• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dodged a bullet in Bellingham (Figuratively, of course)

Richard6218

imported post

Yesterday (Friday) I went into the Fred Meyer store on Bakerview for a couple items. As I have been doing all summer I was OC'ing my little Springfield EMP in an inside-the-pants holster so only the grip is showing. Mostly, people just don't notice because it's so unobtrusive, though it IS openly carried. Being Friday afternoon the place was quite busy and for some reason I got a queasy feeling about my weapon. I suppose it didn't help that I was wearing a t-shirt that said "ACLU: Enemy of the State" with the "C" a red hammer and sickle. I got lots of ugly stares for that, but probably also for the gun. I picked up my four items and zipped through the self-check and hustled out of the place. As I was getting in my car I noticed two Bellingham cops cruising up and down aisles in the parking lot, obviously looking for something/someone.

Am I being paranoid, or does this look like someone called the cops for my OC? The timing was most suspicious, as they showed up just as I was leaving the store.

I know the police policy is to always respond to a MWAG call and how the officers handle the situation from there is their decision. Having heard some nasty stories on this board about Bellingham PD lately, I think I may have dodged a bullet. Any thoughts?

1245A Defender

imported post

my first OC, in a safeway in bremerton went smoothly, but a manager seemed to be keeping tabs on me in the store. as my friend and i drove away there were cop cars converging from 3 directions!

glad you got away clean.

virgil47

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Could be. You'll just never know.
And my preference would be to not know. I think next time I wear that t-shirt I won't OC,and vice-versa. The combination is a recipe for disaster.

Hmmm, so you can only exercise one right at a time? If you want to exercise your second amendment right then you should leave your first amendment right at home? Hmmm, methinks something is amiss with that statement.

shad0wfax

imported post

So what if you had an ACLU shirt on that was negative in context while OC?

I OC wearing a nice full size USP wearing this shirt:
Guncontrol.jpg

Just because it has a swastika on it does NOT mean I'm some kind of jerk. I hate the ideology of the Nazi party, the Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of China.

The shirt gets alot of compliments and it also gets more than a few dirty looks from people who ONLY see a swastika and aren't capable of reading the giant text above and below it, nor are thy capable of looking at the Chinese star or the Hammer and Sickle and making a conection between tyrannical regimes and gun control.

I'd be proud to wear your anti-ACLU shirt while Open-Carrying and I wouldn't mind dealing with LEO's while doing so.

kwiebe

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:

Guncontrol.jpg

Just because it has a swastika on it does NOT mean I'm some kind of jerk. I hate the ideology of the Nazi party, the Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of China.

The shirt gets alot of compliments and it also gets more than a few dirty looks from people who ONLY see a swastika and aren't capable of reading the giant text above and below it, nor are thy capable of looking at the Chinese star or the Hammer and Sickle and making a conection between tyrannical regimes and gun control.
Nancy Pelosi sure gets around.

Richard6218

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Could be. You'll just never know.
And my preference would be to not know. I think next time I wear that t-shirt I won't OC,and vice-versa. The combination is a recipe for disaster.

Hmmm, so you can only exercise one right at a time? If you want to exercise your second amendment right then you should leave your first amendment right at home? Hmmm, methinks something is amiss with that statement.
No, I don't have to leave MY rights at home it's dodging the lunatic wacko lefties that want to take them away.

Another incident that happened also this past week: I've been taking my dog to a training class. The first night I OC'ed, and no one seemed to have any problem with it. But the day before the second class this week the trainer called me and said she had gotten a complaint about my gun. So I figured I'd better just leave it home --- score one for the libs. That night I figured out who it was --- an older hippie-looking woman who glared at me the whole time when she wasn't trying to look the other way. Sometimes we just have to give in, like it or not.

Richard6218

imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
[snip] Any thoughts?
Bellingham PD activity searchdoesn't show anything for that date.

Gene:

Very useful search, thanks for that. BUT --- does this necessarily include all dispatches??? I note there area few traffic violations listed (I just did one date, the 28th) but I find it hard to believe there were only two traffic stops in that 24-hour period. Could it be there was a call, and if they didn't find me there was no contact and therefore nothing to report?

Richard6218

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:

Guncontrol.jpg

I'd be proud to wear your anti-ACLU shirt while Open-Carrying and I wouldn't mind dealing with LEO's while doing so.
Your shirt is great but it's too complicated for the mush-headed liberals to absorb in one reading.

Gene Beasley

imported post

Can't say either way for certain. I could speculate though. This is their press summary. Knowing the make-up of the city council from watching their dog-and-pony show, I would think they would want to show a proactive approach to a MWAG report whether contact was made or not.

fire suppressor

imported post

It is possible they called the cops on you, kind of hard to say. I often have a scanner in my car more due to my job than anything ells. But there has been a few times I have had a similar experience and have turned my scanner to PD and listened. In my case it has always just been paranoia *fingers crossed, knock on wood* Scanners don't cost much theses days and I think they care a good carry tool. On a side note if you don't carry a voice recorder I recommend spending the money to get a good one. They will save you a$$. If anyone needs codes for kitsap county I have them they are legal and open to the public. (also side note, anything and everything said over the scanner is considered public information and you can goto cencom in kitsap county and request a copy of the radio traffic, just FYI)

DEROS72

imported post

I would wear the ACLU shirt while OC as well.They are the enemy of the state.Has anyone heard of them standing up for the 2nd ammendment.?? When I OC downtown there are a couple of ACLU petition snipers that really like to give me a hard time.

Lurkus Maximus

Campaign Veteran

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
I suppose it didn't help that I was wearing a t-shirt that said "ACLU: Enemy of the State" with the "C" a red hammer and sickle. I got lots of ugly stares for that, but probably also for the gun.
Umm. Yeah. Mixed message. Confrontational.

Dress for success ought to be the goal of open carriers if you want to "normalize" open carry and gun ownership, you should strive to look normal and friendly.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Richard, glad you got away without incident they were probably looking for me, they are not happy with me right now, I have been contacting a lot of attorneys and the county about their treatment of me.(still no luck)

They tried to get me trespassed by calling the manager of the store I gone to and wasn't in at the time of police contact. They're are trying hard to make OC'ers pay for OC'in in my opinion, and well that's what they personally told me. My next encounter they are not getting my I.D. or CPL or any "cooperation" I am not going to play games with them, they either need to back off or cross the line. Really wish I had a reliable recorder though.

I was thinking of getting a shirt made though that says " Go ahead and ask, I know you want to". I run into a lot of people who I can tell want to talk about it but are afraid to start a conversation.

Richard6218

imported post

Lurkus Maximus wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
I would wear the ACLU shirt while OC as well.They are the enemy of the state.Has anyone heard of them standing up for the 2nd ammendment.?? When I OC downtown there are a couple of ACLU petition snipers that really like to give me a hard time.
About a year old but...

http://www.dcthornton.com/2008/07/11/state-aclu-supports-2nd-amendment/

A couple years ago somehow I got on their mailing list and they bombarded me with questionnaires that were so distorted that it was impossible to answer contrary to their weltanschauung. ("World View" for those who don't speak German)

I answered "No" to some questions like "Do you favor Fourth Amendment rights for everyone, even if they are accused of crimes such as treason?" I wrote in "Not for terrorists" At the bottom of the page where they put their hand out begging for money I wrote "I DO NOT SUPPORT COMMUNIST ORGANIZATIONS" I haven't seen one of their "surveys" since :lol: