• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Living less than 100 feet from school...

Cprstilgar

imported post

I live less than 100 feet from a schoolin an area our local LEO's call "The wild west". What are the laws if you live less than 100 feet from a school.... Out of luck to carry on property still? Plus we also have a neighbor who has a buddy over who brings her dog who has already caused the death of one of our cats... Been polite but wearing thin.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Technically private property is still exempt, but not the sidewalk as it is subject to a public easement and thus makes it not private property.

Technically 626.9 does not have a self defense exemption except if you have a restraining order against a person.

Now, my lawyer says that in California law the right to self defense is absolute and supersedes 626.9, but he stopped when I mentioned that 626.9 doesn't have a self-defense exemption so you may not be charged with defending yourself, but might be charged with possession of a firearm, and since it was loaded it would be a felony instead of a wobbler.

I suggest you apply for a CCW and seek permission from the schools superintendent as allowed exemptions to 626.9. If those options fail then seek a restraining order against the person and their dog.

A neat little bit of fun, having a restraining order exempts you from 12025 as well.

coolusername2007

imported post

Do the above good suggestions plus this...get some sort of documentation (ie police crime report for your neighborhood) and include this 'evidence' in your letter to the school super. Then I would arrange an in person meeting, not a phone call or letter, with your local representatives (both state and federal)andto them explain how your rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit are being threatened and your 2A right is being infringed upon. When meeting in person with your representatives be sure to include a cover letter to them with copies of the letter and evidence you sent to the school super. Then as your last step you tell them you want them to make sure the school super grants your exemption request. It's a lot of work, but the payoff would be worth it. Good luck.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

I suppose the superintendent letter is worth a try, but be prepared to be denied your right to life, and be contacted by the local LEOs.

If they really cared about protecting human life, they would lead a repeal of 626.9 and all other barriers to effective self-defense. Instead, the status quo of chaos, hostility, and murder is maintained.

demnogis

imported post

We can't allow the subjects of this Great State full privileges to self defense... It would render our Military Police useless.

N6ATF wrote:
I suppose the superintendent letter is worth a try, but be prepared to be denied your right to life, and be contacted by the local LEOs.

If they really cared about protecting human life, they would lead a repeal of 626.9 and all other barriers to effective self-defense. Instead, the status quo of chaos, hostility, and murder is maintained.