• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meeting with Attorney Scheduled

American Rattlesnake

imported post

Please don't think I am taking anyone to task. I am just encouraging folks to think things all the way through and to be precise in their criticism.

As I mentioned a few posts back, this regulation doesn't actually infringe on the right to keep arms, nor to bear them. It simply proscribes that if you are in a particular line of business, you need to store firearms in a particular way.

rpyne

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
This is not an infringement on the right to keep, nor to bear arms.
It is indeed an infringement on the right to keep arms. The definition of "infringe" from the time of writing was "encroach upon at the very fringes".

Mandating how they are "kept" does indeed infringe upon the right to keep arms.

ecocks

imported post

And that's the point.

It's a business regulation for a specific business involving the public (in this case our children) and their safety. No different than establishing storage requirements for black powder manufacturers, safety procedures/requirements for firearms warehousing undercommercial building codesor including them in regulations regarding interstate commerce.

Is OSHA infringing on your right to keep arms by requiringSmith and Wesson(et. al.) to storeboth raw materials and finished inventoryin a certain way at their plant?

Does a hazardous material data sheet on the truck transporting inventory toa gun store affect this right?

No one that supports a bill prohibiting employing sex offenders in schools is trying to punish the offender, they''re trying to protect the children. It's the same concept.

rpyne

imported post

rpyne, I concede you have a good point. I'm just not seeing this as a personal, individual infringement. It is a business regulation.
And exactly how does it affect a business without affecting a person? There is no difference. All laws and government regulation ultimately apply to people.

rpyne

imported post

ecocks wrote:
No one that supports a bill prohibiting employing sex offenders in schools is trying to punish the offender, they''re trying to protect the children. It's the same concept.
No, it is not the same concept. Being employed by a school is not a basic, natural human right, self defense, the ultimate purpose of the right to keep and bear arms, is.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

rpyne wrote:
rpyne, I concede you have a good point. I'm just not seeing this as a personal, individual infringement. It is a business regulation.
And exactly how does it affect a business without affecting a person? There is no difference. All laws and government regulation ultimately apply to people.
I am not saying that it does not affect a person. I am saying that it does not prohibit individuals from exercising their right to self defense. It establishes a regulation for a business regarding how stored firearms should be kept in that business during business hours.

Again, it does not prohibit a person from keeping a firearm at hand for personal protection.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

rpyne wrote:
ecocks wrote:
No, it is not the same concept. Being employed by a school is not a basic, natural human right, self defense, the ultimate purpose of the right to keep and bear arms, is.
I agree with you that the concepts are different.

You say being employed by a school is not a basic, natural human right; you are correct, but neither is running a day care facility.

Not that this is relevant...there is no prohibition on keeping or bearing arms for self defense in this bill.

ecocks

imported post

No, the concept is exactly the same, unless you are so paranoid that you immediately think someone is saying gun owners are like sex offenders.

So,try it again.

No one that supports a bill prohibiting improperly stored firearms in a daycare is trying to punish gun owners, they're trying to protect the children. It's the same concept.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I don't see it as an issue either. You can still carry your weapon while working at a daycare. It just mandates that if you choose to store it, it must be locked up instead of stored in a child's desk. Even without this law, I could see someone going to jail on a negligent homicide charge if they didn't practice due diligence while operating their daycare center. This law just clarifies that position.

At home I have several loaded guns in accessible places. I choose not to have much company because of this. This regulates a business; I see no infringement on individual rights either.

ecocks

imported post

Same with me/us. We have guns in several places but only because there are no longer children in the house and we are VERY careful with visitors inour home and vehicles.

When I start having to worry about grandchildren visiting changes will have to be made but this hardly constitutes infringement of my 2A rights.