• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense

FrankC

imported post

Never lose sight of the fact that you weren't there but still love talking about it as if you were as opposed to just being a blowhard.

His wife testifying against him is an obvious conflict of interest. Maybe you are right and it was a bad shoot hank and maybe you are wrong and he would have been beaten to death otherwise. Either way very few of the facts are present and only people who were present for the shooting know what really happened.

Tomahawk

imported post

Tomahawk's Postulateof Civilian Self Defense:

While unarmed, do not steal, kill, assault, or rape, lest you get shot by an armed man. In fact, don't do while armed, either.

FrankC

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Tomahawk's Postulate of Civilian Self Defense:

While unarmed, do not steal, kill, assault, or rape, lest you get shot by an armed man. In fact, don't do while armed, either.

Lmao, I like it!

D_Weezy

imported post

Investigation Continues Into Inmate DeathPosted: 11:55 am EDT September 23, 2008Updated: 1:54 pm EDT September 23, 2008
An inmate killed at Belmont Correctional Institute was serving a four-year sentence on a gross sexual imposition charge out of Cuyahoga County.The investigation continues into exactly what led up to the death of 47-year-old Harry Amick.A news release from the Ohio State Highway Patrol in Columbus confirms Amick died after another inmate choked him to death last week.A State Patrol representative said they’re still waiting on the Belmont County coroner to determine a final cause of death.

This was ruled self defense. Don't want to go into details, Big Brother is watching.

My point is, someone does not need a weapon to kill you.

buster81

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Tomahawk's Postulateof Civilian Self Defense:

I like TPCSD very much.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Here's a minor case of a breaking and entering by a couple of 17-year-old goofballs.

But the reason is was minor is that the quick-to-action dad performed in exemplary fashion to protect his kids.

And he was aware of HankT's Postulateof Civilian Self-Defense (HPCSD):

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

The dad DID take care of business,ending thethreat, but without shootingany unarmed persons. The final resultwas optimal,since the everyone is safe and perpetrators are now in custody and will be dealt with by society's criminal justice system.

This is yet another case which fully supportsHPCSD.This conceptualization is truly a marvel for modern times!

2 teen burglars caught in Chandler home

Mike Sakal, Tribune

September 2, 2009

A 13-year-old Chandler boy who was home alone escaped from his house to have a neighbor call police after two burglars forced their way inside on Wednesday. The boy's father eventually apprehended one of the burglars at gunpoint.

Police responded to the burglary about 7:30 a.m. in the 800 block of West Elgin Street and arrested the suspects, two 17-year-old boys, according to police.

The two boys had knocked on the door of the home, but since the 13-year-old inside said he didn't know them, he did not answer the door. When they forced their way inside through the back door, the boy ran to a neighbor's house. After the neighbor called police, the father arrived and was told two burglars were inside the house.

The father went inside, got his gun and apprehended one of the boys, police said. The other boy jumped from a second-floor window of the home and later was caught by police.

The names of the two suspects were not immediately available.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/143880

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

HankT wrote:

But is it a good strategy to hold a gun on unarmed teenagers criminals? Hypothetically if the teenagers tried to overpower him or take his gun away then he runs afoul of your postulate.

FrankC

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Tomahawk's Postulate of Civilian Self Defense:

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
Here's a minor case of a breaking and entering by a couple of 17-year-old goofballs.

But the reason is was minor is that the quick-to-action dad performed in exemplary fashion to protect his kids.

The dad DID take care of business,ending thethreat, but without shootingany unarmed persons. The final resultwas optimal,since the everyone is safe and perpetrators are now in custody and will be dealt with by society's criminal justice system.

This is yet another case which fully supportsHPCSD.This conceptualization is truly a marvel for modern times!

2 teen burglars caught in Chandler home

Mike Sakal, Tribune

September 2, 2009

A 13-year-old Chandler boy who was home alone escaped from his house to have a neighbor call police after two burglars forced their way inside on Wednesday. The boy's father eventually apprehended one of the burglars at gunpoint.

Police responded to the burglary about 7:30 a.m. in the 800 block of West Elgin Street and arrested the suspects, two 17-year-old boys, according to police.

The two boys had knocked on the door of the home, but since the 13-year-old inside said he didn't know them, he did not answer the door. When they forced their way inside through the back door, the boy ran to a neighbor's house. After the neighbor called police, the father arrived and was told two burglars were inside the house.

The father went inside, got his gun and apprehended one of the boys, police said. The other boy jumped from a second-floor window of the home and later was caught by police.

The names of the two suspects were not immediately available.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/143880
LOL this case was a clusterfrack. Entering your own home UNARMED when there are criminals inside who may or may not be a deadly threat is a BAD IDEA. At this point he wasn't even protecting his "kids" - since his KID was already out of the house.

So easy to call them "goofballs" now, when they forced entry and the one who was not apprehended immediately may have had a weapon he ditched, before being taken into custody.

No case of violent forced entry is a "minor" case. Train that 13 year old to get the lead out.

:banghead:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AK_Amerine wrote:
HankT wrote:

But is it a good strategy to hold a gun on unarmed teenagers criminals?
No.

AK_Amerine wrote:
Hypothetically if the teenagers tried to overpower him or take his gun away then he runs afoul of your postulate.
Huh?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

HankT wrote:
AK_Amerine wrote:
HankT wrote:

But is it a good strategy to hold a gun on unarmed teenagers criminals?
No.

AK_Amerine wrote:
Hypothetically if the teenagers tried to overpower him or take his gun away then he runs afoul of your postulate.
Huh?
To the first part, if no then why do you say he acted in exemplary fashion. That seems to be a contradiction.

To the second part; holding someone at bay with a firearm can have several results. We see 2 in this case, 1 perpetrator surrenders, the other ran away. The hypothetical third case I suggest is that a criminal may fight his way out, possibly trying to disarm the good guy. Which if the good guy uses his firearm to defend himself would run counter to the HankT postulate.

I admire the man in the case for what he did, but I would not do what he did if I were in his shoes unless a life were at stake and apparently none were from the posted report.

IanB

imported post

By the way guys, it looks like the super secretVA2A meeting that was supposed to go down tonight in Chantilly has been pushed back to tomorrow night. I'm still waiting for responces from several of the super secret attendees who may or may not be posting on this thread. You know who you are...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
By the way guys, it looks like the super secretVA2A meeting that was supposed to go down tonight in Chantilly has been pushed back to tomorrow night. I'm still waiting for responces from several of the super secret attendees who may or may not be posting on this thread. You know who you are...

Hey, NSL, can I still join your forum?

I got a copy of your PM but it was wayyyy after the initial applications for membership were made:

_____Original Message_____
Date: 2008-01-xx
Subject:

Sent to:
[distribution list of "cool" OCDO members]

I am sending this email to those of you in VA that are either active in pro 2A activism, have a high post count on OCDO, or I've met you before somewhere and thought to include you.

I have started a group called "Virginia 2A" on Google. This group is private and only open to members; meaning only members can see the group, read its messages, or post messages. I envision this as a place where private discussion takes place on a mass scale kind of like OCDO, but with the privacy that prevents people like Jim solo from "reading our thoughts".

You will need a google email account to use this group, if you don't have one yet what are you waiting for?

Members can email the group email address and it forwards the email to ALL members at once. You can tweek your membership settings to only recieve messages by logging into the group web page, abridged emails (one per day, a summary), digest (25 messages per email), or one email per message.

I have the group set up so that anyone can request membership, but all members must be approved. You can join the group at the below address:

http://groups.google.com/group/va2a

-NSL

bohdi

imported post

Not to throw another wrench in your fine postulation, but perhaps the father didn't shoot the perps due to a LEO presence.

An incomplete timeline allows for this hole in your postulate. Therefore until a timeline is applied, your postulate does not apply. You don't know that he didn't chose to shoot because it's not a good idea, and you can't prove that either.

IanB

imported post

HankT wrote:

I got a copy of your PM but it was wayyyy after the initial applications for membership were made:
Ohh Noes! HankT knows about our once secret but now declassified group! Whatever will we do? Ohh, I have an idea... Let's make a NEW one!

But on a serious note, Hank... you did see the group was for VA peeps, right? I'd invite ya but you're all the way up there in Solucient land (AKA Lincroft, NJ) hangin out with Reuters....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
HankT wrote:

Ohh Noes! HankT knows about our once secret but now declassified group! Whatever will we do? Ohh, I have an idea... Let's make a NEW one!

But on a serious note, Hank... you did see the group was for VA peeps, right? I'd invite ya but you're all the way up there in Solucient land (AKA Lincroft, NJ) hangin out with Reuters....

Awww, pshaw, NSL. Not everyone on the invite list was from VA....

C'mon. Send me an invite. Send it via via e-mail or PM...

I know that I would be overwhelmed by all the cool guy's net rhetoric skillz if I got into VA2A....but it would be worth it.

IanB

imported post

I guess you didn't read my orig invite email, you have to have a GMAIL account. Yahoo don't kut duh muhstaad.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I guess you didn't read my orig invite email, you have to have a GMAIL account. Yahoo don't kut duh muhstaad.

I have Google registration.

To join aGoogle Group, one needs a Google registration and not necessarily a g-mail e-mail account.

C'mon, NSL.

I would be outnumbered, ....what....28 to 1....?