of a lot to protect.

simmonsjoe

imported post

You can be all macho and manly, basically your saying "If you don't do it my way, its unfair"

Fu(k that, I'm hitting you with a chair. I don't care if its macho or not i'm the one still standing.

Being a man means accepting the fact the world isn't fair.

protector84

imported post

Exactly. Acting tough and being tough are two different things. I have nothing to prove but a lot to protect. I couldn't care less how strangers perceive me anyway except that they leave me alone. I'm not big and strong and don't generally look intimidating. In fact something kind of funny happened one time where I was going for a walk late at night and some creep in a car apparently mistook me for a woman due to my hairstyle. The weirdo was whistling from his car and making gestures. When I turned a corner and the firearm was at a viewable angle, suddenly the engine raced and the guy was gone. Again, I talk/walk/act softly but carry a big stick (Glock 19) because in the end, who is ultimately the one receiving the stupid sign.

Capn Camo

imported post

You trapped in a vehicle, defending a child against someone physically larger whos out of his mind with rage. Id say you handled it "textbook."

How do you know HE doesnt have a gun?

" This "macho man" attitude that I've seen is also quite silly and counter-productive."

Foolish statement. Made of ignorance, I assume.
Me, I'd "show" then drop the mag in a pocket and get out. But thats just me.... (and a few dozen friends) ESPECIALLY with witnesses. Witnesses to him threatening me, grabing me, then me popping both his eardrums. Eyes, ears and throat are very easy targets for one finger.

I dont necessarily recomend others do that. Im trained for it. Neither do I recommend others not be so trained.

People in that attackers mental state are clumsy and slow, especially the big ones.
Never mind that they have no real training in how to fight, or they wouldnt act that way.

"Tactically this is stupid and unrealistic. "

Think so? Heres your "un-realistic."

Ones I've taken on without a gun: (or actually they were stupid enough to take me on)

* Car full of teenage boys driving 50-70 mph in a 20 mph zone in attempted vehicular assault on a teenage girl. I blocked the street with my vehicle, and one smart a** got out of the back seat and threated me and i told him "bring it on, boy" and he got back in the car. He didnt go in the ambulance. Sherriff Deputy found them and read them the Riot Act.

* county tough man contest winner who attacked a friend, Tough man contest winner hit me upside the head several times, and I just stood there and looked at him, then kicked him in the stomach. That one was about a draw. We were both drunker than monkies... Cop was PISSED that I passed the field test, he KNEW I was toasted. Its all about TRAINING. Did I mention that was AFTER my friend had accidentaly hit me with his CAR in an attempt to run the attacker down?

* sexual predator cornered me in a more or less remote part of a Public Park. He trapped me in and grabbed my crotch, I grabbed him by the throat. He gave up, especially after me telling him I was about to beat the f*** out of him.

* some idiot at a County Fair in Ohio threatened to do a flying kick and knock me out. He did. I moved a foot back, He landed in a heap, then crawled away. I laugh. I think one of my friends put him up to it.

* some other idiot came through my drivers door to assault me at night at a skating rink, I kicked him in the left knee. Was told I broke it, but s*** happens.

* some 'nother idiot attacked me in traffic through drivers side open window, I grabbed both his arms, dug fingernails in, spun around in the seat and almost took his head off with a right foot. Realizing he didnt have a chance against two feet through a window, he left.

Shall I go on?? And on?

YOU WANNA TELL ME ABOUT UNREALISTIC? Them aint TV stories.

The critical point is, didnt NEED one. Not every situation is that simple.

Are YOU, Mr/Mrs Gun Owner, going to draw a gun on EVERY threat? If I did, Id probably be in PRISON right now.

You wanna talk about STUPID and MACHO? Meet every assault with deadly force. The JUDGE WILL LOVE THAT ONE. Your name will be Prison b'yatch.

Its a basic premise of self defense/law to meet force with force. This is an ESPECIALLY important topic considering most people are trained with firearms to only shoot center-mass/head kill shots. Its ingrained training even I struggle with. I was training in the house for "move into a doorway -quick draw - acquire - fire" at the back door. 1-1/2 - 2 seconds from concealed draw - lift shirt, cock, aim, verify target, click- 2 seconds. Ahead of time, Id picked out a lower, non lethal target (doorknob) and was disturbed to realize that in each practice, I instinctively targeted the HEAD (door chain). thats a DEAD attacker. I dont like that. Simple B&E does not automatically equal DEAD.

Sidebar: Had a green belt student who didn't think his training was adequate/would work. He was actually depressed and thinking about quitting training because of all the hard work he was doing in training that he didn't think was useful.

He came to class one night just beaming with pride. Seems some idiot confronted him with a knife. The lowly green belt student took the knife away from him. I says "I told you so!"

EDIT.

I JUST GOT DONE POSTING THIS RANT, and this shows up on Seattle PI:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/412796_bus01.html?source=rss

See what I mean about instinctive center mass shot? Attacker almost killed for SIMPLE (aggrivated?) ASSAULT. Not like he didnt have some response coming, but....

Shoot him in the foot first.

But this STUPID woman and her family couldnt resist escalating the situation by making obscene gestures and saying stupid things in return, instead of calmly warning the attacker she was armed and getting the bus driver involved.