• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 9mm vs. XD 9mm

Open carry ok to me

imported post

I am trying to decide what pistol to choose, i have held and fired both Glocks and XD's in 9mm caliber and I still can not decide.

I am looking for anyone's thoughts on which they like, and their own Pro's and Con's.

Please do not direct me to other forums or web sites I am looking for peoples own opinions from this forum on this forum for only Glock and XD 9mm's.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pick the one that best fits your hand. imo they are both the same gun but the XD has some "band-aids" on it like the grip safety. Glocks are kinda like AKs. They look fugly but will almost never break down and will eat anything you feed it. I carry a Kimber normally but it's back at the factory atm so I'm carrying my old reliable, a Glock 21.

CrossFire

imported post

I have an XD9SC and an XD45. I have various other makes and calibers. I will never be without my XD's. They are IMO the finest firearm made.

thx997303

imported post

I personally like the backstrap safety on the XD. Not to say the Glock is any less safe, but I feel the extra safety gives me an extra little edge.

I have an XD9 tactical, and everyone told me that WWB wouldn't cycle the slide properly, well after a good 500 rounds I have not had a single failure of any kind.

Shoots smooth, reliable, more accurate than I am. And all the controls are within reach.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have an XD40, two G23's, a G27, and a Kahr K40 Elite '98. My primary carry piece is one of my G23's with my secondaries being the Kahr or the G27. I do like my XD40, but I find that I have to adjust my grip purchase on the pistol when drawing to fire. Plus sight alignment for me is not as natural with my XD40 as it is with the G23 or the Kahr K40. But it is a nice pistol, just not a serious contender for a carry pistol for me.

GlockMeisterG21 is right. Pick the one that best suits your hand, your ability to get it into action quickly and accurately, and goes bang every time (the most important single criteria).

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I could see some indecision between an XD and a Glock, I did not like the feel of the Glock in my hand, and getting the sight picture I wanted was awkward. And the XDm is ambidextrous out of the box (minus the slide lock release)

Then I held an XDm, and all my "I wish this was different or better" was in the XD-m.

If you go the XDm route, I suggest getting a .40 caliber, and adding a conversion barrel to make it a .357 Sig or a 9mm. If you get a 9mm, you cannot get drop-in barrels to go larger in caliber.

For me to take my .40 to .357 sig, I just add a drop-in barrel for $150, maybe a spring to adjustfelt recoil or slide movement.if I want it to be a 9mm, i add a $150 barrel a spring, and some 9mm magazines and my gun will shoot 3 different calibers with no need for gunsmithing.

XDM OWNER

imported post

I have a glock 17 9mm and the XDM 9 and the XDM 40 with the 357sig conv and the glock 24c. which is my favorite. I could not decide either so I bought both the xdm 40 is in 2 tone xdm 9 is all black. sprigfield makes a superb weapon and is adjustable with the different pieces for the grip also the case andall the acc's make it a great buy. with the high cap mags, should i say more, as far as the glocks go the 24c that i own is so accurate its just not funny I also added the lone wolf match barrell and SS guide rod and spring and veridian green lazers on the XDM's and the glocks. the 40 and the 9 got the lazer with the light, the glocks just got the lazers. These weapons are just plain fun to shoot. I have a buddy the shoots a 24c in competition and does very well. that may be the next step.

Hope this helps

If all else fails by both

ghostrider

imported post

If you like and shoot both guns fine, then pick the one that fits your hand best. They are two different grip angles, so they can't both feel the same.

XD:
  • "Loaded chamber" indicator (although newer Glocks have an ejector that hangs out further when loaded.
  • Ambidextrous safety.
  • Visual strike status indicator.
  • The XD has the grip safety. Some people like it, some people don't like it. Some even come with a thumb safety, but again, it's a personal preference thing.
  • The XD has a shorter trigger pull then the Glock. Then again, that is a result of the XD being more "cocked" than the Glock. Some people like to refer to it as "double action/single action", but it isn't. It's just a striker fired gun that is more cocked than a Glock. What this means is that if the striker were to inadvertently fall on either gun, the striker on the XD would do so with much more force due to the fact that it is (for lack of a better phrase) "more cocked" that that of the Glock. The advantage of this on the XD is that some people think the trigger is better on the XD because it's easier to pull. Personally, I think it's more akin to comparing a 629 to a 1911. The 1911 has a better trigger, but then again it isn't DA either (Para excluded).
Glock:
  • It doesn't have a lot of the above features, and those are some of the reasons people prefer them.
  • The Glock trigger is abhorred by some, but then it is also safer in the same way that a heavy DA revolver is safer than a SA gun in the cocked position (not exactly, but sort of). One way of looking at it in an illustration would be to say that, "the Glock is probably only 25% cocked, while the others are closer to being 50-75% cocked.
  • Parts and accessories availability. The Glock has been around longer, and the theory is that there should be more available. However, that doesn't always make it so, and even when it does it doesn't mean it matters to the specific user.
  • The Glock requires you to pull the trigger in order to take it down. While I can't say for sure that the XD doesn't do this, I believe that it doesn't. I could be something to check into if it matters to you.
Those are some of the differences that I could come up with. It's up to each individual to decide what's best for them. I personally prefer the Glock because most of those things that set the XD apart are features I personally don't care for. The XD does fit me better physically, but I like the Glock, so I work with it.

DMWyatt

imported post

The biggest differences between the 2 I've noticed is that the XD is heavier than the glock, and the grip angles for each are different. I, myself, cannot hit the broad side of a barn with a factory glock yet my XD is the most accurate handgun I own. I experienced a few jams and whatnot with the glock I used to own, and determined that it was the grip angle causing me not to get the grip on the firearm I needed to avoid limp wristing or overcompensating for recoil. The grip angle on the XD corrected this for me, and I haven't looked back.

In retrospect, I may buy a glock again in the future, but it would be a range gun. The accessories available for the glock kind of makes it the AR of pistols in my mind. I would view the XD more as an AK of pistols. The safety devices on both are passive, unless you get the newer XD45 service with the thumb safety. I don't really see many instances where the grip safety on the XD is going to prohibit you from using the firearm effectively for defense. The same argument would have to be applied to the 1911 if this is the case.

If you're the kind of guy to have a gun tweaked by a gunsmith, options for the XD are limited when compared to the Glock. Scott Springer is probably the best go-to guy for the XD aside from the Springfield Custom Shop. In fact, my XD will be going to Scott when my tax returns come in next yearfor a trigger job and possibly new sights. XDTalk.com is a pretty good resource if you want to dig deeper into accessories and whatnot. You're going to find fanboys there once in a while, but the majority of those I've known at XDTalk the past few years own both. Some even openly confess a preference for the glock without getting flamed at every turn. I haven't been to GlockTalk in a while, but the last time I was there it was brutal.:lol:

Ohio Patriot

imported post

You can buy 100% of the spare parts for a Glock. You can also buy 100% of the spare parts for a S&W M&P. The same cannot be said for the XD. So when your XD breaks, you will be forced to send it back to Springfield.

I refuse to buy a handgun where I can't buy spare parts for it. This means I will only buy Glocks, S&W M&Ps, and 1911s.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The action of the XD series is best described as a Single Action Only (SAO) design. Keep in mind that when referring to a handgun's action, we are always talking about what the trigger does, not what a hammer or a striker does.

I have an XD40 and so far, my examination seems to indicate that it is a SAO pistol. This would mean that the movement of the slide fully cocks the striker and all the trigger does is release the striker.

A Glock is a Double Action Only (DAO) design. We can see this is true because the slide only partially cocks the striker. As the trigger is depressed, it moves the striker into a fully cocked state and then as the trigger is completely pressed to the rear, it releases the striker. So the trigger performs two tasks: it completes the cocking of the striker AND then it releases the striker.

The trigger travel on a Glock is 1/2". I don't know what it is for an XD40, but I believe it is slightly longer than a half of an inch.

Both of these pistols are fine defensive sidearms and frankly, whenever I read postings where people are tearing one or the other apart because of their own bias and perhaps ignorance, it makes me laugh.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My thoughts from a 2008 OCDO post I made on this issue http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/13377-5.html:

"Ok, I'll bite with my opinion (and only my opinion which is worth as much as you paid for it):

I think the XD has 6 improvements over the Glock:

1) Backstrap safety (although some see it as a liability). I like having the extra passive safety. It is called "Glock leg" for a reason.

2) Traditional take down system. I do not like Glock's take down system. While there are 2 recommended methods of take down I am aware and neither require your hand be in front of the muzzle, I see most people using a method that puts their hand in front of the muzzle or causes them to point the muzzle at their body which I find to be troubling on a firearm which requires the trigger be pulled to disassemble. My experiences obviously may not be representative.

3) All models in all calibers have fully supported chambers and have had from the beginning.

4) The ramp rests on and is supported by the locking block rather than the magazine lip as in the Glock. Paired with the fully supporte chambers, in the case of an in-chamber cartridge failure, it is more likely that the chamber will contain the explosion.

5) More natural grip angle. While many obviously like or don't mind the Glock grip angle, many find their natural aim with it to point high. While this can be corrected with front sight height or practice, the XD has a more natural grip angle for many.

6) Perhaps the least discussed feature of the XD, although it is a patented feature on the pistol, is the slight extension of the guide rod/recoil spring assembly face beyond the muzzle [SEE CORRECTION BELOW] (tactical models have a guide rod/recoil spring whereas the service and subcompact models have a recoil spring assembly). The face sticks out about 1/8" past the slide/muzzle. The design purpose of this is to allow full lock up into battery after a contact shot while maintaining contact. A feature that certainly rarely comes into play, however, in the case of a hand to hand struggle for your life it may be the factor that allows the follow-up shot and saves your life.

EDITED: Correction as to #6 - the guide rod on the tactical models does not stick out that far and I obviously misremembered as to that issue. My apologies for any confusion my mis-statement may have caused. The original HS-2000 on which the XD is based was only made in what is now called the "service" (4") model and had this feature. I looked for the actual patent which I have seen before, I think linked from XDtalk, but am unable to locate it. I did find this information regarding the design:

"Springfield advertising literature calls this a "muzzle protector", but the original text of patent WO02059539, published in August 01, 2002 and granted to the Croatian design team, describes the reason for this feature as to "enable firing the bullet when the pistol is pushed towards someone's back". This is "necessary" because HS2000, as almost any other modern pistol, has a disconnector safety that does not permit the release of the striker if the slide is not fully closed and locked to the barrel, and such situation can be easily encountered in circumstances described in the quote." http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg48-e.htm" [end re-post]

All that being said (or actually re-posted) IMO the most important thing is which feels best and most natural pointing in your hand. They make a lot of different top end running shoes not because one is necessarily better than the other, but one brand/model will be better for YOU and YOUR needs than another. Same thing applies to quality sidearms.

As to parts availability, there are numerous quality XD replacement parts now available online to replace about any parts that typically wear out or break. While Glock certainly has a better supply side with this, they also have had 20 more years to build that network and supply base. I don't think it is an issue for most but it is certainly a matter for consideration for some.

thx997303

imported post

I put forward the idea to don of Don's guide rods, to make a tactical guide rod that stuck out the extra bit to facilitate the intended design.

Unfortunately, it was not a popular idea.:?

Thelukaskezik

imported post

my uncle has a glock 9mm, but i always liked the design of the xd with it's safety features, looks, etc. i've had chances to shoot the glock many times, and it was decent, but after i shot the SA XD, i fell in love with it. and it's mostly how it feels in MY HAND and how i feel with it on MY hip. i'm not afraid of shooting myself reholstering my xd, and i'm more accurate with the xd than the glock.

like many other people say, shoot both, then decide.

Tawnos

imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
You can buy 100% of the spare parts for a Glock. You can also buy 100% of the spare parts for a S&W M&P. The same cannot be said for the XD. So when your XD breaks, you will be forced to send it back to Springfield.

I refuse to buy a handgun where I can't buy spare parts for it. This means I will only buy Glocks, S&W M&Ps, and 1911s.
As far as I know, that is no longer true, and has not been for at least a year. I was able to purchase from SA the replacement striker indicator tube, a part that previously was a "send it in" one, after a disassembly mishap.

thx997303

imported post

True, I just got two of those from XDguys.

I don't believe there is a single part save for the frame and slide that you couldn't get from a parts dealer.