• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Fair VA

Infidel

imported post

It's been brought to my attention that the VA State Fair is next month. Might we want to see about setting an informational table up to "Support the OC Cause"? It would be some great publicity! Anyone have flyers made, of on computer.

I saw no mention of rules on their website www.statefairva.org, but I did notice this and what they are about.

As a not-for-profit independent of state government, SFVA is much more than one event. In a world where Virginia’s open land and traditions that shaped our culture are rapidly vanishing, our goal is to keep cherished ideals and experiences alive in the Commonwealth.

Anytakers for supporting this?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You might check if VCDL is doing anything at the fair. Maybe coordinate with them. I imagine many of your table-workers would be VCDLers.

The only other thing I mention is a subtle shift from supporting OC to supporting 2A. Its a broader scope.

Maybe even promote CC at the same time. Maybe have applications printed off from the state police website, combined with other materials into a CHP packet, ready to hand to people.

Infidel

imported post

Citizen wrote:
You might check if VCDL is doing anything at the fair. Maybe coordinate with them. I imagine many of your table-workers would be VCDLers.

The only other thing I mention is a subtle shift from supporting OC to supporting 2A. Its a broader scope.

Maybe even promote CC at the same time. Maybe have applications printed off from the state police website, combined with other materials into a CHP packet, ready to hand to people.
Worth looking into Citizen. Will do.

kennys

imported post

Let me know what you come up with as I may be able to lend a hand as I am only a couple miles away from the grounds.

kenny

imported post

The State Fair makes money by selling space. I suspect a "table" space will be upwards of $500 or more dollars. I will be curious to see what they charge for a table.

FYI at this year's Fair parking will be $5 ( a first for the Fair), walk around admission $5-12 depending upon age and day and of course the rides and food are extra.

Infidel

imported post

kenny wrote:
The State Fair makes money by selling space. I suspect a "table" space will be upwards of $500 or more dollars. I will be curious to see what they charge for a table.

FYI at this year's Fair parking will be $5 ( a first for the Fair), walk around admission $5-12 depending upon age and day and of course the rides and food are extra.

Well if that's so we could just have an OC day at the fair and walk around. Who needs a table! I'll check into it further though.

vt357

imported post

The fair has traditionally been anti-carry (I think sometimes using metal detectors). Does anyone know if that was because of the fair promoter's policy or the raceway complex policy?

kenny

imported post

vt357 wrote:
The fair has traditionally been anti-carry (I think sometimes using metal detectors). Does anyone know if that was because of the fair promoter's policy or the raceway complex policy?
The Fair this year is at the new fairgrounds on Route 30 in Caroline County just down the road and across from Kings Dominion. The Fair (non profit) own the property lock, stock and barrel. It will be intersting to hear their response.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What response?

How many times do we have to repeat it? If it's not posted do not ask - wait for them to notice and tell you.

Asking gives them time to consider the question and decide that saying "No" is going to be the safer bet than saying "Yes". [/rant]

In the past the folks who run the State Fair have sometimes posted no weapons, no firearms, or no handguns at the entrances. Other years there was nothing posted. At RIR it was preivate property to begin with and RIR and VSF folks has an agreement to support each other on the issue if one or the other posted. Now the Fair is on property owned by VSF - they get to set the rules as they are a private corporation, not a political subdivision of the Commonwealth. (Lobby Day reminder - get preemption against state agencies as well as political subdivisions.)

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:
What response?

How many times do we have to repeat it? If it's not posted do not ask - wait for them to notice and tell you.

Asking gives them time to consider the question and decide that saying "No" is going to be the safer bet than saying "Yes". [/rant]

In the past the folks who run the State Fair have sometimes posted no weapons, no firearms, or no handguns at the entrances. Other years there was nothing posted. At RIR it was preivate property to begin with and RIR and VSF folks has an agreement to support each other on the issue if one or the other posted. Now the Fair is on property owned by VSF - they get to set the rules as they are a private corporation, not a political subdivision of the Commonwealth. (Lobby Day reminder - get preemption against state agencies as well as political subdivisions.)

stay safe.

skidmark
Not to hijack the thread Skid, but you made a good point. We need to be organizing and marking our calendars for Lobby day. I talked to a couple of people outside the Cafe today that were interested in the Gun Lobby.

I also want to mention the Old Virginia, spit in the Kainetoon day. When the smoking ban goes intoeffect, many of us will be chewing and using a Kainetoon.