• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Free coffee or lunch for 30 minutes of conversation?

MarcoWasRight

imported post

Hey all. Been lurking for several months but never got around to joining.

Just a little background about me. I'm 19 and attend ASU. I have shot a few rifles back when I was much younger but currently do not own a gun. This place has really sparked an interest in open carrying since it is so widely accepted here in the great state of Arizona. I just permamently moved to AZ after spending 6 years in NC and the first 12/13 years of my life in WI.

I'm currently in a Justice class that requires an interview no shorter than 30 minutes to be recorded with a member of an organization "seeking social justice" in the local area. The first thing to pop into my head was OCDO.

If any of you could spare 30 minutes or so to sit down and just talk about OC'ing, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd be more inclined to meet people near Tempe/Gilbert but am willing to drive a bit further to accomadate your schedule. Wherever you choose to meet, your drink/food is on me as long as I can use your words in my paper. If you would like to review anything I use, I'd be more than happy to give you a copy of the transcript and paper before I turn it in.

Edit: Come to think of it, I could attend one of the OC dinners but I'd prefer to do something a bit quieter. All of the audio has to be recorded and then transcribed so a noisy restaurant may not work but I'm open to suggestions.

LuvmyXD9

imported post

MarcoWasRight wrote:
Hey all. Been lurking for several months but never got around to joining.

Just a little background about me. I'm 19 and attend ASU. I have shot a few rifles back when I was much younger but currently do not own a gun. This place has really sparked an interest in open carrying since it is so widely accepted here in the great state of Arizona. I just permamently moved to AZ after spending 6 years in NC and the first 12/13 years of my life in WI.

I'm currently in a Justice class that requires an interview no shorter than 30 minutes to be recorded with a member of an organization "seeking social justice" in the local area. The first thing to pop into my head was OCDO.

If any of you could spare 30 minutes or so to sit down and just talk about OC'ing, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd be more inclined to meet people near Tempe/Gilbert but am willing to drive a bit further to accomadate your schedule. Wherever you choose to meet, your drink/food is on me as long as I can use your words in my paper. If you would like to review anything I use, I'd be more than happy to give you a copy of the transcript and paper before I turn it in.

Edit: Come to think of it, I could attend one of the OC dinners but I'd prefer to do something a bit quieter. All of the audio has to be recorded and then transcribed so a noisy restaurant may not work but I'm open to suggestions.
I am in Tempe in the Rural/Baseline area and travel frequently to ASU dorms for a lady friend of mine.

I'm open to talk and help you in whatever way possible, PM me for a phone number and we can meet up. If you find someone else, that's fine too. FWIW, I am 23 and also a college student. I dont know if you'd prefer someone older or around your age range.

MarcoWasRight

imported post

Well, I didn't expect so much enthusiasm but some of you guys are really going above and beyond your basic rights by educating those who would like to know more.

I'd love to hear from all of you but am not sure if the assignment was worded to say " a member of a local group" for a reason. I will send an e-mail to my professor to see how he feels about it. My only other concern is whether an unorganized online forum will fall within his guidelines. While you guys don't have any leadership you are still organized under one main purpose with a few small differences of opinion. I know several here are also part of other gun rights groups though.

Either way, once I hear back from my professor I'll be updating you guys. If I am only allowed to interview a single person then it would only be fair to work things out with Clyde since he responded first.

Thanks you guys. You rule! :celebrate

kenpoprofessor

imported post

Cool, free lunch and gun talk, you gonna bring chicks for later :D?

Seriously though, I'm a member of many groups and association, but not part of the NRA, NSA, FBI, CIA, or MI6 :cool:. I belong to a few martial art groups as well, and my rank entitles me to use the title of "Senior Professor of the Arts".

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

DMGNUT

imported post

Even if your Professor says no to the interview with many, over just one, you should still consider showing up at the OC Dinner at Golden Corral in Gilbert on Sept 19.

I've never been to one of these, but what's not to like about All-you-can-eat and a bunch of gun owners.

MarcoWasRight

imported post

Finally got an answer from my professor. While interviewing more than one person would be ok, he said that he would prefer just a one on one interview and would explain more next week. :?

Gotta love it, when you get a list of all the papers you have to write but you can't ask questions until the professor decides he/she wants to answer them. Even though I didn't say anything about my topic, I have a strange feeling that he will fight using OCDO any way he can.

MarcoWasRight

imported post

Sorry for disappearing for so long. My assignment now has an official due date and the requirements have been outlined.

LuvmyXD9, if you are still active here you would be the perfect subject for an interview. Kenpo and Matt, I appreciate the offers but my topic has been pushed towards college and carrying with some emphasis on the new parking lot law.

LuvmyXD9, I'll be PM'ing you soon with a few questions just to make sure you will meet the criteria to be interviewed.

LuvmyXD9

imported post

MarcoWasRight wrote:
Sorry for disappearing for so long. My assignment now has an official due date and the requirements have been outlined.

LuvmyXD9, if you are still active here you would be the perfect subject for an interview. Kenpo and Matt, I appreciate the offers but my topic has been pushed towards college and carrying with some emphasis on the new parking lot law.

LuvmyXD9, I'll be PM'ing you soon with a few questions just to make sure you will meet the criteria to be interviewed.
Sounds good buddy. I'm still active here and awaiting your message.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

MarcoWasRight wrote:
...My assignment now has an official due date and the requirements have been outlined.

Sounds like an interesting paper. I'd love to read it when you're done.

Good luck with it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ixtow wrote:
Didn't I see exactly this OP posted in another State's forum a while ago?
I don't see it anywhere else, ixtow. Perhaps you're thinking of another incident.