Thread: SW M&P40 or FNP40

Post imported post

I'm looking to get a handgun for the police academy and I was wondering what people on here would recomend. They are about the same price and I like how these two feel. Any suggestions about these guns? Thanks.

Post imported post

I love the feel and capacity of the S&W M&P .40. It's my number 2 carry weapon and my only misgiving is that it is a polymer. I'm no LEO but for a dutycarry and qualifying weapon I would think it is great.

I noticed the FN is 1 round less in the magazine, .25" shorter barrel length and comes with three mags, so probably a bit more concealable.Of course, it all depends on how the gun feels in your hand and on your belt.

Post imported post

Shoot both at a range that lets you shoot "rental" guns and find out which one fits you the best. Use the one you're most proficient with.

If it's for the police academy and you already have a job waiting for you as an LEO, get the one that your department issues. (If they let you choose between several types, pick whichever one is on their allowed list.)