• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tennessee Firearm Laws

aadvark

imported post

Why are Tennessee's Firearms Laws so strict? Seriously, I can not figure it out!

In Tennessee, per 39-17-1307(a)(1), it is a crime to carry, with the intent to go armed, any Firearm... period. This is unheard of in the South, and I can not understand it.

Sure, I understand that there are defenses, per39-17-1308(a)(1),namely that the Firearm is unloaded, but... this is unheard of for a Southern State to outlaw an loaded Shotgun or loaded Rifle in plain sight while in Public. It goes further to say that the ammunition can not be about the person.

I know of no other Southern State that so strictly regulates Weapons either. Since when, in any other Southern State, has carrying a Knife, of any length, been a Crime so as long as the Knife in question was not concelaed?

The phrase 'with the intent to go armed' is unique only to Tennesse, and I think thatThe Tennesee Firearms Association should get the Tennessee Legislature to look over some thingsduring its next Legislativesession.

Fallguy

imported post

I have wondered this myself.

I have thought maybe it has to do with the Right to Carry laws that were passed about that time.

I did not check every statute, but a quick check of several under Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 Weapons, showsmanywere created by Public Chapter591 in 1989.

I wonder if after Handgun Carry Permits were issued they decided to just completly redo all the weapon laws. And for whatever reason basically make all weapons (even long gungs) illegal outside the home unless you have a HCP or meet other criteria in 39-17-1308

Wiggy

imported post

There was a bill that was being passed around about two months ago that would allow permit holders to have loaded rifles and shotguns in their vehicles so long as there wasn't one in the chamber... But I never heard if it became a law or not. I wonder what happened to that?

old dog

imported post

Don't you suppose that Tennessee's HCP law supercedes earlier carry restrictions?

Fallguy

imported post

old dog wrote:
Don't you suppose that Tennessee's HCP law supercedes earlier carry restrictions?

Of course any new state law supercedes previous state law.

The state's preemption law 39-17-1314 says any local ordnances or resolutions passed and enacted prior to April 8, 1986 are still valid.

That is an issue in Knoxville, right now. They had an ordnance on the books prior to that date that said it is illegal to carry in a park. So actually they don't have to opt out of the new state law, they already have an ordnance in place. They are trying to decided whether to remove that ordnacne or not.

aadvark

imported post

Irregardless, Tennessee needs to change its Firearms Laws to reflect its place as a Southern State, and to match the Culture of the South.

Open Carry of a Firearm, thoughout much of The South, especially of Pistol, is a seemingly taboo subject. Furthermore, when one puts the words 'Alcohol' and 'Pistol' in the same sentence, then, the there are all kinds of inparticular politics.

However, Open Carry, is gaining momentum around the United States, and it is time for Tennessee to 'jump on the bandwagon',... so to speak.

However, Citizens in Tennessee should never face any charge for merely carrying a Firearm or Knife in Public so as long as it is done so openly. Any Lawthat authorizes a Class C Misdemeanor orClass B Misdemeanor for this 'Crime' needs to be repealed, and Tennessee should apoligize to its Citizens for those Laws.

WCrawford

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I think we may have to start by running all the Yankee "carpetbaggers" out of the state. ;)
Not sure if I qualify. I've been told I'm not a true southerner because I didn't grow up here (I grew up outside of Chicago) even if I was born in Nashville.:D

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
I think we may have to start by running all the Yankee "carpetbaggers" out of the state. ;)
Not sure if I qualify. I've been told I'm not a true southerner because I didn't grow up here (I grew up outside of Chicago) even if I was born in Nashville.:D
Well..... since you grew up outside of Mobland we might be able to let ya slide.

ProguninTN

imported post

aadvark wrote:
However, Citizens in Tennessee should never face any charge for merely carrying a Firearm or Knife in Public so as long as it is done so openly. Any Lawthat authorizes a Class C Misdemeanor orClass B Misdemeanor for this 'Crime' needs to be repealed, and Tennessee should apoligize to its Citizens for those Laws.
Ok. I'll take the bait. I oppose. If you are suggesting we get VA-style carry in TN. To me, it's stupid that the state would trust someone to carry openly, but suddenly require a permit if the weapon is concealed. I would prefer all or nothing. (Permit legal for both like we have now, or no permit required for either open or concealed.) Of course, in VA other reasons to obtain the permit are for reciprocity and OGAM exemption. (We don't have any stinking OGAM laws in TN.) On a historical note, TN formerly permitted open carry sans permit as long the weapon was carried in the hand before 1989. (See Carrying A Handgun for Self Defense in Tennessee by John L. Harris, III)

I agree that TN could still stand to improve its laws, but it is nowhere near as bad as MA.