• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RIA 1911s

thx997303

imported post

Just thought I would ask for others opinions of the Rock Island Armory 1911s.

I know they wouldn't be high end, but if they are at least reliable, I think I may buy one.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Just thought I would ask for others opinions of the Rock Island Armory 1911s.

I know they wouldn't be high end, but if they are at least reliable, I think I may buy one.
Sometimes they require a little tinkering, and don't expect a flawless finish.

I wouldn't carry it as a defense weapon until I had about 1000 rounds through it and had smoothed it out a little.

But after that, no problem. I haven't seen any catastrophic failures or the like. Just a lot of 'needs polishing.'

Michigander

imported post

I've seen several fired and I've shot one myself. Don't expect great accuracy or reliability out of the box, but like with all 1911's, they can be easily and readily tweaked, and ammo and magazine selection will have much to do with the reliability and accuracy of the gun.

If I was on the market for a defensive handgun and I was on a budget, I'd probably get a used Glock instead. But they work, and if you're in search for a 1911 platform, they will give you tens of thousands of rounds of faithful service if you do your part.

thx997303

imported post

Just looking for a shooter. I have a Springfield XD9 for carry.

Sounds like it may be worth the small price tag just for shooting some cast boolits and for some fun.

Erus

imported post

Love mine.
(though I wish I had gotten the "combat" model with ambi-safety, rounded hammer and beaver tail grip safety.)
Never had a FTF that wasn't mag related. Eats Hydra_shoks no problem. Hits where I point it, and has good fit and finish.

For me, a perfect work horse carry piece. (and I don;t have to worry about wiping it with a diaper evertime I pull it from the holster to keep it "pretty".

YMMV

AbNo

imported post

Erus wrote:
Love mine.
(though I wish I had gotten the "combat" model with ambi-safety, rounded hammer and beaver tail grip safety.)
Never had a FTF that wasn't mag related. Eats Hydra_shoks no problem. Hits where I point it, and has good fit and finish.

For me, a perfect work horse carry piece. (and I don;t have to worry about wiping it with a diaper evertime I pull it from the holster to keep it "pretty".
I got the combat model mid last year (two years ago?), and I love it. The ambi-safety is really nice for a lefty. :)

The finish has (Serpa) holster marks on the slide, but that's the way I like it.

The only FTF I have had from it is when I was using some handloads I'd made, and that's because I had made them too long and/or chubby. I went back, re-sized them (thanks for letting me use your gear for that, Herohog!), and the re-made rounds worked perfectly.

Browning was a damn genius. :cool:

thx997303

imported post

So, is this price typical?

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911.aspx

Seems pretty fair to me document.write('/images/emoticons/dude.gif');
dude.gif

AbNo

imported post

That's a bit high from what I've seen. Let me double check on Monday, I need to find some new screws for my grips. I seem to have lost them when I was moving. :uhoh:

RJ

Banned
imported post

Looks like the going price for a a1.
I've got several mostly some of the first on the market, some have over 5k thru them, some less some more, all have been extremely reliable, I have only changed sites on one unit and did an ambi safety on another, as I practice shooting with both hands.
I have quite a few 1911 platform units, from Colts to Taurus pt1911s/
My usual daily carry is either a para slim hawg, or a Norinco 1911, pending on how i'm dressed and where I'm going

I believe for the $$ spent the RIA is a very viable pistol and can be extremely useful when used correctly.
Good luck with your choice, and shooting.
regards
RJ

thx997303

imported post

Well, if you know where to get em at a lower price, let me know.

Don't mind paying less than 400 for a 1911 that works.

AbNo

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Well, if you know where to get em at a lower price, let me know.

Don't mind paying less than 400 for a 1911 that works.
Ouch, sorry. Didn't see you were in Utah. I usually buy form the local Farmer's Co-Operative.

Still, that's a bit for the basic 1911 (no beavertail, no rounded hammer, etc...).

I'd look elsewhere.

thx997303

imported post

That's actually the lowest I have found so far, I've found many for about 380 or so.

And I'm actually in Texas right now.

thx997303

imported post

I lost the striker spring guide for my XD when I was home on leave, lost it outside, in a pile of leaves.

Somehow I found it the next day, which is good because when I ordered the replacement from Xdguys, it took several months to get to me.

Of course, they included a free aluminum one for the trouble. Can't help but feel like I still somehow got screwed.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Centerfire usually has RIAs pretty cheap. They used to have a $299 model. I don't see it listed atm, but keep an eye open... I have handled quite a number of them. Rough around the edges, but a cheap, functional gun they are.

But for a few hundred more, I got my Taurus. Well worth it, IMO. I feel like I got a Kimber for half-price.

fetch

imported post

It is, of course, what do you want? Its a GI .45. I bought a RIA 1911 GI type about a year ago. I have run about 500 rounds through it. The only problem was with after market magazines. I have shot in the ten ring at 25 yds. A friend of mine has shot in the ten ring at 25 yds. My living room is 15ft. across. At the price listed above I will buy another one.

AbNo

imported post

fetch wrote:
It is, of course, what do you want? Its a GI .45. I bought a RIA 1911 GI type about a year ago. I have run about 500 rounds through it. The only problem was with after market magazines. I have shot in the ten ring at 25 yds. A friend of mine has shot in the ten ring at 25 yds. My living room is 15ft. across. At the price listed above I will buy another one.
Really? I have a Chip McCormick 8 rounder, and it almost works better than the factory mag.

I also had the opportunity to try a vintage WW2 magazine, and it fit like a dream. :celebrate

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
fetch wrote:
Really? I have a Chip McCormick 8 rounder, and it almost works better than the factory mag.

I also had the opportunity to try a vintage WW2 magazine, and it fit like a dream. :celebrate
Two words: Wilson Combat.

AbNo

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
That's actually the lowest I have found so far, I've found many for about 380 or so.

And I'm actually in Texas right now.
Holy crap, they wanted $460 for them! :what:

I have NO idea why they went up in price so much.... :uhoh: