• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

changing the laws

should the law be changed in Tennessee to allow carry without a permit?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

suntzu

imported post

so here is a question for everyone:

why don't we work to decriminalize the possession of firearms in this state?

The law requires us to purchase a privilege to carry a handgun...why should we have to purchase a privilege?

So why don't we work to make Tennessee as gun friendly as Alaska where no permit is required?

WCrawford

imported post

This is something that I'd love to see, and it has a better chance than a snowball in hell of happening.

I doubt it is something that is on the radar of the TFA or the NRA. Unless we get those organizations on board (due only to their political contacts) or get a new organization that can become a political force, it won't happen.

Personally, I see a new firearms rights group forcing this issue before the TFA or NRA support it.

aadvark

imported post

The problem throughout much of the South, as I have pointed out in other threads and forums, is the word 'Pistol' falls on very inparticular politics.

Moreover, Tennessee is in the limelight because of its new State Law allowing Firearms into establishments that serve Alcohol, so as lon as the patron has the Pistol License and does not drink while there.

Also, to add to the confusion, is the fact that it is now Legal to carry a Firearm into any park, including Local Parks, so as long as the Locality does not prohibit carrying Firearms to those Parks. The opt-out clause is clear in this Law; however, there exsists no opt-out clause on restaurant carry, arbeit Private Property Rights to prohibit carry, which are more less the same thing, except one is Government sanctioned.

To add insult to injury, Public Buildings seem Legal to carry Firearms into, so as long as the Locality does not post the prohibition making that act Unlawful.

The Firearm Laws in Tennessee areindifferent then much of The South, and as such they need to be changed.

old dog

imported post

Go out and take a good look around. Check out the crowds who shop the big box stores. Do you really want to give those people the unfettered right to carry guns?

The carrying of guns should be encouraged but limited to people who have shown themselves responsible. The right is too precious to be endangered by unthinking ideologues. I submit Tennessee's system is just about the best -- as nearly perfect as can be devised.

ProguninTN

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I believe the more folks we can get OC'ing throughout the state, the better our chances of getting OC legalized without a permit.
That's only a step. I want all or nothing. (That is concealed carry also lawful sans permit.) Also, I believe it would be necessary to amend Article I, Sec. 26 of our Constitution to remove the legislature's power to regulate the wearing of arms.

Wiggy

imported post

Interesting idea. Alaska does it and it works for them. I don't seewhy we would be any different.

I still can't understand why (even though I have an HCP) I can't carry a baton, a knife with a blade over four inches, a knife with a double edge, or a rifle or shotgun in my truck with a round in the chamber.

I also can't understand why I can't carry my defensive handgun with me when I go bowhunting...I can carry a muzzleloading handgun during muzzleloader season though!:p

ProguninTN

imported post

Wiggy wrote:
Interesting idea. Alaska does it and it works for them. I don't seewhy we would be any different.

I still can't understand why (even though I have an HCP) I can't carry a baton, a knife with a blade over four inches, a knife with a double edge, or a rifle or shotgun in my truck with a round in the chamber.

I also can't understand why I can't carry my defensive handgun with me when I go bowhunting...I can carry a muzzleloading handgun during muzzleloader season though!:p
Well, it's because the mindset of TN is that carrying weapons is generally illegal except for certain exceptions.

Batons require separate training and permit. (I do hold a valid baton certification myself.)

Four inches, annoying, but better than 2 inches.

Who told you that you can't carry a double-edged knife ?

I agree that the it's stupid that a person can carrying a chambered handgun, but same individual cannot carry a chambered longgun. (Perhaps a future law change ?)

Yes, the hunting restrictions are asinine.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
That's only a step. I want all or nothing. (That is concealed carry also lawful sans permit.) Also, I believe it would be necessary to amend Article I, Sec. 26 of our Constitution to remove the legislature's power to regulate the wearing of arms.
Won't ever happen unless forced by the Supreme Court of the United States.

Wiggy

imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

Well, it's because the mindset of TN is that carrying weapons is generally illegal except for certain exceptions.

Batons require separate training and permit. (I do hold a valid baton certification myself.)

Four inches, annoying, but better than 2 inches.

Who told you that you can't carry a double-edged knife ?

I agree that the it's stupid that a person can carrying a chambered handgun, but same individual cannot carry a chambered longgun. (Perhaps a future law change ?)

Yes, the hunting restrictions are asinine.
I know the mindset of TN is that carrying weapons is generally illegal, I just can't see why we have to go through so much more and pay so much more to have similar privileges to the ones that they enjoy in Alaska and Vermont.

I stand corrected about the knife laws, it appears the dirk/dagger language has quietly vanished from the knife laws as they are currently written. It looks like I was looking at outdated info.

I still think it's silly to have a permit to carry a stick though :p At least there's no separate permit for pepper spray as a less lethal option.

KBCraig

imported post

old dog wrote:
Go out and take a good look around. Check out the crowds who shop the big box stores. Do you really want to give those people the unfettered right to carry guns?
How about the unfettered right to speak freely?

To peaceful assemby?

To practice religion?

To vote?

To be free from unreasonable searches and seizures?

You're right, "those people" probably shouldn't have rights.

The carrying of guns should be encouraged but limited to people who have shown themselves responsible.

The freedom of speech... assembly... religion...

:cuss:

Wiggy

imported post

Old Dog,
I think I see what you're saying,
Everyone has a right to have a gun if they're legally able to, but if they're going to be out in public with it, you want to know that they're responsible. I'm not going to argue with that, but I could still point to other areas who don't have state required classes or any of the other stuff we have to go through (finger printing, fees, waiting) and their streets don't run red with blood.

old dog

imported post

Tnx, Wiggy. You do grasp my meaning. I believe the right to own a gun is absolute but public carrying requires caution.

As to Alaska and Vermont -- and some other states -- their cities aren't infested with "irregular guests". You think New York and L.A. are bad now imagine how it could be.

Face it, there are some people who have to be held down.

Why in God's name would we arm the very people against whom we arm ourselves?

ProguninTN

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
ProguninTN wrote:
Won't ever happen unless forced by the Supreme Court of the United States.
Ah, I think you mean the TN Supreme Court. (I was referring to the TN State Constitution.)

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

While I agree in principle with you, it might not be a bad idea to require the demonstration of some level of competence with a handgun before allowing it to be carried on the street. We require drivers to pass a written and driving test before licensing them.

With that said, I believe a handgun license should be no less or more difficult to get than a driver's license. We're willing to put 16-year-olds behind the wheel of any automobile from a Smart Car to a Hummer and a Hummer can do a lot more damage than most handguns. (I do get a little nervous around very young and very old drivers, but most of the responsibility for my personal safety belongs to me.) Since cars are much more common than handguns, people aren't too concerned when they see them on the street. :)

At any rate, don't knock the deal you've got in TN right now, because in AL unlicensed OC is technically legal, butthe law is not clear enough to ensure you won't get arrested for "Disorderly Conduct"and lose your CCW permit in the process. Plus, AL is a discretionary state, not a "Shall Issue" state. Personally, I'm looking forward to more trips to TN now that I know they recognize my AL license and that OC is protected there.

Wiggy

imported post

That's a reasonable thought, not making the carry process any harder than getting a driver's license. My main beef with the current process is the price.

When I lived in South Dakota, it was only $10, no class to take, and you get the permit in the mail within two weeks. Unlicensed open carry was legal there, but honestly I never saw anyone else do it unless they were hunting.