• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HUNTING IN NY QUESTION

MICKEYMALT77

imported post

I grew up in NY where I held a CWP, I moved to SC in 05 and have held a CWP here since then. I'm going back to NY for hunting season , My brother holds a CWP. My question is this if I'm hunting on HIS PROPERTY and dont leave HIS PROPERTY with the gun.can I leagally carry and hunt with a pistol?? I know I can't leagally take my guns there due to BS recp:cuss: laws, but he does own pistols and I would be using his.

WheelGun

imported post

No.

In New York State, you are required to be a Pistol License holder and have thehandgun in question registered to you in order to simply touch the handgun.

NO ONE CAN LEND YOU A HANDGUN IN NEW YORK!!

Scenarios:

1) You cannot touch a handgun for the purposes of selecting one for purchase unless you show the store clerk your License.

2) Two licensed shooters standing side by side at a range cannot exchange handguns for the purpose of target practice with each other's guns.

3) I cannot let an unlicensed person come over my house and hold the handguns licensed to me.

4) This also goes for unlicensed family members, even inMY own home.

By the way, in New York it's called a License to Carry.

MICKEYMALT77

imported post

Thanks for the information!! Now I know why I CANT STAND The state of NY!!! It SUCK'S and I feel sorry for all that live there..

WheelGun

imported post

No, New York does not 'SUCK!!!!'

It just sucks at the bottom. (Downstate)

In the county that I live, once you have a Pistol License (which are not that terribly difficult to get if you are a law abiding person) they are issued with no restrictions (except those that apply pretty much nation-wide such as schools).

We also are surrounded by hundreds of thousands of acres of state forest, which are criss-crossed by hiking trails and other recreation.

My land is within the NYC watershed, which means that I know that myself, my neighbors and local businesses have to comply with the strictest environmental standards in the nation.

This may not be a comfort to someone who wants to open a junk yard or a refinery, but knowing that my children and future generations can drink clean water is why I moved here.

New York is one of the most popular tourist destinations on the planet, not just New York City. From Niagra Falls to the gorges of the parks near Ithaca, to the Catskills and Adirondacks.

No, it does not suck. We just have rules we must comply with.

For SUCK, see New Jersey, Maryland, DC or NYC.

redlegagent

imported post

Speaking of downstate. I watched a national geographic special about large predatory cats on the loose south of you Wheelgun. I believe in was in Rockland county or there abouts. The teams of experts investigated multiple sightings and found tracks of what they deduced to be one or more leopards. They have been seen in local communities and , I believe, living in the local state forest area. Due to large area they couldn't find them but they found other evidence to prove they were there. They believe they were exotic pets that got free and no one reported them. Leave it to NY, they regulate everything else but exotic pets. :p Anyways, if they survive and reproduce, they could spread thru the Northeast. Lots of deer etc. to help them survive. Nasty kitties, better to keep them down by you than upstate here. ;)

WheelGun

imported post

There is bizarre $hit going on all over the US concerning out-of place species, and that sounds just about right.

I have heard and read that wild boar are coming up throughout the south and southwest, with no one above them in the food chain except a hiker with a .44 magnum. My little .38 would 'just make them madder.'

I find it amazing that so many environmentally minded individuals celebrate the return of natural species (such as a reasonable number of coyotes in my area) yet become horrified at the idea that:

1) Those species need something to eat and humans may be on their menu, and

2) That some humans would like to keep themselves and their children OFF the menu.

Unfortunately, for misplaced species, a quick end is the only solution. No mercy can be shown to their numbers. They must be reduced to zero. This is not the hunting of an indigenous species.