• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Does Open Carry Work With Revolvers?

FoggyPete

imported post

I have been reading the posts about open carry experiences and the correct way to do it from your vehicle, etc.

But how does this apply to revolvers? I normally carry a S&W 642 in a Blackhawk security holster strong side. When I remove the gun from the locked case in the car, I am assuming I have to load it at that time and the rounds must be kept separately in the locked case.

Can you elaborate on open carry using a wheelgun?

Thanks

FoggyPete

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rounds can be in the same case, just not in the gun.

I would take the case completely out of the car, remove the gun from the case, load the gun, then put it in your holster.

When returning to the car, remove the case from the car, remove the gun from the holster, remove the rounds, and place the rounds and gun in the case, close the case and place it back in the vehicle.

Basically the same carry as other guns...except it's more of a pain to load and unload.

Myself, I only put a magazine in my Glock, but never actually put a round in the chamber...just quicker and easier.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Oh and welcome to the website :)

Also, when I remove my case from my car, I actually set it on the ground to open and pull my gun out. I probably wouldn't need to with a semi-auto that I could probably just crack the case open and pull it out....but I just want to be safe and make sure people see that it's completely out of the car. So assuming you'll want to set your case down while you load your gun, make sure you set it on the ground...not on your vehicle.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

With a closed case containing an unloaded weapon in your hands you have violated ss 941.23. From the annotations

The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).
http://www.vimeo.com/6115265

Hillmann

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
With a closed case containing an unloaded weapon in your hands you have violated ss 941.23. From the annotations

The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.

Doug , I have asked you this last week and I don't think you answered. Do you know of any cases whare a person was ticketed or convicted for carrying a gun in a guncase?

I am not trying to be rude.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Nor am I trying to be rude.

No, I don't know of such an instance. Neither do I know what an instance, or a hundred, like that signify.

Please look into the difficulties in the statement 'there are no black swans'. It is a notorious philosophical problem. It bears the same 'fact pattern' as 'no carriers of cased weapons have been cited'.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Doug , I have asked you this last week and I don't think you answered. Do you know of any cases whare a person was ticketed or convicted for carrying a gun in a guncase?

I am not trying to be rude.
I don't think it matters. The fact is that you certainly COULD be cited.

I think we should always tell it like it is. Sugar coating things isn't going to get people riled enough to do something about the idiotic laws in Wisconsin.

Hillmann

imported post

I will agree with you that it is the law but every time someone new asks a simular question as theOP you seam to be trying to scare them off by telling them no mater what they do they will be in violation of the law and ticketed or arrested.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
I will agree with you that it is the law but every time someone new asks a simular question as theOP you seam to be trying to scare them off by telling them no mater what they do they will be in violation of the law and ticketed or arrested.

Scare them off? No, definitely not!

Scare them into action? That'll work.

Instead of using fear tactics like the Brady campaign that are founded on lies we're just telling the truth. What each individual takes out of it is up to them. Besides, if someone really wants to OC, the truth won't scare them off IMO.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
I will agree with you that it is the law but every time someone new asks a simular[sic] question as theOP you seam[sic] to be trying to scare them off by telling them no mater[sic] what they do they will be in violation of the law and [may be] ticketed or arrested.
There, fixed it for you. You're welcome.

If they're scared off by the truth then they may be too lily-livered for battling for freedom.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

Hillmann

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
I will agree with you that it is the law but every time someone new asks a simular[sic] question as theOP you seam[sic] to be trying to scare them off by telling them no mater[sic] what they do they will be in violation of the law and [may be] ticketed or arrested.

If they're scared off by the truth then they may be too lily-livered for battling for freedom.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

What is [sic]?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Hillmann wrote:

What is [sic]?

Your google-fu is weak grasshopper......;)
Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", "as such", or "in such a manner". In writing, it is placed within square brackets and usually italicized – [sic] – to indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error.[1][/suP]

Doug is simply picking on you for spelling errors.

AaronS

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Hillmann wrote:

I agree with Hillmann, and I think his text was just fine. I will make a quick edit to one of yours (yes we know, it was not yours...)...

Good people, either we are equal or we are not.

Carry On!

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Square brackets enclose editor's comments. In modern English usage sic may mean 'as written'. Foreign words, qua foreign words, might be italicized. 'Sic' is quite common in English and, thus, I did not mark it a foreign. Kind'a like 'et cetera'.

I'm 'picking' on no one. That is for school yard bullies and not for civil discourse. I do believe that there are other sorts of bullies here.

Hillmann

imported post

Back to the original post. The only thing that I can think of that makes a wheel gun harder to OC is keeping proper muzzle control when unloading in a parking lot before getting into a vehicle. With an auto it is easy to keep the muzzle pointed down to unload but with some revolvers the only way to unload is to point the muzzle upand cycle the cylinder to unload it one round at a time. Although I assume with most modern revolvers it would be easier to just remove the entire cylinder.

And Doug I hope my spelling is better on this post.:D

If not feel free to point out my errors.:D

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

45 degrees up from horizontal.

The probability of a random and un-aimed bullet hitting a specified target is proportional to the area of the target over the area of the semi-sphere of radius equal to the gun to target range, or in the case of the ricochet at your feet, the hard surface to you.

At a mile range the ratio is on the order of a million to one depending on the assumptions made. For a ricochet from four feet away and that is assumed to rebound right back up its path the calculations are like;

You the target has 2' x 6' = 12 feet^2. A sphere of radius four feet has area roughly 200 feet^2. The hemisphere (hemi = half) above ground is 100 feet^2 for a probability of 1 in 8 or 12.5%, id est, on the order of 1 in 10.