• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Monthy Meeting Place

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

For those who were at the Municipal Park in Boise last week, John asked me, or I volunteered to find a place here in Meridian to have a monthly meeting. I found two locations that I think fit our needs.

Idaho Pizza 405 E. Fairview Ave. Merdian. They have a nice room that will hold up to 88 folks, and the room has a partition that will make it smaller since we don't' have the numbers yet. Will not cost to use the room, they will require a credit card just to use for a deposit, nothing will be run on it. It can be done once or each time we have a meeting. They offer discounted food to the group when we hold a meeting, well some sort of deal for us. (dont know specificly, didn't ask details) Most importantly they have no issues with us OCing.

Fuddruckers 3421 N. Eagle Rd Meridian. It is between Ustick and McMillian on Eagle Rd. So far they seem receptive, waiting on the lead manager to check with owner, he doesn't see an issue but checking anyway to see if the OC thing wont cause issue with owner. He said he had never been asked this type of question before, hey.... add one more educated soul to the list. I let him know what the law said, that it is legal and we are not a bunch of yahoos. I emphasized we would also not be drinking there, they do serve alcohol. He was glad of that fact. I am waiting on an answer right now. Alright, they have a nice room but not as large as Idaho Pizza. Should hold 50+ and all they ask is that we eat there. I think if a majority eat then that shouldn't be an issue. 1 out of 20 eat and they will feel we are taking advantage of the free room. I am assuming this, they didn't say it. I did.

Bottom line, these are the two best places I found in Meridian that will fit our needs in all aspects. I tried VFW but they are never open here, at least when I go by. I will PM John Wolver and see when the first meet will get going. Once a month is great. Hope to see a great turnout on this. See you all eventually and look for the post.

jdgypsy

imported post

Didn't mean to sound like only those at the park last week are the only ones invited. After I posted it I read it again, sounded like that is what it seemed. Once the location is set, and posted........ of course all are welcome.

Just clearing that up.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Please don't go around asking permission for our legal activity. These places are open to do business with the public and we are the public. If they have a problem I'm CERTAIN that they will let us know and we can take our business elsewhere. By asking permission first, you're asking them to make a decision about guns in their store before they even see the responsible carry of them. If they are like many of the unthinking crowd out there, they will jump to their own conclusions of what we will look like, what disturbance we will cause, etc before there is ever even a problem to worry about. Same thing goes for those of you going around making statements to people like "Well, I didn't see a sign, why don't you post one?" Not having a sign on the building gives other OCers the chance to mistakenly walk in and be asked to leave....the more this happens, the more they realize how much money they miss out on. If they wanted to put a sign up, let them come up with the idea on their own. We don't need to help their cause. Basically, just go about your own business out there...no reason to ask permission or look for problems. Enough problems find us on their own.

By all means, if you're trying to reserve a space in a conference room or something, go meet and talk to them, tell them you want to hold the room. If they ask what group it is, go ahead and tell them, no need to be deceptive. By all means have your handgun on when you go ask. But you wouldn't ask if hats are allowed in the building, so don't ask about the guns.

Now, if you're trying to avoid conflict, why not patronize one of the many restaurants that
have already proven themselves to be cordial? Go check the list for some great suggestions.

jdgypsy, please don't take what I said as directly towards you. Just sharing the experience I've learned from others wiser than I. I don't know if I got a chance to say it, but I'm thrilled you're doing this and I can't wait to meet you.

jdgypsy

imported post

Got your point, I agree. Issue is when the decision is made on where and when to show and there are 20+ folks who drove from Nampa, Caldwell and Boise and beyond sitting in front of a place and tuned away, then what. Don't want to waste everyone's time then getting back into cars and going to another location.

I didn't go all over town, I found two that had the space, then talked to the manager while all the time OCing. The two good locations as you read had no issues that I walked in that way, only one is checking with owner. If that one says no, then it will be posted on the list. Out of the two places that fit out needs, they were the only two I asked would it be a problem.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Make sure a McDonalds and a park is near by. :) We can always take our 20 or 30 people (when we get to that point lol) through the drive-thru and eat in peace at a public park. We can't be kicked out of the park.

As for getting turned away at the door? I think it sends a clearer message to them to have to turn us ALL away with cash in hand than it does to just send you away when you go alone to ask.

I would also like to change the location every so often...for a couple reasons. All those different places we all come from is one reason..makes distance equal out for some of us.

Secondly, to meet and talk with as many different people as we can in as many different places. The more they see a group like us going into public places and NOT seeing mass carnage, the better. Why not everyone make a suggestion for a place in their local area? Preferably a place you've been on your own with no issues.

My suggestion for this area would be Smokey Mountain pizza here in Eagle (our group has been there before, with about 10 of us) or Divinci's restaurant.

jdgypsy

imported post

Hey sounds good to me. Lets get one meeting under our belts and discuss it there, or pick the next place at that time. That is fair.

McDonalds, it would be the drive through, a majority of McD's in Boise are on the list as not gun friendly and will ask you to leave too or go place it in the car, we know how that will play out. "oh yeah sure be right back" LOL.

Show to the first meet and throw that out there if it is not brought up. Good idea.

ecocks

imported post

Suggestion:

I strongly agree that this should be a topic for discussion at the meeting.

Weigh this location thing carefully. While a static location is great due to building an atmosphere and history, there is also a lot to be said for shifting around among many sites.

1. It keeps visibility and public exposure high to go to different places.

2. Spreading the money around among OC-friendly businesses reminds them that we are viable customers who can and do spend money with them.

3.Variety among food, atmosphere andthe locations sometimes being closer tosomeone's home or work may be a factorin our attendance.

4. A new place also offers the business an opportunity to get a crowd exposed to their place. Especially if we get to where we can predict minimum numbers.

5. A hybrid strategy may be called for here. We could meet once per month at a regular location for a dinner, then ad hoc groups could pick an unknown place OR we could identify places to "test the waters" and setup 5-8 people to go there and report back without wives and children being affected.

While standing up for our rights is a regular thing for almost all ofus,it's a fine line between provoking trouble and dealing with it when it comes down the pike while exercising the right. As mentioned above, if someone has driven 15 miles after leaving workand rushing home to get the wife and kids then racing to the location only to be turned away, then any "standing for our rights" effect is wasted on people who already believe as we do.

While we all know the Brady Bunch and other anti groups organize and orchestrate their "events" there is absolutely nothing wrong with us establishing goals to push our agenda in a purposeful, peaceful, intelligent, LEGALand, most importantly SAFE manner

Hiredgun30

imported post

everyone is full of great ideas...after the events that unfolded in garden city, it will make this up coming event more important then ever.

hey IB.. i really want to have a monthlymeeting in downtown eagle !!!!

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I honestly don't leave Eagle that often and do everything within a square mile. I'd be happy to have coffee and hang out with anyone who wants to join me here on any Wed or Thurs, my normal days off.

ecocks

imported post

I'm game for wherever you guys pick. I'm new here so just give an address and I'll track it down.

ecocks

imported post

I'm game for wherever you guys pick. I'm new here so just give an address and I'll track it down.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Smokey Mountain pizza in Eagle, ID on the northeast corner of Old State St and Eagle Rd, just north of HW 44.

1:30pm, this upcoming Wed.

Looking forward to meeting you.

jdgypsy

imported post

Got a call from Fuddruckers manager today. He said no problem with a group having a meeting in the side room He apparently looked into the law, he also called the sheriffs dept on this, to check the law. He knows drinking is a no no, and mentioned that to me. I of course told him we don't condone that and would not be drinking.

Add that location to the list of possible locations to hold monthly meetings. The manager is now educated on the law and OCing. I hope that this idea of a monthly meeting is discussed and finalized during Sundays meet and within the week a location is decided on.

ecocks

imported post

IANAL!

However, I have a question.

Isn't Idaho's law that we cannot be intoxicated?

I may have read it wrong, but I sure thought we were okay to have a beer or other drink as long as we were not over the legal limit while carrying.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

The law specifically prohibits intoxication while "concealed". The law is silent on the matter of OC, however it would be easy to see a reckless endangerment charge or something similar if you were really wasted.

During the class Ada County offers, they made the point that "intoxicated" isn't defined in the law clearly...that the .08 standard applies to driving and it might be up to the discretion of the officer/judge.

I personally choose to not drink at all while I OC, just because of how it looks. Someone sitting across from me may not realize its my one and only drink for the night. I conceal when I'm planning on having a drink. Others would argue you shouldn't drink at all with a gun on you.