• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Show

RayBurton72

imported post

Don't carry an extra loaded mag with you into the show - they will require you to unload any mags and sometimes will take the ammo itself. (I know, its dumb, but that has been happening at recent gunshows, especially Greensboro's)

Withe the cost of SD ammo these days, figured I would save you a second trip to the car

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Er um I know I haven't been posting for a while, but last time I checked you couldn't carry into any place that you pay admission to get into, yeah?

xdfan

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Er um I know I haven't been posting for a while, but last time I checked you couldn't carry into any place that you pay admission to get into, yeah?
Yeah, nor on the state fairgrounds. Kind of difficult to tell anyone they can't bring one though, the show being what it is. :D

I see many people OCing at the Raleigh shows, myself included. On entering they put a plastic tie through the action and back it goes in the holster until after leaving the building.

carter4612

imported post

you cant conceal carry into anywhere that charges admission...if i recall correctly that doesnt have any affect on open cary into palces with admission.

chiefjason

imported post

carter4612 wrote:
you cant conceal carry into anywhere that charges admission...if i recall correctly that doesnt have any affect on open cary into palces with admission.

Yeah it does, FWIW. See "any person"..."any gun".

14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) This section shall not apply to the following:
(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;
(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

carter4612 wrote:
Chief already clarified, but I'm going to beat the dead horse. The law says you can't carry any weapons PERIOD. Bad advice like this flying around will get people in trouble.

RayBurton72

imported post

DreQo wrote:
carter4612 wrote:
Chief already clarified, but I'm going to beat the dead horse. The law says you can't carry any weapons PERIOD. Bad advice like this flying around will get people in trouble.

While NC law does in fact ban the carry of a firearm into any place where admission is charged, somehow, the organizers of gun shows have managed to get this waived across the state, as I have had this very discussion with police and sheriff's deputies working the doors at a number of gun shows in NC.

The way it was explained to me is as follows:

1) given the nature of the event, the statute as written simply doesn't apply very well toa gun show, (since many are there to sell the firearms they bring in), so it is not "enforced," especially given the following:

2) All guns entering the gun show are required to be unloaded and zip-tied while in the show, therfore, every gun in the show has been rendered "visably inoperable" (LEO"S word choice, not mine) .

As for comments about the raleigh gun show being on State Fair grounds -

It is illegal to conceal carry on state property - it is NOT illegal to open carry on state property (with a few specific exceptions) - HOWEVER, the LEO's working the front desk at the rRleigh gun show like to take any and all ammo on one's person when they enter the show and will often refuse to give it back, hence my original warning about taking ammo to the GSO show. (It was not a problem this year, other than having to strip it out o the magazine and carry the rounds loose in my pocket).

Also please Note Subsection (3): Certainly if the organizers of a gun show has given permission to all attendees to bring a firearm, then the law has been satisfied...

14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) This section shall not apply to the following:
(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;
(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

chiefjason

imported post

I guess to sum it up, though you may be able to "carry" a gun, don't expect it to be usable during your attendance at the gun show.

I took "will OC" as meaning will OC like normal. Did not take sales or buying accessories into consideration. Or having to OC with it locked open and zip tied. Haven't been to a gun show in years, need to get to one just to drool on the cool stuff. :D