• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

adult - but not adult enough

Seif5034

imported post

I'm just annoyed and venting:banghead:

What do you wait for to turn 18? All throughout my childhood I just couldn't wait to get older. Now I've hit the monumental age of 18 and find myself wondering what the hype was about...At 16 years old you can drive a car. At 17, you can get into a rated R movie. But what about that "famous" age of 18? What is soo great that you can do on your 18th birthday that you couldn't the day before?

You can view so-called "Adult" entertainment. You get the joy of credit cards. You can legally buy cigarettes. You can work in a factory type setting. You can move out of your parents house. You can order things off T.V.. You can win contest prizes. You can get married and start a family.You can join the military. You cannot however walk into a licensed gun shop and buy a handgun and some ammunition to protect youself out on the streets.

The current law in all it's wisdom forces peoplein that in-between period tofly under the radar to obtain a handgun.. I almost feel like I'm doing something illegal trying to buy a handgun and purposly avoiding FFL's.What kind of message does that put in our heads? "If the government doesn't like it, do it behind the government's back!"We can't even get the people we trust to buy us handguns because of that lovely thing called straw purchasing.

So is a young adult not and adult? Are we not people too? I understand the apprehension of lawmakers to putpistols into the hands of us young bucks but don't insult us. Not all of us are binge-drinking, horrible-driving, sexually irresponsible, wannabe gangsters.

I'm Yankee J, and that's my $.02

JT

imported post

I understand your frustration. It stinks but until it ischanged it doesn't make any sense to go the civil disobedience route unless you want to take one for the cause and lose the right for life. Times andperceptionshave changed for the worse. I'm 48 and at 16 I could walk through the streets of my home town with a shotgun on my way to a friends house to go duckhunting. Nobody would even blink. My nephews that still live in that town would be arrested if they did that.

Seif5034

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
I guess if ya go .44 mag, ya just buy your rifle ammo and all is good.
actually, i like the "The Judge" for that reason. .410 can be bought practically anywhere

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Seif5034 wrote:

What do you wait for to turn 18? All throughout my childhood I just couldn't wait to get older. Now I've hit the monumental age of 18 and find myself wondering what the hype was about...At 16 years old you can drive a car. At 17, you can get into a rated R movie. But what about that "famous" age of 18? What is soo great that you can do on your 18th birthday that you couldn't the day before?

You can view so-called "Adult" entertainment. You get the joy of credit cards. You can legally buy cigarettes. You can work in a factory type setting. You can move out of your parents house. You can order things off T.V.. You can win contest prizes. You can get married and start a family.You can join the military. You cannot however walk into a licensed gun shop and buy a handgun and some ammunition to protect youself out on the streets.

The current law in all it's wisdom forces peoplein that in-between period tofly under the radar to obtain a handgun.. I almost feel like I'm doing something illegal trying to buy a handgun and purposly avoiding FFL's.What kind of message does that put in our heads? "If the government doesn't like it, do it behind the government's back!"We can't even get the people we trust to buy us handguns because of that lovely thing called straw purchasing.

So is a young adult not and adult? Are we not people too? I understand the apprehension of lawmakers to putpistols into the hands of us young bucks but don't insult us. Not all of us are binge-drinking, horrible-driving, sexually irresponsible, wannabe gangsters.

Depending on the state, there are a lot of gun restrictions that go away at 18. Then there are some that go away at 21.

Then there is inconsistency across states on some restrictions.

Would probably be best to change all restrictions to 18. Or to 21.

Me, I wouldn't sell a gun to a kid of 18, much less younger than that.

thx997303

imported post

Hmm, are private party sales allowed in Mississippi? I'd just go that route if that was the case.

I understand your frustration, in Utah, you can't even buy cigarettes until 19. It's ridiculous.

Don't worry though, those few years will fly and you'll be 21, and you'll not have to worry about that pesky "youngunn" stigma.

Well, not as much anyway.

You know HankT, back in the 1800s and early 1900s you were expected to do the work of a man at the age of 14 and younger in some cases.

These men carried their rifles and pistols and took on their responsibilities like true men.

I believe we do a disservice to well raised individuals of the younger set by looking upon them as lesser beings.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Seif5034 wrote:

the most important thing you receive at 18 is the RIGHT TO VOTE, which gives you an opportunity to help CHANGE THAT LAW!!!!!!!!!

exercise that right.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Federal law requires that 18-20 year olds buy guns in private sales, not from federally licensed dealers. Most states do not ban private sales of handguns, and even PA, which does so generally, allows transfers between close amily members, see PA Uniform Firearms Act linked to from the PA state page (click on pa on mpa - ses our map on this at the map tab.

Seif5034

imported post

HankT wrote:

#1 Would probably be best to change all restrictions to 18. Or to 21.

#2 Me, I wouldn't sell a gun to a kid of 18, much less younger than that.

#1 That would definately make the laws easier to understand and less "grey"

#2 May I ask why?

Nitrox314

imported post

Seif5034 wrote:
HankT wrote:

#1 Would probably be best to change all restrictions to 18. Or to 21.

#2 Me, I wouldn't sell a gun to a kid of 18, much less younger than that.

#1 That would definately make the laws easier to understand and less "grey"

#2 May I ask why?

#1 It should be 18... If you can die defending your country at 18, you should be allowed to do anything a 30 year old can do who has not defended the country.

#2 See #1.

I went to War at age 19. Spent my 20th and 21st birthdays in Iraq. I carried a gun with me 24/7. I learned all about the 9mm Berretta as well as the Benelli Shotgun, yet I couldn't buy a handgun until 21. I had friends die before they ever reached that age. I am a huge proponent of dropping the agefor both drinking and buying a pistol to 18.Some of you might complain about18 year oldsdrinking,but I personally believethatit would help with responsibility, not to mention what I said above on #1.

ProguninTN

imported post

Seif5034 wrote:

Do you have money ? Do you own any long guns yet ? You're old enough for those. Why not get one ? (Long guns are better than no guns.)

Seif5034

imported post

yes I own a few long guns. Among theseis a tactical sks that I built. If it were legal for me to carry it to walmart I would, but as member JT pointed out to me in a diff.thread if you're not 21 you can't carry out in public in MS