• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

County not allowing volunteers to carry.

FrankC

imported post

Carry something small and completely concealable if it makes you feel better and just keep quiet about it. IMO it is extremely irresponsible to send people out into the woods with no means of protection. At worst you will get fired from a job you don't get paid for but that would mean you had to actually use your gun for protection....

Nitrox314

imported post

Well, just dont expect to carry if you join the Dive Rescue team :lol:!

My father founded the Whatcom County Dive Rescue in the 90's because they didn't have one. I think they relied on Skagit back then, but I am not sure I was only a kid. Nevertheless, the Whatcom team started out with a modified ambulance and a small boat. I hear they have amphib now. I used to hang out with the group when they did training and some missions. I carried the tanks andTank-Boy was my name!!!

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

If you are working for Explorer Search and Rescue (ESAR), Mountain Rescue, the 4x4 Team or any of the others that are issued a Department of Emergency Management card, then you are covered under certain insurances provided by the state while in route to, during, and on your way home from performance of your volunteer activites. If you are coveredunder state insurance, butNOT a fully-commissioned law enforcement officer, then why wouldthe state want to pay for the liability of"allowing" you to be out and armed. They make the policy to forbid it for the insurance/liability concerns involved.Although, if you have a CPL, then concealed is concealed. Its up to you whether or not you want to follow"policy," but if you are "found out" during the performance of your duties, then you will likely be compelled to leave the organization.

And for what it's worth, I'm ex-ESAR.Great organization to teach youth responsibility, leadership and how to really help people.

-G20

Johnny Law

imported post

imboostedru wrote:
The sheriff is the one who personally came to a meeting and told us. His reasoning was that the county would be liable if anything happened. Also stating that we are not trained in using firearms as much as a deputy, so we are not qualified to carry.
Most SAR teams are controlled and overseen by a Sheriff's Dept. If a civilian should wind up in a shooting while volunteering, the liability would fall directly back on the Dept. The defense attorney (of the victim)would have a heyday with that in court;

"You allowed a citizen volunteer with unknown abilities and training to carry a gun while under your direct supervision?" Reckless, irresponsible, and liable are words the Dept. would hear. Then comes the big payout (everyone knows that a Dept. has much deeper pockets than an individual. Why in the world would any Dept take that risk on a complete unknown. It's a poor gamble at best.

Probably the worst that would happen to you if you did cc and got caught would be to be removed from SAR. Not the end of the world, but if you had any visions of ever working for, or with any Cop shop, you could kiss them goodbye.