• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unclear on Transport w/o concealed carry permit

dshelman

imported post

I'm new to this forum, and am researching my rights in Alabama to ensure I don't get myself in a jam. My wife and I are moving from Georgia to Alabama (Madison county) in November and are intent on acquiring and carrying pistols for personal protection.

It is clear that one can legally open carry w/o a license, risking the occasional MWAG call by a citizen to LE with a potential disturbing the peace arrest and permit revocation/gun loss (depending on LE organization in the area and their practices).

It also appears that one cannot carry while in their car w/o a license as that would essentially be concealed carry because the gun wouldn't be visible from outside the car.

What isn't clear to me is if I can unload/secure my weapon in the trunc and transport my weapon from point A to point B. If not, I don't see how someone could legally bring their weapon to a practice range. Even as I'm writing this, I can see how dumb this question may look to you guys, but I have to ask it to make sure I'm not missing something.:?

Thanks,

Don

kurtmax_0

imported post

Section 13A-11-74Has exceptions to needing a permit. Taking a handgun to the range is not allowed and people that do so are breaking the law if they do not have a pistol permit. At least, that's how it reads. I've yet to see a case of someone being convicted under 11-73 for going to and from a range.

In my experience, cops aren't going to care as long as it's unloaded an in a locker or trunk or something, but they probably could charge you if they were in a foul mood. Remember that federal travel law doesn't apply unless you are travelling interstate.

Inside a vehicle is not considered 'concealed'. The law simply states that carrying a handgun inside a vehicle or carrying a concealed handgun requires a permit.

Easiest thing to do is just a get a permit. There isn't a residency time requirement in Alabama so as soon as you move here you can go apply at the Sheriff's. Turnaround time seems pretty fast here too. I had my app approved 2-3 days after i turned it in.

If you are concerned about not being able to carry, you should contact the Sheriff and see if you can file the paperwork before you move and be able to pick up the permits the day you become residents.

dshelman

imported post

So, then, you can buy and own a pistol without a permit, but cannot legally transfer it to your residence from the place of purchase unless you are walking.

Anyone know how crazy laws like this get started?

And, thanks, Kurt - I appreciate the thoughtful answers.:D

kurtmax_0

imported post

One of the exceptions is transporting from purchase to your house or place of business. Or for repairs.

You can also transfer between your houses and your places of business.

aadvark

imported post

dshelman wrote:
So, then, you can buy and own a pistol without a permit, but cannot legally transfer it to your residence from the place of purchase unless you are walking.

I agree the Law is written to discourage carrying in a Motor Vehicle in Alabama, despite the fact that it is possible to do so without a Permit, provided, the Pistol is unloaded and in the trunk.

If at all possible, to aviod confusion and problems until you acquire the Permit, just walk to range... or atleast that is whatI would do.

aadvark

imported post

Navy LT is right, in Georgia a Georgia Firearms License does not do muchmore than allow for the carry of Pistols, and allow you to carry that Pistol into a State Park or Public Transportation.

dshelman

imported post

Well, it's academic now. Since I'm living in Athens until the move, I went to the Limestone Sheriff Dept today, filled out a nothing form, paid $15 and they issued me a permit. Easy-peasy.

First, I went to vehicle licensing and converted my GA license to Alabama. That took 15 minutes, no waiting. 5 minute drive to sheriff and less than 10 minutes to get the permit.

By comparison, you have to live in Madison county for 6 months and there's a 3 week waiting period after you apply. What a difference a county line makes, huh?

dshelman

imported post

If they did a background check, it was online and very quick. She spent time entering into a computer, and I figured if there'd been any red flags it would have been caught. I've never had a carry license in any state before, so that was a non issue. I'm told the NCIC check at our local gun shop is, like, instantaneous, too.

A friend relates buying his gun and getting his permit all within about 30 minutes including drive time of 10 minutes from gun shop to sheriff.

Curious, though, Kurt -- when I move from Limestone to Madison county, I think my permit is still valid, but then at renewal time, I know I'd have to apply in Madison. Does that seem right to you that it the Limestone permit continues to be valid? I saw no language about moving to a different county on the permit.

Don

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well the address won't match. But it is for the State of AL.
OC in Madison is the worst, but just keep the limestone till
they issue the new one. Simple phone call to sheriff and ask
about change of address.
With only 1 year issue, I would not think they would push
the address issue to much, not much anti in the sheriffs office.
As you noticed, no fingerprints, no references, no serial numbers,
no outrageous fees. Just here you go have a nice day.
While you are entering one of the worst counties, even they are more
praiseworthy than the a lot of other states in the czar's domain.

Always wondered if the strong anti posture was to appease
the russians that always were at redstone, and they never
changed the policy after the fall.

One thing to keep in mind....
TN does not have reciprocity with us, they acknowledge our permits,
but it could put you in limbo if they really want to give you grief.
Could be a sticking point if they only want to recognize that AL license
is for CC. I was shocked when I checked the TN website and we were
not listed, yet my sheet from sheriff says they honor it.
But wouldn't be the first time big brother tried to trick me.:cool:

Welcome to the State.
I know of a little 3br in madison, bob jones school district......
Little factoid... Huntsville Hospital had a case of the flesh eating bact.
a couple year ago. So you are in a great area for everything.:uhoh:
And whatever happens don't get stuck working on the other side
of the 565/231 interchange from your house. You will learn with time
about the reason.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Huh? Tennessee recognizes permits from all states. And it's just like having a TN permit, so you can carry concealed or unconcealed.

dshelman

imported post

Thanks, Bob!

Yeah, after not too much reading here I got pretty clear that Madison LEis very hostile to OC. I'd hope to be invited to any OC BBQ/Picnic style events in the area, though.

I'll, God willing, continue to work in Limestone county, so I should be going against the flow of traffic mornings and afternoons up and down the 72.

Wouldn't mind hearin' more about the 3br place, less about the flesh-eating bacteria:?.

Glad to be here, guys!

Don

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dshelman wrote:
Thanks, Bob!

Yeah, after not too much reading here I got pretty clear that Madison LEis very hostile to OC. I'd hope to be invited to any OC BBQ/Picnic style events in the area, though.

I'll, God willing, continue to work in Limestone county, so I should be going against the flow of traffic mornings and afternoons up and down the 72.

Wouldn't mind hearin' more about the 3br place, less about the flesh-eating bacteria:?.

Glad to be here, guys!

Don

This AL State Congressman intends to introduce a bill in the next session to clarify OC rights in AL:

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/house/representatives/housebios/hd031.html

If you're interested in seeing OC protected and more commonly exercised, please contact him now, voice your support, and ask what you can do to help.

Many thanks, - Neo

dshelman

imported post

Neo wrote:
This AL State Congressman intends to introduce a bill in the next session to clarify OC rights in AL:

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/house/representatives/housebios/hd031.html

If you're interested in seeing OC protected and more commonly exercised, please contact him now, voice your support, and ask what you can do to help.

Many thanks, - Neo

Thanks for the link; here's what I sent him:

State Congressman Mask:

I am a new resident of Alabama and hold an Alabama pistol license issued in Limestone county. I am also a member of OpenCarry.Org, a national web site and forum that promotes the freedom to carry firearms openly as is guaranteed in the 2[suP]nd[/suP] amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

I’m informed that you’ll be introducing a bill to clarify Alabama handgun open carry laws, presumably for the edification of local law enforcement. While it is known by all that open carry is completely legal, is also apparent that one risks harassment by law enforcement (more in some places, less in others) and possible seizure and arrest for exercising one’s rights.

I fully support you in your efforts in this regard, even though I am not in your district. Please add me to a mailing list to keep me informed and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thank you,

Monkeytown

imported post

Gentlemen, this is awesome. I live in Barry Mask's district and am friends with him. I sent him a similar letter earlier this year, his response stated he would be introducing a bill clearing up the OC issues here in AL. Also, for future letter writers, please ask him to change the law in AL from "May Issue" to "Shall Issue".

One more thing, please contact your local representatives and senators and get them on board with the idea of this bill.

Thanks,

MT

dshelman

imported post

Well, since you're friends, can you get the bill # and text of the bill as proposed? That would help publicize it immensely.

Thanks in advance! :D

D