View Poll Results: Your opinion of 30 round plus Glock magazines.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • They don't work.But are fun.

1 6.25%
  • They don't work, I hate them.

1 6.25%
  • They work, But they're ridiculous.

2 12.50%
  • I hate them, don't know if they work.

1 6.25%
  • I love them.

8 50.00%
  • Other.

3 18.75%

Thread: HIGH Capacity Glock magazines.

Post imported post

Just wondering what other's feel on the 30 round plus Glock magazines.

I personally find them to be pieces of junk, and you look retarded while using them.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I was told by a local gun shop carry one as a back up if I can, because if you are able to use up your first mag, you are going to want as much as you can have in the second. I don't think anyone would care about looking retarded at that moment.

I just think it would be to cumbersome to lug around, so I just have an extra few mags.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

No, I don't believe looking retarded would be anywhere near my concious thought at that moment, or likely for quite a while afterward.

I'm talking about when you're at the range. It just looks so retarded. Especially when you're blasting away with two Glocks like that.

And in my experience, they are not very reliable.

But, to each their own I guess.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I haven't used one, I don't mind the break reloading my magazines gives me. I know what you meen though.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

I don't own a Glock. I don't know if they work well or not. If you want to buy one and carry one, more power to you. I won't poo-poo them when others use or buy them. I just wouldn't own one myself.

If I'm in a situation where I need more than 30 rounds of pistol ammo to get the job done, I should have brought a sub-machine gun, a battle rifle or a true assault rifle (a belt-fed open-bolt automatic) instead.

Post imported post

Ugh, I didn't put an option in the poll that would align with your opinion.

Dang.

So I guess that would be other.

I don't care when others use them, it's not me.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Ugh, I didn't put an option in the poll that would align with your opinion.

Dang.

So I guess that would be other.

I don't care when others use them, it's not me.
    Yes,I was just explaining my vote of "other."

Post imported post

I've fired a Glock with a modified grip to handle the oversized clip (double row of bullets, narrows down to single at the top, extends a little out of the bottom of the grip). I found it to be comfortable and fire reliably, I consider the modification to be a wise investment where it is legal to carry such.

Post imported post

What capacity of mag is that?

It doesn't sound like a 30 plus, those seem to stick out the entire length of the grip.

Post imported post

I wouldn't carry one but I can see that they could have their purposes. Friend of mine decided to consolidate his home/personal defense planning so he and his wife bought matching Glock 19s and matching Kel-Tec Sub 2000's that take the Glock mags. So now they have 2 sidearms and 2 carbines with not just interchangeable ammo but mags as well. As part of that they bought some of the 33 rd high capacity mags which also function in both firearms.

I think the high capacity mags make more sense in a carbine, but being functional in a handgun is not a downside. For a true SHTF scenario, if reliable it is an inexpensive way to have essentially 2 extra mags for the price of one loaded up for action. As a practical every day carry option I think it is kinda silly.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

When I was working at a range in NJ, a buddy had a 50 rounds "snail" drum for the Colt .45 ACP. You get awfully tired just holding that thing up long enough to shoot 50 rounds. We were all used to shooting 7 rounds at a time. Now I have 12-rnd mags for my USP 45 and even that seems like a lot to shoot in one squirt. I usually practice in 5 round strings, (be it slow fire or rapid fire) before doing target analysis.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
    If I'm in a situation where I need more than 30 rounds of pistol ammo to get the job done, I should have brought a sub-machine gun, a battle rifle or a true assault rifle (a belt-fed open-bolt automatic) instead.
    My 30-round G21 magazines work fine. It is a b_____ getting the last round in though. :-)

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
    SNIP If I'm in a situation where I need more than 30 rounds of pistol ammo to get the job done, I should have brought a sub-machine gun, a battle rifle or a true assault rifle (a belt-fed open-bolt automatic) instead.
    +1

I normally carry a Kimber with 3 8rd mags (1 in the gun) for a total of 24 .45 cal rds. My Kimber is at the factory atm so I'm carrying a Glock 21 with three mags as well for a total of 39 .45 cal rds. I do that for uniformity because I always want to have 2 reloads with me. Honestly though, if I can't take care of a situation with what I have in my gun then I'm in it DEEP.

The only way I'd buy an extremely high cap mag like those 30+ rounders is if I owned/carried a G18C or I get a really sick deal on one. I just don't think it's practical and it's likely very uncomfortable. That said though a pistol on your hip isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    What capacity of mag is that?

It doesn't sound like a 30 plus, those seem to stick out the entire length of the grip.
    I don't recall, unfortunately, it was a while ago.

Post imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
    shad0wfax wrote:
    SNIP If I'm in a situation where I need more than 30 rounds of pistol ammo to get the job done, I should have brought a sub-machine gun, a battle rifle or a true assault rifle (a belt-fed open-bolt automatic) instead.
    +1

I normally carry a Kimber with 3 8rd mags (1 in the gun) for a total of 24 .45 cal rds. My Kimber is at the factory atm so I'm carrying a Glock 21 with three mags as well for a total of 39 .45 cal rds. I do that for uniformity because I always want to have 2 reloads with me. Honestly though, if I can't take care of a situation with what I have in my gun then I'm in it DEEP.

The only way I'd buy an extremely high cap mag like those 30+ rounders is if I owned/carried a G18C or I get a really sick deal on one. I just don't think it's practical and it's likely very uncomfortable. That said though a pistol on your hip isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting.
    Icarry a USP 45 and it isn't very light. .45 ammo isn't light, either. Carrying a couple extra 12 round mags on my weak side balances the load, though. Sometimes I'll just carry one extra mag inthe back pocket of my shorts. They're quite roomy.

When I was in the service and carrying a Beretta 92F, we had 2 extra mags, 2 pairs of handcuffs, pepper spray, flashlight (back then it was a multi-cell D size flashlight or if you were lucky you had one with C-cells), gloves, radio (a HUGE encrypted Motorola MX-300), and cuff key. All that crap was REALLY heavy, but we also wore an inner velcro belt and belt keepers (either snaps or velcro) to hold the two belts together. If you went over the side (which I did a couple times) in the summer, you didn't float very well, even with the Type 3 PFD because we also wore level 3A body armor. Sometimes we wore "suspenders" similar to the LBE's and "combat harnesses"other services wear with all their stuff. We got Surefires and expandible batons (ASP) about halfway through my career. They replaced the big flashlight and "3 from the ring" training.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

NightOwl wrote:
    I've fired a Glock with a modified grip to handle the oversized clip (double row of bullets, narrows down to single at the top, extends a little out of the bottom of the grip). I found it to be comfortable and fire reliably, I consider the modification to be a wise investment where it is legal to carry such.
    WTF are you talking about

Post imported post

The high-capacity 9mm magazines made by Glock (for the model 18) hold 33 rounds and stick out more thana little. They're also illegal to use in Ohio (30 round maglimit here). Dunno about the after-market stuff.

-ljp

Post imported post

I've got a 29 round mag for my G23 and I like it. I mainly got it for fun, but I've thought about carrying it. It works fine in a horizontal carry shoulder rig, can't carry it on a belt. I also noticed when I shoot it that it actually balances the gun out very well. I have had to make a couple slight modifications to it because it wasn't feeding flawlessly. Overall, it's a pretty good setup, but the mags are a little pricey.

Post imported post

I have a couple 33 rd. 9mm mags. One by Glock, the other by some co. I can't remember the name of it right now.

The glock mag works flawlessly for me and loads easily. The other one caused jams during firing and was difficult to load. I have to be careful while loading the non-glock mag that the bullets stay ~horizontal and don't jam up. After applying some oil it's not only easier to load, but hasn't caused any jams while firing.

They're a time-saver at the range; and I keep one loaded as a backup in my house and vehicle.

Carrying concealed is possible in the winter, but they do print easier. As for OC, they're fine if you don't care what anyone else thinks.

Post imported post

Is your other one made by Scherer?

Post imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
    Is your other one made by Scherer?
    Yep, that's it. It's garbage compared to the Glock factory magazine. But, like I said, with a little oil it's at least usable.

The price of the Glock magazines almost always comes down the last day of a gun show to compete with the non-glock mags, so it's never worth buying a Scherer or anything but a Glock factory magazine for a Glock.

I suppose that if Scherer makes other high-capacity magazines for other guns, besides Glocks, that they would be crappy, too. It's a shame, though, because I think Scherer products are made in the USA; they ought to be better than that.

Post imported post

Mine is made by magpul and haven't had any problems with them. They had to have a hi-cap magazine that could feed fully automatic KRISS SMG's.

http://www.kriss-tdi.com/press/press...accessory.html