Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Does Open Carry Work With Revolvers?

Post imported post

I have been reading the posts about open carry experiences and the correct way to do it from your vehicle, etc.

But how does this apply to revolvers? I normally carry a S&W 642 in a Blackhawk security holster strong side. When I remove the gun from the locked case in the car, I am assuming I have to load it at that time and the rounds must be kept separately in the locked case.

Can you elaborate on open carry using a wheelgun?

Thanks

FoggyPete

Post imported post

Rounds can be in the same case, just not in the gun.

I would take the case completely out of the car, remove the gun from the case, load the gun, then put it in your holster.

When returning to the car, remove the case from the car, remove the gun from the holster, remove the rounds, and place the rounds and gun in the case, close the case and place it back in the vehicle.

Basically the same carry as other guns...except it's more of a pain to load and unload.

Myself, I only put a magazine in my Glock, but never actually put a round in the chamber...just quicker and easier.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Post imported post

Oh and welcome to the website

Also, when I remove my case from my car, I actually set it on the ground to open and pull my gun out. I probably wouldn't need to with a semi-auto that I could probably just crack the case open and pull it out....but I just want to be safe and make sure people see that it's completely out of the car. So assuming you'll want to set your case down while you load your gun, make sure you set it on the ground...not on your vehicle.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

With a closed case containing an unloaded weapon in your hands you have violated ss 941.23. From the annotations

The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
    State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).
    http://www.vimeo.com/6115265

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    With a closed case containing an unloaded weapon in your hands you have violated ss 941.23. From the annotations

The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
    Doug , I have asked you this last week and I don't think you answered. Do you know of any cases whare a person was ticketed or convicted for carrying a gun in a guncase?

I am not trying to be rude.

Banned

Post imported post

Nor am I trying to be rude.

No, I don't know of such an instance. Neither do I know what an instance, or a hundred, like that signify.

Please look into the difficulties in the statement 'there are no black swans'. It is a notorious philosophical problem. It bears the same 'fact pattern' as 'no carriers of cased weapons have been cited'.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

Hillmann wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

Doug , I have asked you this last week and I don't think you answered. Do you know of any cases whare a person was ticketed or convicted for carrying a gun in a guncase?

I am not trying to be rude.
    I don't think it matters. The fact is that you certainly COULD be cited.

I think we should always tell it like it is. Sugar coating things isn't going to get people riled enough to do something about the idiotic laws in Wisconsin.

R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

I will agree with you that it is the law but every time someone new asks a simular question as theOP you seam to be trying to scare them off by telling them no mater what they do they will be in violation of the law and ticketed or arrested.

Post imported post

Hillmann wrote:
    I will agree with you that it is the law but every time someone new asks a simular question as theOP you seam to be trying to scare them off by telling them no mater what they do they will be in violation of the law and ticketed or arrested.

Scare them off? No, definitely not!

Scare them into action? That'll work.

Instead of using fear tactics like the Brady campaign that are founded on lies we're just telling the truth. What each individual takes out of it is up to them. Besides, if someone really wants to OC, the truth won't scare them off IMO.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Banned

Post imported post

Hillmann wrote:
    I will agree with you that it is the law but every time someone new asks a simular[sic] question as theOP you seam[sic] to be trying to scare them off by telling them no mater[sic] what they do they will be in violation of the law and [may be] ticketed or arrested.
    There, fixed it for you. You're welcome.

If they're scared off by the truth then they may be too lily-livered for battling for freedom.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Hillmann wrote:
    I will agree with you that it is the law but every time someone new asks a simular[sic] question as theOP you seam[sic] to be trying to scare them off by telling them no mater[sic] what they do they will be in violation of the law and [may be] ticketed or arrested.

If they're scared off by the truth then they may be too lily-livered for battling for freedom.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.
    What is [sic]?

Post imported post

Hillmann wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Hillmann wrote:

What is [sic]?

Your google-fu is weak grasshopper......
    Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", "as such", or "in such a manner". In writing, it is placed within square brackets and usually italicized – [sic] – to indicate that an incorrect or unusualspelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error.[1][/suP]
    Doug is simply picking on you for spelling errors.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Hillmann wrote:

I agree with Hillmann, and I think his text was just fine. I will make a quick edit to one of yours (yes we know, it was not yours...)...

Good people, either we are equal or we are not.

Carry On!

Banned

Post imported post

Square brackets enclose editor's comments. In modern English usage sic may mean 'as written'. Foreign words, qua foreign words, might be italicized. 'Sic' is quite common in English and, thus, I did not mark it a foreign. Kind'a like 'et cetera'.

I'm 'picking' on no one. That is for school yard bullies and not for civil discourse. I do believe that there are other sorts of bullies here.

Banned

Post imported post

:what:Where?

Banned

Post imported post

AaronS wrote:
    (yes we know, it was not yours...)...
    Really? I doubt you know any such thing.

I claim "Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth." in it entirety and defy you to find a use preceding my first use.

Post imported post

Back to the original post. The only thing that I can think of that makes a wheel gun harder to OC is keeping proper muzzle control when unloading in a parking lot before getting into a vehicle. With an auto it is easy to keep the muzzle pointed down to unload but with some revolvers the only way to unload is to point the muzzle upand cycle the cylinder to unload it one round at a time. Although I assume with most modern revolvers it would be easier to just remove the entire cylinder.

And Doug I hope my spelling is better on this post.

If not feel free to point out my errors.

Banned

Post imported post

Muzzle down risks ricochet on ND. See my video http://www.vimeo.com/6115265

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Muzzle down risks ricochet on ND. See my video http://www.vimeo.com/6115265
    If you don't load and unload muzzle down how do you do it?

I don't have a sound card so I can't get much out of your viedo.

Banned

Post imported post

45 degrees up from horizontal.

The probability of a random and un-aimed bullet hitting a specified target is proportional to the area of the target over the area of the semi-sphere of radius equal to the gun to target range, or in the case of the ricochet at your feet, the hard surface to you.

At a mile range the ratio is on the order of a million to one depending on the assumptions made. For a ricochet from four feet away and that is assumed to rebound right back up its path the calculations are like;

You the target has 2' x 6' = 12 feet^2. A sphere of radius four feet has area roughly 200 feet^2. The hemisphere (hemi = half) above ground is 100 feet^2 for a probability of 1 in 8 or 12.5%, id est, on the order of 1 in 10.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

A bullet hitting the ground will scrub much of its energy off before it raises again to hit something. Even a shallow angle ricochet into the grass will scrub much of the velocity, energy and ability to cause damage or injury. Obviously, the more shallow the angle, the more velocity maintained. A bullet sent up at a 45 degree angle will have significant energy when it comes back down and a much higher probability of inflicting injury and/or damage if it were to strike something. If you insist on pointing your muzzle up, the safest direction is straight up vertical. The only velocity the round will have is from gravity as it falls back down. Any variance from vertical and it will maintain some amount of forward velocity it achieved when it was fired from the firearm. You will be held liable for whatever it hits or injures. A steep angle down towards/under your own vehicle will have little chance of seriously damaging your vehicle should you be so careless as to cause a ND. There is little chance of anything coming back to strike yourself.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

FoggyPete wrote:
    I have been reading the posts about open carry experiences and the correct way to do it from your vehicle, etc.

But how does this apply to revolvers? I normally carry a S&W 642 in a Blackhawk security holster strong side. When I remove the gun from the locked case in the car, I am assuming I have to load it at that time and the rounds must be kept separately in the locked case.

Can you elaborate on open carry using a wheelgun?
    You should not be removing it from Inside of your car. It is considered concealed in the passenger compartment. Keep your case in the trunk. Locking the caseis unnecessary. No statute requires a case to be locked in WI and it affords you no extra credit in compliance with any statute. As it was mentioned, remove your case completely from the vehicle before opening it and you are correct that the rounds may be in the same case. I use a speedloader to load and unload my revolver cylinder. Muzzle down to load and muzzle up to unload. Muzzle down to open or close the cylinder.

Banned

Post imported post

Momentum is conserved in an elastic collision. V1 = |V2|

In an inelastic plastic collision the energy of deformation of the bodies is lost. Do you know how much energy it takes to deform a bullet? You bet your life on your 'physics'.

I spent my career betting my life and all those around me on my trained and practiced physics. I might have occasionally erred but never so unsafely as your assumptions are.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    45 degrees up from horizontal.

I would agree unless we could point it straight up without putting it over our heads and getting a bunch of attention. If it wasn't illegal to load in the car while sitting down that would probably be feasible.

A bullet fired straight up will fall down at terminal velocity. A bullet fired at a 45 degree angle can and has killed miles away. The Mythbusters actually did this one and were able to track down someone who got shot when someone miles away shot a gun into the air.

I agree with you about the probabilities, but I think that straight up where feasible would be better.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Banned

Post imported post

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode50 unfortunately the trail ends there. Maybe they found a fatality but that is one out of how many air shots?

I like the calculus exercise on-line somewhere making the argument that a 5.56 terminal velocity is IIRC 390 fps - a good thump, maybe a wound but not likely fatal. Maybe I'll post it if I stumble across it someday. Right now it'd just be more pearl before swine. Pearl jam shot into the air comes to Earth I know not where.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast