• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MySpace must not be gun friendly

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

My 16 year old son posted this picture of himself helping to teach my 6 year old how to shoot a 22. MYSpace removed the picture. Can anyone tell me what the problem is with this picture.

Notice he is OCing. My 11 year old daughter is to the left of them in the orange shirt, and I am to the left of her in the blue shirt. A nice family day at the range.

Flyer22

imported post

I suspect that a fair number of people who are more or less neutral or moderately friendly toward guns would be horrified at the thought of allowing such a young child to handle a loaded gun under ANY circumstance. In my opinion, it would be wise to keep such pictures strictly within strongly gun-friendly circles. Many liberals would be fully capable of calling Child Protection services on the basis of such a picture.

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

brboyer wrote:
Alaskan Shooter wrote:
None of us wear eye protection.
Why not? You only get one set of eyes.

Couple of reasons, I never even heard of shooters glasses until about 10 years ago. We just didn't grow up with them. I tried them a few times and even had the kids wearing them one summer when my son was younger. Problem is that we shoot all year long. In the winter we pull off the scopes and shoot until it gets to 30 below zero. We shoot a full mag and then get in the truck to warm up and reload. The glasses ice up every time we get in and out of the truck.

Thats why in the winter we shoot with the iron sights and not the scope. Also you don't want to try and adjust a scope in those temperatures because the inside freezes up and shatters.

I have several pairs of safety glasses in my shooters bag along with the head sets. Two of the kids and my wife wear them, but me and the other three kids who shoot don't like them.

So I guess the short answer is that it is just my choice, maybe not a good one from some points of view, but still my choice.

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
I suspect that a fair number of people who are more or less neutral or moderately friendly toward guns would be horrified at the thought of allowing such a young child to handle a loaded gun under ANY circumstance.  In my opinion, it would be wise to keep such pictures strictly within strongly gun-friendly circles.  Many liberals would be fully capable of calling Child Protection services on the basis of such a picture.

Up here, by the time a kid hits kindergarden most of them have shot some kind of small animal with a 22 or even a 410.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Alaskan Shooter wrote:
My 16 year old son posted this picture of himself helping to teach my 6 year old how to shoot a 22. MYSpace removed the picture. Can anyone tell me what the problem is with this picture.

It's a very nice pic. (Except for the eye protection absence, a big mistake.)

If MySpace did remove it, what was the basis? Did they cite a reason? Maybe the pic got snagged in some automatic censoring process....

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

The only reason was "it violates MySpace policy"

I really love this forum, because you get great advice from a lot of like minded people. I know not everyone agrees with me on the no eye protection and I will think about it (at least during the summer month).

I just like the fact that people here are willing to speak up, and most are willing to listen and not take it personal. Thanks for the advice.

Yooper

imported post

Alaskan Shooter wrote:

I really love this forum, because you get great advice from a lot of like minded people. I know not everyone agrees with me on the no eye protection and I will think about it (at least during the summer month).

I just like the fact that people here are willing to speak up, and most are willing to listen and not take it personal. Thanks for the advice.

When shooting in the winter, I leave the safety glasses outside on the hood of my suburban when reloading. That way they don't fog/frost up going between the warm vehicle and the cold air outside.

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Alaskan Shooter wrote:

When shooting in the winter, I leave the safety glasses outside on the hood of my suburban when reloading.  That way they don't fog/frost up going between the warm vehicle and the cold air outside.

That sounds like good advice, thanks.

old dog

imported post

No question about it -- child abuse, straight-up. Whoever said children could be exposed to such concepts as personal freedom, self-reliance, responsibility? Why, they could grow up to be the kind of people who would tell a liberal government bureaucrat to go piss up a rope and we certainly can't have that. It is SO not part of the new paradigm.

Thank you Myspace for recognizing that free speech must be severely controlled.

Hendu024

imported post

Alaskan Shooter wrote:

I have a whole album on Myspace titled "Things that go BANG" with a bunch of hunting/target shooting pics and haven't had any problems with it. I wonder if the only reason was because there were little kids in your picture, which of course is ridiculous. Don't forget, Myspace is based out of Commiefornia.

aadvark

imported post

Myspace.com, and LOTS of other websites, and other Private Companies do not understand, nor do they appreciate the Culture in Alaska.

Unfortunately, there are many different places in this Country that would shriek in horror if they saw a Pistol, and two Rifles, in the hands of Children not more than 16 years old.

The picture does not bother me though, I shot Pistols and Rifles since I was 5 years old, and you are welcome to post this picture as many times as you want.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alaskan Shooter wrote:

I just read through the Terms & Conditions on the MySpace website.

The only thing I found that applies would be:

7.1 MySpace may reject, refuse to post or delete any Content for any or no reason...

So if you were to write "I would love to tell Myspace what to do with thier policy..." they could delete some words so that it says "I love Myspace".

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Alaskan Shooter wrote:

People do it because they care about you and yours...

I still have a hunch that the pic is not really violative of MySpace's policy, whatever it may be, about gun depictions. Could be some low-level clerk or some ninny anti or some automatic program flagged and removed the pic.

RogueWarrior

imported post

All I can say is that they have not removed any of my gun photo's and I now of several gun groups that show guns and things like that but that is my two cents worth

FarNorth

imported post

This picture of my wife has been on herFacebook page for quite a long time,I don't think they care over there. Maybe switching to Facebook would be the thing to do.