• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Making a difference

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I have been a member of OCDO since April of this year. But that does not begin to give credence to my experience, passion or desire to help change the inept and ridiculous laws we have to tolerate in Wisconsin just to exercise our rights.

Since I have come to OCDO. I have bumped heads with a few in good debates.
(Hopefully they realize it is only debate and doesn't make me the enemy)

Some I have just sat back and scratched my head at, not understanding a word they said. Sometimes I myself have babbled on and made myself look like an idiot. But all in all I realize we are all on the same side. We are all looking for answers and an organized method of which we should proceed to make changes here in this state.

But the one thing that stands out the most is our lack of unity outside of this forum.

I know, I know, some of you are spitting your coffee all over the monitor right now, but think about it. It's true.

For all of the members here in the Wisconsin forum not many show up at the events and when it comes to standing up on an issue no one is interested in taking things that far. ( IE..Picketing, group walks...etc.)

No one wants to leave the comfort of their home or god forbid miss a Packer Game.

I am not excluded from this criticism. I will do my very best to do more in the future.

The letters we have written have gained us some momentum, but we need to keep getting those extra pushes in to really make a difference.

We need for our state researchers to all get together and formulate an organized movement or plan in this state for us to move forward.

Yes, they will argue for days on the details. But it is necessary.

I know you are all probably tired of reading my posts about getting behind a candidate. But it is necessary.

We need to get behind a candidate that is as much in favor of our rights as we are. There is no happy medium, no compromise, no settling for less on this issue.

There is not much time between now and the Primary. We need to get moving and throw our support behind a candidate with every ounce of energy we have.

I do not understand why, many of the people in this forum find this so hard to do.
We need to support the candidate that comes forward and lays all of his cards on the table. The one who as Doug says, "will bleed political blood for the cause."

Or are we just going to get behind the one who the "Media" says is the front runner?
The Media! The same media that changes our very own words every time they interview one of us. The same Media that changes our very words to meet their own agenda.

Remember, Mitt Romney was the front runner at one time, so was Hillary.

A candidate that simply says, "I am in support of the 2nd Amendment or my family is a hunting family." Says nothing at all.

Saying they will pass a CCW law if elected is vague. What kind of CCW law? Is it a no compromise, nonpermitted law? Is it a CCW law that no longer allows for OCW?

I don't know about all of you, but I am certainly tired of hearing the same ole, same ole.

I will put my support behind Mark Todd, who is the only candidate to date that has acknowledged our existence as an organization. The only candidate that has given us his position on the issues and answered our questions openly. Which is very risky for him during his campaign. Fortunately Mark Todd feels the same way we do and he believes these issues are important enough to make a stand on.

I will be going to his event tonight (Aug 28) and I will be going to the event on Sept 6 and Sept 25 as well. (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/30548.html)

The people in St. Croix County had a wonderful turn out. Many of those people are not even from OCDO. Many said they couldn't make it because of work, travel distance, other plans and so on.

While I can understand the issues of work and travel, I then have to think, what about the other events?

Is work always the issue? Is travel always the issue? While the Olsen's event was quite far away and travel was hard for many of us as well as the work issue.

What about this event in Appleton on Sept 25? There is plenty of notice. It is on the east side of the state and fairly central even though it is still considered North east Wisconsin.

Every time I see a news story in the paper concerning an OC event, there are always the comments that follow where someone says, "Just because a few of these crazy gun totin people have a cook out and carry guns doesn't make it OK."

A few? It always seems like a few, well until St. Croix and Hubert's party as well.

This event on September 25 is the opportunity we have been waiting for. It is an Open Carry event hosted by a Candidate for Governor. What more could we ask for?

Or we can all just sit here in the forum and talk about what might have been for the next 4 years.

I have made my decision.

Now, you decide.

Molon Labe!
Carry On!

Sgt_Habz

imported post

Well, can't argue with that.

I'd be at the Mark Todd event this evening, but alas, I'm here at work (working hard, or hardly working?).

Please let us know how it goes. Some people are trying to get behind him, but some of his responses are less than satisfactory: "I'm not for anything that is unconstitutional."

That answer is a given. I don't know of many politicians willing to openly state that they oppose the Constitution; they all just have different interpretations. So he's leaving the question completely open and unanswered. A better answer (and the only answer I'm willing to settle for before I get behind him) is, "I would absolutely support and vote for legislation that eliminates the statutes banning the possession of firearms within a school zone, because it infringes upon our Constitutionally protected rights."

I hope to meet him at the Green Bay BBQ and have my questions answered directly. And as I haven't been to any OC events yet, I hope to meet some of you there as well.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Here is the thread where he clarified his answers:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/30031-1.html

I met both he and his wife in person tonight. Believe me when I say he is one of us.
He feels very strongly that these laws need to be changed and has committed to making those changes in his first 90 days in office. I told him we would give him 10 days to settle in. :lol:

He is looking forward to the BBQ and the Sept 25th event.

I do have 100 tickets in hand for the Sept 25th event for anyone who is in my neck of the woods or interested. Make the check payable as noted on the thread for the event and get it to me and I will either give you the ticket or have it waiting at the door for you.

You can also get your tickets through Marks website.

I think you will all be impressed with him.

The Sept 25th event is for Gun Rights and the other events he holds through out the state will be on other issues. So this is your chance if you want answers to your questions.

I know he will be having an event in Milwaukee in the near future. I am not aware at this time what the topic will be.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am at 99.999% probability of beingat Green Bay event on 09-6-09. and maybe I can get me and the GF down southfor the Appleton event too.
I try to attend things, but I am so farnorth it makes it difficult.

I wish we could get a better following and participation up here, but you'd be amazed at how few people actually have internet access in their homes up this way. The rely on what channel 12 our of Rhinelander has to say, and some might evenread the Lakeland times a few times a year (a twice weekly paper).

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I am at 99.999% probability of beingat Green Bay event on 09-6-09. and maybe I can get me and the GF down southfor the Appleton event too.
I try to attend things, but I am so farnorth it makes it difficult.

I wish we could get a better following and participation up here, but you'd be amazed at how few people actually have internet access in their homes up this way. The rely on what channel 12 our of Rhinelander has to say, and some might evenread the Lakeland times a few times a year (a twice weekly paper).
I know, you people up there need to change the string between the two cans more often so you get clearer communication. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing you there.

FoggyPete

imported post

I would love to be at either event...either Green Bay on 9.6 or Appleton on 9.25, but both dates have been taken for months (9.6 Brewer game taking my mother-in-law for her birthday and 9.25 attending a handgun training class in Lodi).

Will advise my relatives who live in GB and Green Lake to attend in my absence. Please ask Mr. Todd how he differs from Mr. Walker in his views on open carry and concealed carry. I know Mr. Walker is totally in favor of CCW, but have yet to hear him voice an opinion on Open Carry.

Thanks... Great job to the original poster. I agree basically with the entire message and spirit of the post.

Foggy

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

FoggyPete wrote:
I would love to be at either event...either Green Bay on 9.6 or Appleton on 9.25, but both dates have been taken for months (9.6 Brewer game taking my mother-in-law for her birthday and 9.25 attending a handgun training class in Lodi).

Will advise my relatives who live in GB and Green Lake to attend in my absence. Please ask Mr. Todd how he differs from Mr. Walker in his views on open carry and concealed carry. I know Mr. Walker is totally in favor of CCW, but have yet to hear him voice an opinion on Open Carry.

Thanks... Great job to the original poster. I agree basically with the entire message and spirit of the post.

Foggy
Here is the link that defines the difference between Mark Todd and Scott Walker
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/30031-1.html

Please keep in mind that all candidates have been invited to the forum to answer the same questions. Mark Todd is the only one who has stepped up and openly given his position.