• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Holster Mount for Car/Home

InspectorGadget

imported post

I thought this was very interesting... It is just the mount. You add your own holster. They even have a bed clip. And the $36 price tag isn't too bad.

http://www.sshmi.com/

gun_in_holster_transp_use.gif

http://www.sshmi.com/

Veritas

imported post

I've been giving some thought to buying another Blackhawk SERPA and drilling it into the roof of my 4X4 just above the passenger seat.

I find that it's more comfortable to drive without my holster. I wear the paddle, so I usually pop it off and stash it between the passenger seat and the center console... but if I'm carrying a passenger, it doesn't work out so well. An alternative location would be to drill the spare holster into the center console just to the right of the shifter.

warlockmatized

imported post

Veritas wrote:
You know, I've heard of the SERPA disconnect but haven't seen one anywhere yet. It sounds like a good concept. How reliable do you think it is?
I personally am a HUGE fan of Blackhawks gear. They make great products with very high quality control. I have NO doubt that the Serpa quick disconnect would be of the same quality and reliability as there other products.

edit: provided video link. After seeing this I will be ordering a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo2X...17954&TabID=548&feature=player_embedded#t=107

Veritas

imported post

I'm a fan as well. Thanks for the video link.

So I assume that the quick release adapter will integrate seamlessly with my existing SERPA holster?

I'll have to check and see what they have at the gun store next time I go.

Veritas

imported post

Nevermind... just went to Blackhawk's website. Yes, it's designed to fit all SERPA platforms.

My only complaint is the price! At $41 and change, it's about the same price as buying another holster. I think I only paid about $45 for my SERPA... I can't remember though.

As a side note... I was at the gun range several months back and saw that they had a clearance rack of SERPA holsters designed to fit Glock. They were selling for $25 each. My buddy has a Glock so he bought one. Lo and behold, my M&P fits it perfectly.

Thanks for the info, guys. Definately something to consider... the car mount fitted with the SERPA quick disconnect.

warlockmatized

imported post

Veritas wrote:
Nevermind... just went to Blackhawk's website. Yes, it's designed to fit all SERPA platforms.

My only complaint is the price! At $41 and change, it's about the same price as buying another holster. I think I only paid about $45 for my SERPA... I can't remember though.

As a side note... I was at the gun range several months back and saw that they had a clearance rack of SERPA holsters designed to fit Glock. They were selling for $25 each. My buddy has a Glock so he bought one. Lo and behold, my M&P fits it perfectly.

Thanks for the info, guys. Definately something to consider... the car mount fitted with the SERPA quick disconnect.
If you look around you can find em cheaper elsewhere on the net. The nice thing about this new Serpa adapter is that the unit itself can be mounted in the vehicle, say under the dash. No need for a separate mount.

Veritas

imported post

Yeah I was thinking about that option as well. The question is where, though. I'm thinking on the center console, to the right of the shifter, just near where the passenger's knee would sit. Or, as mentioned before, above their head.

I think I'll just go ahead and order the adapter and worry about where to put it later.

InspectorGadget

imported post

One of the other big advantages of using the quick disconnect system is that you always have the same holster that you train with. I agree that the price seems a bit high, but for the consistency factor I think it is worth it.

Veritas

imported post

Just an update: I ordered the BH Serpa quick-release system. It's been on back order forever. But I received email confirmation with a tracking number indicating that I'll have it by Monday. Not gonna lie... I'm kind of excited. :)

I also ordered a couple new magazine pouches... Blackhawk. They clip to your belt and can be quick-disconnected for easy storage in pockets.

There's some pretty good deals on that site.

Veritas

imported post

Will do!

I haven't figured out where I want to mount them yet, either. I'm waiting to see how they work before I decide that. I did stumble across a thread in another State forum here where folks posted pictures of their vehicle mounts. I'll do something similar once I get it all figured out. :)

Veritas

imported post

This may be the wrong place to ask... but I'm wondering if anyone knows a good smith that can media blast my slide. I checked with a couple around here and they either don't do that kind of work, or they charge too much, or they want 2 weeks to do the job.

I'm not looking for anything fancy... I'd just like to blast the finish off the slide and take it down to the stainless finish. Sort of like this:

600_Black_Chrome_MP45_2-09_2.jpg

Veritas

imported post

Just an update: Received my SERPA quick-disconnect a few days ago.

Pros: Ease of use... quick on, quick off. No more removing entire holster. Pistol stays holstered even when you need to remove pistol from your hip. I've also found that the removed portion doubles nicely as a concealed holster... now I can shove my pistol in my pocket or waistband feeling confident that nothing can depress the trigger. An added benefit to the quick-disconnect is the ability to quickly re-adjust the position of the holster... I can twist the assembly 45 to 180 degrees to arrange a variety of other carry options. For instance, I can swap the holster from my strong side to a cross-draw position. The assembly universally fits all other Blackhawk systems... including drop-leg, tactical vest, shoulder harness, etc, etc. One holster for all applications!

Cons: Price. Retails around $40. I found it for $30 online, but it was backordered for a few weeks. Took about 3 weeks in total to receive it. Lack of instructions. I know it seems simple enough to figure out, but I had to assemble and disassemble the unit three times before I found the combination that worked best for me. Instructions explaining how placement of screws will affect positioning angles would have been appreciated.

Pro/Con: This one issue can be either a pro or a con, depending on your preference... but the assembly adds about another inch or so the width of the entire holster. I generally prefer pistols tight against my hip... it took some getting used to with feeling it stick out another inch or so, but I actually prefer it now. For folks who prefer to conceal, this is not a good setup. But for folks who care more about accessibility, rather than concealment, it's a wonderful product. And like I said before, should you choose to conceal, you can quick-disconnect the holster (leaving the base of the paddle/belt assembly in tact) and stuff it in your pocket.

Perhaps pictures would help:

zz5.jpg

Ordinarily worn... strong side

zz6.jpg

What's left after holster is quickly disconnected. Easily covered by shirt, and not conspicous even if left visible. Notice the thickness... this is about how much farther your pistol will rest from your hip when holster is connected.

zz7.jpg

Notice the male adapter on the left side of the holster. This fits inside the female adapter (pictured above). The adapter is universal to all Blackhawk holster products.

zz8.jpg

The holster itself still serves to protect the trigger from being depressed. The disconnected holster can be easily concealed in a pocket or waistband while still maintaining its safety integrity.

zz9.jpg

By moving the base of the holster to my left hip and reconnecting the male adapter at a different angle, the pistol can easily be carried in a cross-draw manner.

zz3.jpg

Second female adapter (included) installed under the steering wheel of my truck. Note that the pistol position can be changed much the same way that it can be changed on my hip... it can be turned virtually 360 degrees to accomdate a variety of grip positions. I prefer to keep it at about 45 degrees, making it easy for me to retrieve and replace with my right hand.

zz1.jpg

Passenger side view

zz4.jpg

Driver side view