• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa Firearm Law

Swamp Fox

Does a hotel count as a residence? If I rent the hotel room, am i then able to OC/ CC there?
Thanks

Yes, you may legally possess a loaded firearm in your hotel room. You may also carry it on your person, either openly or concealed. The law treats your hotel room as your temporary residence. This is also true of your parked motor home or other vehicle (such as a truck's sleeper cab) that you are using as a temporary residence. However, without a valid permit, you may NOT possess the weapon outside of your room or parked vehicle (unless you are outside of any municipality).

BTW, as of Jan. 1, 2011, Iowa will honor permits to carry weapons from ALL states. (Iowa residents may only carry with an Iowa permit, however.) So feel free to visit with your little friends after Jan. 1. Iowa really has very few restrictions for carry with a permit. The Iowa Firearms Coalition intends to push for more gun rights friendly legislation in the 2011 General Assembly, including Constitutional Carry.

cfrench

Question: So as of Jan 1st, if you have a cc permit can you open carry legally? Do I need to get a additional permit for this? What states are our permits good at now?

Thanks,
Chris

JD

Question: So as of Jan 1st, if you have a cc permit can you open carry legally? Do I need to get a additional permit for this? What states are our permits good at now?

Thanks,
Chris

The Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons has always allowed (unless specifically listed as a restriction) the permit holder to open carry, the new law does not change this. Currently these states honor the Iowa permit: AK*, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, MT, NE, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT. So far no other states have added Iowa that I am aware of. The new law does not mention reciprocity, only that Iowa will recognize all other states permits. It will be up to the powers that be in other states to determine if they will honor the Iowa permit. Handgunlaw.us keeps pretty good tabs on such matters.

Last edited:

Uber_Olafsun

That 1000 ft rile needs to go. I have family in Dyersville that no where in the city is not within the 1000 ft rule. They were going to use the same rule about child sex offenders not being allowed to live within the same distance because the knew they couldn't live in town.

amaixner

That 1000 ft rile needs to go. I have family in Dyersville that no where in the city is not within the 1000 ft rule. They were going to use the same rule about child sex offenders not being allowed to live within the same distance because the knew they couldn't live in town.

There is no 1000 foot "rule" or ban. It is only a penalty enhancement if you commit a crime there.

paknon2wheels

Federal Exemptions

Well, there is the federal one, but I'm not sure how often that's enforced.

Please see Federal Exemptions to this. The exemption does not currently apply for you since you live in WI, don't have a permit system, don't require a background check.

Last edited:

amaixner

Well, there is the federal one, but I'm not sure how often that's enforced.

The USSC declared it unconstitutional. Congress re-passed almost the same words, but it has never been used to convict anyone since the USSC decision. That is the advice I got directly from a lawyer.

protias

I just want to say, I believe people should be armed where and when they please.

Please see Federal Exemptions to this. The exemption does not currently apply for you since you live in WI, don't have a permit system, don't require a background check.

The law still exists, that's why I pointed it out.

The USSC declared it unconstitutional. Congress re-passed almost the same words, but it has never been used to convict anyone since the USSC decision. That is the advice I got directly from a lawyer.
Since it was ruled unconstitutional, how did it pass legislation again?

Yooper

The first one, IIRC, failed to mention interstate commerce, so it was ruled unconstitutional. So, they re-worded it so it included interstate commerce and passed it again. Whether or not it would hold up is anyones guess, because it hasn't been challenged.

amaixner

They can pass whatever they want, but if it has been ruled unconstitutional, the thing they pass in session will be worth just as much as the things they "pass" in private, if you get my drift.