• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HIGH Capacity Glock magazines.

Your opinion of 30 round plus Glock magazines.

• They don't work.But are fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They don't work, I hate them.

• They work, But they're ridiculous.

• I hate them, don't know if they work.

• Other.

• Total voters

thx997303

imported post

Just wondering what other's feel on the 30 round plus Glock magazines.

I personally find them to be pieces of junk, and you look retarded while using them.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I was told by a local gun shop carry one as a back up if I can, because if you are able to use up your first mag, you are going to want as much as you can have in the second. I don't think anyone would care about looking retarded at that moment.

I just think it would be to cumbersome to lug around, so I just have an extra few mags.

thx997303

imported post

No, I don't believe looking retarded would be anywhere near my concious thought at that moment, or likely for quite a while afterward.

I'm talking about when you're at the range. It just looks so retarded. Especially when you're blasting away with two Glocks like that.

And in my experience, they are not very reliable.

But, to each their own I guess.

shad0wfax

imported post

I don't own a Glock. I don't know if they work well or not. If you want to buy one and carry one, more power to you. I won't poo-poo them when others use or buy them. I just wouldn't own one myself.

If I'm in a situation where I need more than 30 rounds of pistol ammo to get the job done, I should have brought a sub-machine gun, a battle rifle or a true assault rifle (a belt-fed open-bolt automatic) instead.

thx997303

imported post

Ugh, I didn't put an option in the poll that would align with your opinion.

Dang.

So I guess that would be other.

I don't care when others use them, it's not me.

shad0wfax

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Ugh, I didn't put an option in the poll that would align with your opinion.

Dang.

So I guess that would be other.

I don't care when others use them, it's not me.
Yes,I was just explaining my vote of "other."

NightOwl

imported post

I've fired a Glock with a modified grip to handle the oversized clip (double row of bullets, narrows down to single at the top, extends a little out of the bottom of the grip). I found it to be comfortable and fire reliably, I consider the modification to be a wise investment where it is legal to carry such.

thx997303

imported post

What capacity of mag is that?

It doesn't sound like a 30 plus, those seem to stick out the entire length of the grip.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wouldn't carry one but I can see that they could have their purposes. Friend of mine decided to consolidate his home/personal defense planning so he and his wife bought matching Glock 19s and matching Kel-Tec Sub 2000's that take the Glock mags. So now they have 2 sidearms and 2 carbines with not just interchangeable ammo but mags as well. As part of that they bought some of the 33 rd high capacity mags which also function in both firearms.

I think the high capacity mags make more sense in a carbine, but being functional in a handgun is not a downside. For a true SHTF scenario, if reliable it is an inexpensive way to have essentially 2 extra mags for the price of one loaded up for action. As a practical every day carry option I think it is kinda silly.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

When I was working at a range in NJ, a buddy had a 50 rounds "snail" drum for the Colt .45 ACP. You get awfully tired just holding that thing up long enough to shoot 50 rounds. We were all used to shooting 7 rounds at a time. Now I have 12-rnd mags for my USP 45 and even that seems like a lot to shoot in one squirt. I usually practice in 5 round strings, (be it slow fire or rapid fire) before doing target analysis.

45acpForMe

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
If I'm in a situation where I need more than 30 rounds of pistol ammo to get the job done, I should have brought a sub-machine gun, a battle rifle or a true assault rifle (a belt-fed open-bolt automatic) instead.

My 30-round G21 magazines work fine. It is a b_____ getting the last round in though. :)

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
SNIP If I'm in a situation where I need more than 30 rounds of pistol ammo to get the job done, I should have brought a sub-machine gun, a battle rifle or a true assault rifle (a belt-fed open-bolt automatic) instead.
+1

I normally carry a Kimber with 3 8rd mags (1 in the gun) for a total of 24 .45 cal rds. My Kimber is at the factory atm :( so I'm carrying a Glock 21 with three mags as well for a total of 39 .45 cal rds. I do that for uniformity because I always want to have 2 reloads with me. Honestly though, if I can't take care of a situation with what I have in my gun then I'm in it DEEP.

The only way I'd buy an extremely high cap mag like those 30+ rounders is if I owned/carried a G18C or I get a really sick deal on one. I just don't think it's practical and it's likely very uncomfortable. That said though a pistol on your hip isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
SNIP If I'm in a situation where I need more than 30 rounds of pistol ammo to get the job done, I should have brought a sub-machine gun, a battle rifle or a true assault rifle (a belt-fed open-bolt automatic) instead.
+1

I normally carry a Kimber with 3 8rd mags (1 in the gun) for a total of 24 .45 cal rds. My Kimber is at the factory atm :( so I'm carrying a Glock 21 with three mags as well for a total of 39 .45 cal rds. I do that for uniformity because I always want to have 2 reloads with me. Honestly though, if I can't take care of a situation with what I have in my gun then I'm in it DEEP.

The only way I'd buy an extremely high cap mag like those 30+ rounders is if I owned/carried a G18C or I get a really sick deal on one. I just don't think it's practical and it's likely very uncomfortable. That said though a pistol on your hip isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting.

Icarry a USP 45 and it isn't very light. .45 ammo isn't light, either. Carrying a couple extra 12 round mags on my weak side balances the load, though. Sometimes I'll just carry one extra mag inthe back pocket of my shorts. They're quite roomy.

When I was in the service and carrying a Beretta 92F, we had 2 extra mags, 2 pairs of handcuffs, pepper spray, flashlight (back then it was a multi-cell D size flashlight or if you were lucky you had one with C-cells), gloves, radio (a HUGE encrypted Motorola MX-300), and cuff key. All that crap was REALLY heavy, but we also wore an inner velcro belt and belt keepers (either snaps or velcro) to hold the two belts together. If you went over the side (which I did a couple times) in the summer, you didn't float very well, even with the Type 3 PFD because we also wore level 3A body armor. Sometimes we wore "suspenders" similar to the LBE's and "combat harnesses"other services wear with all their stuff. We got Surefires and expandible batons (ASP) about halfway through my career. They replaced the big flashlight and "3 from the ring" training.

brboyer

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
I've fired a Glock with a modified grip to handle the oversized clip (double row of bullets, narrows down to single at the top, extends a little out of the bottom of the grip). I found it to be comfortable and fire reliably, I consider the modification to be a wise investment where it is legal to carry such.
WTF are you talking about:question::uhoh:

Legba

imported post

The high-capacity 9mm magazines made by Glock (for the model 18) hold 33 rounds and stick out more thana little. They're also illegal to use in Ohio (30 round maglimit here). Dunno about the after-market stuff.

-ljp

Hendu024

imported post

I've got a 29 round mag for my G23 and I like it. I mainly got it for fun, but I've thought about carrying it. It works fine in a horizontal carry shoulder rig, can't carry it on a belt. I also noticed when I shoot it that it actually balances the gun out very well. I have had to make a couple slight modifications to it because it wasn't feeding flawlessly. Overall, it's a pretty good setup, but the mags are a little pricey.

virginiatuck

imported post

I have a couple 33 rd. 9mm mags. One by Glock, the other by some co. I can't remember the name of it right now.

The glock mag works flawlessly for me and loads easily. The other one caused jams during firing and was difficult to load. I have to be careful while loading the non-glock mag that the bullets stay ~horizontal and don't jam up. After applying some oil it's not only easier to load, but hasn't caused any jams while firing.

They're a time-saver at the range; and I keep one loaded as a backup in my house and vehicle.

Carrying concealed is possible in the winter, but they do print easier. As for OC, they're fine if you don't care what anyone else thinks.