• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA -OC'er Thinking about Moving to CO. Springs...

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So here I am, out of work for near 18 months with no real answers or prospects for respectable or secure employment.

My father lives out in CO. Springs that might provide me some limited support as I might be able to live in his house while he is out in Iraq and then Germany for 5 years.

I am seriously thinking of moving my family from Los Angeles and am really trying to see what prospects there might be there.

How is the jobs market out there?

Housing market?

Are the schools there liberal indoctrination systems?

Is there any reason I should not consider CO. Springs?

Yooper

imported post

Theseus wrote:
So here I am, out of work for near 18 months with no real answers or prospects for respectable or secure employment.

My father lives out in CO. Springs that might provide me some limited support as I might be able to live in his house while he is out in Iraq and then Germany for 5 years.

I am seriously thinking of moving my family from Los Angeles and am really trying to see what prospects there might be there.

How is the jobs market out there?

Housing market?

Are the schools there liberal indoctrination systems?

Is there any reason I should not consider CO. Springs?

My understanding from living west of Denver for a number of years, is that CO Springs is pretty conservative, very pro gun (not 100% sure of the city, but the county sheriff's are for sure). As you move north, you move left (politically speaking), until you get to Boulder which is like the California of the rocky mountains.

In general, as long as you're outside of the E/C470 circle, you shouldn't see much harassment for being a gun owner, but there are exceptions, because Boulder is out of that circle.

zach

imported post

What type of job market are you looking for?

Construction is SSLLLOOOWW in the Springs right now. My dad has been laid off for 3 months, he was an estimator for a framing company.

From what I've seen the tech jobs in that area aren't much better looking. I'm in telecom and I live in Castle Rock, but I have to work in Denver.

On the up side, you'll be much happier. From what I gather from friends the schools are pretty good, there is one district that has a lower rating, but I can't remember the number right now.

I moved from San Diego 3 years ago, won't ever move back to Kalifornia. In fact I rarely go back out there, maybe once a year.

The pace of life is much better, but the cost of living seems to be about the same. Housing is cheaper, especially now with the downturn in the economy.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Are there really that few people in the Springs area?

Or maybe you all are scared about a Californian coming to ruin it for you? Ha ha. . . If it makes you feel any better, I was raised in Virginia.

newsguy

imported post

Colorado Springs is going thru the same economic slowdown as the rest of the nation. Right now our unemployment is about 10 percent. Construction is slow right now, although reports seem to indicate that might have bottomed out. For the most part schools are fairly good, but some are better than others, even within the same district. And we have many school districts.

If I may be allowed a shameless plug, check out local news at gazette.com. That's a Web site for the local newspaper, my employer. It's not the entire paper, but it does feature the top news of the day.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was there in June and talking to some folks that think there is work to be had, but that there are not enough people to do the work.

Unemployment may be high, but the 4th ID just moved to Ft. Carson, is that not having a positive effect?

And, if anyone is interested, my dad is Deputy Commander of 407th AFSBN.

newsguy

imported post

I hear it both ways on the 4th ID moving to Fort Carson, and I don't really know one way or the other.As far as some industries needing people, that might be true, depending on your field. If you know people who think you have a good shot for work, come on down! We'll be happy to have another hard worker in town. If you look at gazette.com, don't be put off by the comments after news stories and editorials. Even the really wacky ones are fairly decent people in person. And the local paper has a pro-2nd Amendment editorial page!

George

ooghost1oo

imported post

I hear Colo Sprgs is great for OC'ing, but I haven't tried it yet. I, too, am suffering from a lousy job-market, and can't afford a damned holster.

Construction IS mega-slow. Can't find work as a Heavy Equipment Operator. Nothing else is much better. I've been being jerked around for the last month just trying to get a friggin FOOD SERVING position. I used to be able to go out and get pretty-much any job I wanted on the spot. Not anymore.

Shameless plug: I have been getting by by coming up with creative ways to make money on the side, like curb painting. And writing. And writing a book about curb painting. Here's a link:

http://EddiePatin.com/books/nonfiction.html

Yooper

imported post

newsguy wrote:
Colorado Springs is going thru the same economic slowdown as the rest of the nation. Right now our unemployment is about 10 percent.

Don't come to Michigan, we have the highest unemployment rate in the country.
My county is around 15%. One neighboring county is at 25%.

ZackL

imported post

I live in Calhan (30-40 mi. NE of the springs) and as LEO or people in general with guns, it's really relaxed. I had some LEO contact today (another story for another time) and it went relatively smoothly... but there's definitely some younger people moving from Denver to the springs area that aren't so gun-friendly.

I've been out of work for eight months now, but you can still find odd jobs to make bills if you can't get steady work. If you're not above it I know several of the "quick lube" shops around town are always looking, but they don't pay well at all and for some their upper management sucks.

Schools are good from what I've been told. My brother is in high school out here, but that doesn't mean I get the facts about them from him...

In all I guess if you're up for the move and think it could do you some good then come on out. There's really nowhere that's doing well right now, but at least here you'll know that you're set on the school and gun front.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So it seems I will be moving out there! Yay!

I will be there in a few weeks I guess. Look forward to living in a free state.

bomber

imported post

ooghost1oo wrote:
I hear Colo Sprgs is great for OC'ing, but I haven't tried it yet. I, too, am suffering from a lousy job-market, and can't afford a damned holster.

Construction IS mega-slow. Can't find work as a Heavy Equipment Operator. Nothing else is much better. I've been being jerked around for the last month just trying to get a friggin FOOD SERVING position. I used to be able to go out and get pretty-much any job I wanted on the spot. Not anymore.

Shameless plug: I have been getting by by coming up with creative ways to make money on the side, like curb painting. And writing. And writing a book about curb painting. Here's a link:

http://EddiePatin.com/books/nonfiction.html

what kind of gun?

bomber

imported post

my parents live in the springs. they love it. i hear that the housing market is stable, but i don't know that with any certainty.

i live in denver, and i OC in the springs every chance i get. havent heard a word from anyone.

i dont about the job market. it is a very conservative city, thats for sure.

bomber

imported post

zach wrote:
What type of job market are you looking for?

Construction is SSLLLOOOWW in the Springs right now. My dad has been laid off for 3 months, he was an estimator for a framing company.

From what I've seen the tech jobs in that area aren't much better looking. I'm in telecom and I live in Castle Rock, but I have to work in Denver.

On the up side, you'll be much happier. From what I gather from friends the schools are pretty good, there is one district that has a lower rating, but I can't remember the number right now.

I moved from San Diego 3 years ago, won't ever move back to Kalifornia. In fact I rarely go back out there, maybe once a year.

The pace of life is much better, but the cost of living seems to be about the same. Housing is cheaper, especially now with the downturn in the economy.

I used to live in SD too. long time ago. the only thing i miss is the beach. colorado is so much better than california, in my opinion