Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIA 1911s

Post imported post

Just thought I would ask for others opinions of the Rock Island Armory 1911s.

I know they wouldn't be high end, but if they are at least reliable, I think I may buy one.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Just thought I would ask for others opinions of the Rock Island Armory 1911s.

I know they wouldn't be high end, but if they are at least reliable, I think I may buy one.
    Sometimes they require a little tinkering, and don't expect a flawless finish.

I wouldn't carry it as a defense weapon until I had about 1000 rounds through it and had smoothed it out a little.

But after that, no problem. I haven't seen any catastrophic failures or the like. Just a lot of 'needs polishing.'
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

There may be some good info here:

http://1911talk.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=26

Post imported post

I've seen several fired and I've shot one myself. Don't expect great accuracy or reliability out of the box, but like with all 1911's, they can be easily and readily tweaked, and ammo and magazine selection will have much to do with the reliability and accuracy of the gun.

If I was on the market for a defensive handgun and I was on a budget, I'd probably get a used Glock instead. But they work, and if you're in search for a 1911 platform, they will give you tens of thousands of rounds of faithful service if you do your part.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Just looking for a shooter. I have a Springfield XD9 for carry.

Sounds like it may be worth the small price tag just for shooting some cast boolits and for some fun.

Post imported post

Love mine.
    (though I wish I had gotten the "combat" model with ambi-safety, rounded hammer and beaver tail grip safety.)
    Never had a FTF that wasn't mag related. Eats Hydra_shoks no problem. Hits where I point it, and has good fit and finish.

For me, a perfect work horse carry piece. (and I don;t have to worry about wiping it with a diaper evertime I pull it from the holster to keep it "pretty".

YMMV

Post imported post

Erus wrote:
    Love mine.
    (though I wish I had gotten the "combat" model with ambi-safety, rounded hammer and beaver tail grip safety.)
    Never had a FTF that wasn't mag related. Eats Hydra_shoks no problem. Hits where I point it, and has good fit and finish.

For me, a perfect work horse carry piece. (and I don;t have to worry about wiping it with a diaper evertime I pull it from the holster to keep it "pretty".
    I got the combat model mid last year (two years ago?), and I love it. The ambi-safety is really nice for a lefty.

The finish has (Serpa) holster marks on the slide, but that's the way I like it.

The only FTF I have had from it is when I was using some handloads I'd made, and that's because I had made them too long and/or chubby. I went back, re-sized them (thanks for letting me use your gear for that, Herohog!), and the re-made rounds worked perfectly.

Browning was a damn genius.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

So, is this price typical?

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911.aspx

Seems pretty fair to me document.write('[img]/images/emoticons/dude.gif[/img]');[img]images/emoticons/dude.gif[/img]

Post imported post

That's a bit high from what I've seen. Let me double check on Monday, I need to find some new screws for my grips. I seem to have lost them when I was moving.

Banned

Post imported post

Looks like the going price for a a1.
    I've got several mostly some of the first on the market, some have over 5k thru them, some less some more, all have been extremely reliable, I have only changed sites on one unit and did an ambi safety on another, as I practice shooting with both hands.
    I have quite a few 1911 platform units, from Colts to Taurus pt1911s/
    My usual daily carry is either a para slim hawg, or a Norinco 1911, pending on how i'm dressed and where I'm going

I believe for the $$ spent the RIA is a very viable pistol and can be extremely useful when used correctly.
    Good luck with your choice, and shooting.
    regards
    RJ

Post imported post

Well, if you know where to get em at a lower price, let me know.

Don't mind paying less than 400 for a 1911 that works.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Well, if you know where to get em at a lower price, let me know.

Don't mind paying less than 400 for a 1911 that works.
    Ouch, sorry. Didn't see you were in Utah. I usually buy form the local Farmer's Co-Operative.

Still, that's a bit for the basic 1911 (no beavertail, no rounded hammer, etc...).

I'd look elsewhere.

Post imported post

That's actually the lowest I have found so far, I've found many for about 380 or so.

And I'm actually in Texas right now.

Post imported post

All right. I'll check when I stop by the Rockingham Co-Op on Monday. Still can't believe I lost my grip screws.

Post imported post

I lost the striker spring guide for my XD when I was home on leave, lost it outside, in a pile of leaves.

Somehow I found it the next day, which is good because when I ordered the replacement from Xdguys, it took several months to get to me.

Of course, they included a free aluminum one for the trouble. Can't help but feel like I still somehow got screwed.

Post imported post

Centerfire usually has RIAs pretty cheap. They used to have a $299 model. I don't see it listed atm, but keep an eye open... I have handled quite a number of them. Rough around the edges, but a cheap, functional gun they are.

But for a few hundred more, I got my Taurus. Well worth it, IMO. I feel like I got a Kimber for half-price.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Post imported post

It is, of course, what do you want? Its a GI .45. I bought a RIA 1911 GI type about a year ago. I have run about 500 rounds through it. The only problem was with after market magazines. I have shot in the ten ring at 25 yds. A friend of mine has shot in the ten ring at 25 yds. My living room is 15ft. across. At the price listed above I will buy another one.

Post imported post

fetch wrote:
    It is, of course, what do you want? Its a GI .45. I bought a RIA 1911 GI type about a year ago. I have run about 500 rounds through it. The only problem was with after market magazines. I have shot in the ten ring at 25 yds. A friend of mine has shot in the ten ring at 25 yds. My living room is 15ft. across. At the price listed above I will buy another one.
    Really? I have a Chip McCormick 8 rounder, and it almost works better than the factory mag.

I also had the opportunity to try a vintage WW2 magazine, and it fit like a dream. :celebrate

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    fetch wrote:
    Really? I have a Chip McCormick 8 rounder, and it almost works better than the factory mag.

I also had the opportunity to try a vintage WW2 magazine, and it fit like a dream. :celebrate
    Two words: Wilson Combat.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    That's actually the lowest I have found so far, I've found many for about 380 or so.

And I'm actually in Texas right now.
    Holy crap, they wanted $460 for them! :what:

I have NO idea why they went up in price so much....

Post imported post

Abno, all handguns are still pretty pricey after the election.

$359 is very reasonable for an A1. My RIA Tactical FS was about $420, and that was still a very fair price.

FWIW, I think RIAs are the best deal in 1911s available. They're not fancy, but theyre not supposed to be. They're a functional gun, and I have no reservations about using mine as an EDC.

Also, I prefer Golden Sabres for it as they are the closest in shape to the FMJ the 1911 was designed for. No FTFs to date.

Post imported post

I have the 5" tacticle RIA. I carried it for about six months until I got my Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor. I love my Rocky and plan on using it as a project gun. I have scratches all over it from half year I carried it, so the finish does leave a little to be desired. At 50 yards it shoots center mass all day long. You really can't ask for much more from a 45 that costs less than 500 bones. BTW their customer service is fantastic. I bought it used from a friend of mine who told me after about 100 rds the front sight fell off. He called the boys in Nevada and they saidsend it back. He did and they fixed it lickedy split and sent it back with a reliability job for his hassle. Iam going to drop abouta grand into it next year. I will post on it's progress.

Post imported post

Tex, I'm looking forward to that update!!

I love seeing what people have done with their Rocks

Post imported post

TexasShooter wrote:
    I have the 5" tacticle RIA.

BTW their customer service is fantastic.
    Yep. I called Armscor on Tuesday, got ahold of someone, said "Hi, I need some new grip screws for your RIA 1911."

They guy said "Is that all you need?"

"Yep!"

"All right well, gimme your address, and I'll get them out to you."

They just came in today. :celebrate

Post imported post

I bought one a couple of years ago. I paid $349 when I bought mine. IT has been a great gun for the money. It took a while of shooting ball before it would feed hollow points. I carry mine every day. The finish started to wear because of the Fobus holster. I did change the grips out and put Hogue grips on mine. I recommend the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast