• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ankle Holster for XD40 4"

dwayner79

imported post

I love my XD40. The problem is there are times when on the hip or under the arm are not good options. So I would like an ankle holster for it, but have had little luck finding one.

Anyone use a full size on the ankle? Problems, concerns, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

DMWyatt

imported post

The XD/HS2000's are my favorite gun of all the ones I've shot and owned, but an ankle gun they are not... Even the sub-compact is heavy enough I would be wary of carrying it in most of the ankle holsters on the market today. Are you looking to openly carry it or conceal it? If you want to OC it, I'd suggest looking into a drop-leg platform. For CCW, I've seen a few people reinforce the cargo pockets on a pair of cargo pants and carry that way. I always thought that sounded like a reasonably clever solution.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I'm an "experienced" ankle carrier. My job dictates that I wear a suit andtie everyday, but my suit coat will come off on occasion during the day, dependingon what portion of my duties need to be completed. So, ankle carry is my best option, as I don't like pocket carry at all.

The largest gun I can get away with is a Kahr K9/40 size and/or G26/27/33, which is roughly the same size as the XDsc guns. If you were to need to use ankle carry as a daily method of carry, I would suggest looking at the Galco Ankle Glove and investing in a smaller weapon. The 2" J-frame revolvers (and like-sized snubbies) are also great options for ankle carry. My current (its on right now) ankle gun is a Kahr MK9 w/Trijicons and CTC Lasergrips.

Its not for everyone, but ankle carry can be a nice method of carrying a decent weapon in an out-of-the-way place. It takes a good two weeks, at least, to get used to, so don't give up after a day or two. You'll get used to it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One of the problems with an ankle holster is that even a small, lightgun pushes the sleeve down against the top of your footandrubs a bit.

Another aspect is that in order to keep the gun tight to your leg so it doesn't flop around, you have to fasten the sleeve tight enough to affect circulation a little. You start to feel it pretty quick initially. As you do it more, the discomfort comes later and later. But 8 hours can start to hurt. With a heavier gun, I imagine you will have to wrap the sleeve even tighter around your ankle to keep if from flopping around while you walk.

Now, to keep the sleeve off your foot, or a little higher on your ankle, somehave a strap that wraps around the top of your calf, with a suspender strap that drops down and attaches to the ankle sleeve. The problem with this is that in order to get it to hold up the gun, you have to wrap it just tight enough to not be comfortable around the top of your calf, again affecting circulation just a bit. The other problem is that as you flex your ankle, your calf expands and contracts as the muscles move your ankle. So, for the suspender sleeve to not slide down your calf, you have to wrap it a little tight with your calf "deflated". But then whenever you flex your ankle the other direction, the sleeve around your calf tightens, making you wish someone had invented a more "stretchable" sleeve. Except that if it was too stretchable, it would just slide down your calf as the weight of the gun pulled it.

Another problem is that the gun is about as far away from instant use as it can be and still be on your body.

I'm convinced ankle holsters just weren't well thought out as a method of gun carry.

Maybe somebody will invent low-cut cowboy boots where the holster can just clip over the top of the boot, and the stiff boot leather will carry the weight of the gun.

In the meantime, I might suggest a "tuckable" holster that fully conceals down inside your trousers. The holster companies that advertise on this forum have them. So much the better if you can get a narrower, smaller gun.

dwayner79

imported post

Thanks for the feedback. I assumed as much. It is ashame no one has been able to figure out how to put a full size on the leg comfortably.

This may sound odd, but I really only need ankle carry at church. We hug a good bit, and we do the huddle prayer up front. Like this, but wearing jeans, not suits.

This can be tough for either waistband or under the arm (which is where I carry during the week at work).

I've been ready to get a nice J-frame anyway, so I think I will have to carry that to Church instead. Hopefully I will have the money soon.