• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

County not allowing volunteers to carry.

imboostedru

imported post

I am part of a volunteer group that is run by the county sheriffs office. They made it so we are not allowed to carry while volunteering. Is this allowed by the state law?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I was thinking about joining Whatcom's unit. Seriously they want to disarm you while you are looking for a missing person in the "wild" woods?

Ask the Sheriff if he can legally stop you and to cite his reasons.

imboostedru

imported post

The sheriff is the one who personally came to a meeting and told us. His reasoning was that the county would be liable if anything happened. Also stating that we are not trained in using firearms as much as a deputy, so we are not qualified to carry.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I am going to guess they can forbid it just as any employer can restrict carry while at work. Whether you are being paid or not, if you are working for someone they have the power to set rules to follow. Your options are to follow the rules or volunteer somewhere else.

While the government is restricted in doing things to citizens, as an employer, the government has the same right to make rules for employees. It is not the same as the agency limiting your rights as a citizen, it is now a different relationship.

I have a CPL, I passed the necessary background checks for it and additional ones for my employment, however since I have no badge, I am not allowed to carry a gun in my employers building, even though a citizen can.

imboostedru

imported post

The best part is everyone was against this whole thing except the sheriff himself. His only defense was they would be liable. We have a few more like, we are out in the woods with all of the wildlife, not to mention all the drug labs and everything else they have out there. What is says to me personally is that the sheriff himself cares more about his political views than the safety of the people who are trying t help him.

imboostedru

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Concealed means concealed. It's not against the law.
I like the way you think. What could they do if I had to use it while on a search? Kick me out?Oh well, I still got my life I guess.

compmanio365

imported post

I'd tell them that I guess they don't want volunteers that bad. I'd want to do it, but I'd refuse to be out in the middle of the woods unarmed. Too many critters running around to run into.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
no search and rescue can carry while doing their duties
This is correct. However, I am not at all sure this applies to volunteers, at least legally.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I had the same experience with Fish and Game while working toward my master hunter. As a volunteer, you are considered to be an "employee" of the state or county as the case may be, because you have completed a form for insurance coverage if you are injured while volunteering.

M1Gunner, this could also apply to the litter patrol.