• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hmm, tired of not being able to OC

thx997303

imported post

Texas sucks. I think I may end up OCing myself a long gun when I get back to Utah.

Perfect opportunity to get back to my regularly scheduled programming.

Guess I want to be the test case.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

I have thought about OC'ing a fully automatic supressed pistol... you know like a M10 or M11... just one or two problems... I don't have the BATFE tax stamp and I don't have the weapon or the silencer...

I wonder if we could get the State Legislature to repeal their ban on Concealed carry of fully automatic or supressed weapons... LOL Just wishfull thinking, I guess!

thx997303

imported post

Maybe, on the state or federal level?

If it were at the state level, which I don't think it is, we have a good legislature for it.

Wonder, with all the OC familiarization we've done, if they will over react to a slung rifle.

Guess we shall see.

rpyne

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
I wonder if we could get the State Legislature to repeal their ban on Concealed carry of fully automatic or supressed weapons.
I can't find anything in Utah law that would prohibit concealed carry of fully automatic or suppressed firearms. The only Utah Code restriction I can find on fully automatic firearms is on possession by a minor. I cannot find even a mention of silenced or suppressed firearms in Utah Code.

If you know of any, please post a cite so we can all learn.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

rpyne wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
I wonder if we could get the State Legislature to repeal their ban on Concealed carry of fully automatic or supressed weapons.
I can't find anything in Utah law that would prohibit concealed carry of fully automatic or suppressed firearms. The only Utah Code restriction I can find on fully automatic firearms is on possession by a minor. I cannot find even a mention of silenced or suppressed firearms in Utah Code.

My mistake... the only reference I can find is in http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=76-10-504

(3)Anyone concealing asawed off shotgun or a short barrelled rifle is guilty of a felony.

Concealed permit holders are exempt from 76-10-504 (1), and (2) and 76-10-505 per

http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=76-10-523subsection 2.
I don't see anything about a concealling a fully automaticand/or suppressedweaponthat is not a short barrelled rifle or a sawed off shotgun. Thank for having me revisit this code....

LovesHisXD45

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
I have thought about OC'ing a fully automatic supressed pistol... you know like a M10 or M11... just one or two problems... I don't have the BATFE tax stamp and I don't have the weapon or the silencer...

I wonder if we could get the State Legislature to repeal their ban on Concealed carry of fully automatic or supressed weapons... LOL Just wishfull thinking, I guess!
I think there are federal laws covering this as well as the purchase and posession of "fully automatic" weapons. I would look it up, but it's 2:00 AM, and I'm just on and off to bed. It's been a long day and I'm being a sloth right now. :)

Kevin

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:

I think there are federal laws covering this as well as the purchase and posession of "fully automatic" weapons. I would look it up, but it's 2:00 AM, and I'm just on and off to bed. It's been a long day and I'm being a sloth right now. :)

Kevin
The Federal laws require completing the application form, getting the signature of a Police chief or County Sheriff, paying the $200.00 tax on both the fully-automatic firearm and the silencer.

For a fully automatic weapon not for LE or military the weapon must have been manufactured and registered as an automatic weapon before 1986. The silencer can be of new construction. In fact, with the correct paperwork to BATFE you can make your own.

Utah does not restrict the ownership or possesionor useany more strictly that other weapons. Unlike Washington state where it is legal to own a silencer but illegal to install such on a firearm.

chillidogs

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Maybe, on the state or federal level?

If it were at the state level, which I don't think it is, we have a good legislature for it.

Wonder, with all the OC familiarization we've done, if they will over react to a slung rifle.

Guess we shall see.

Is your intent to exercise you 2nd ammendment right or is it to stir the pot? The answer to that question should determine if you do this or not.

Either way, good luck.

thx997303

imported post

Excercising (sp?) my right to OC is why I feel like doing this. I haven't been able to in the past year.

Though, I am curious as to the possible reaction.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
rpyne wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:

My mistake... the only reference I can find is in http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=76-10-504

(3)Anyone concealing asawed off shotgun or a short barrelled rifle is guilty of a felony.

Concealed permit holders are exempt from 76-10-504 (1), and (2) and 76-10-505 per

http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=76-10-523subsection 2.
I don't see anything about a concealling a fully automaticand/or suppressedweaponthat is not a short barrelled rifle or a sawed off shotgun. Thank for having me revisit this code....

This might be a good spot to ask a question I had.

With all this said..... Can a person CC or even OC an AR pistol?

Its not a SBR, rifle or any thing else. Its a pistol, maybe a bit excesive at times but still a pistol, but I would like to compare it to the FN Five-seveN pistol that holds 20 small rifle rnds

thx997303

imported post

Yep, the law makes no differentiation between long arms and pistols, and so you can oc your ar pistol. As long as it was manufactured as a pistol.

I am unsure however of your ability to cc an ar pistol. They are quite large.:)

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Yep, the law makes no differentiation between long arms and pistols, and so you can oc your ar pistol. As long as it was manufactured as a pistol.

I am unsure however of your ability to cc an ar pistol. They are quite large.:)

I was thinking in a coat durring the winter

In walmart :p

leeland

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
I've not found it practical to carry (open or concealed) a suppressed pistol. Most holsters just don't accommodate this well. If you do want to get into a suppressed pistol, I recommend starting with a nice .22 can. I've got half a dozen Sig Mosquito+Gemtech Outback II combos that are looking for good homes right now (I'll happily sell them at my cost to forum members).

I word of warning however, getting bitten by the class 3 bug can grow to be expensive. With the rising cost of ammo, I find I get less and less enjoyment out of shooting full-auto (something about measuring your ammo costs in dollars/sec takes some of the fun out of it). :(

Francis Marion

imported post

leeland wrote:
With the rising cost of ammo, I find I get less and less enjoyment out of shooting full-auto (something about measuring your ammo costs in dollars/sec takes some of the fun out of it). :(
LOL, I've never heard it put that way before. Guess I'm lucky to have a rich uncle that gives me automatic weapons and the bullet by the thousands to shoot out of them.

Since the military has given me plenty of time to remove the novelty of it, I have learned that there are only two positive purposes for full auto fire. One is to defend against the Mongolian Horde and the other is to scream, "Go Away!" Usually, all it really does is burn through a finite supply of ammo and shout, "Here I am. Shoot me!" I prefer long range precision weapons that cause the other guy to think, "Pop!" "What happened to..." "Pop!"

Thundar

imported post

Francis Marion wrote:
leeland wrote:
With the rising cost of ammo, I find I get less and less enjoyment out of shooting full-auto (something about measuring your ammo costs in dollars/sec takes some of the fun out of it). :(
LOL, I've never heard it put that way before. Guess I'm lucky to have a rich uncle that gives me automatic weapons and the bullet by the thousands to shoot out of them.

Since the military has given me plenty of time to remove the novelty of it, I have learned that there are only two positive purposes for full auto fire. One is to defend against the Mongolian Horde and the other is to scream, "Go Away!" Usually, all it really does is burn through a finite supply of ammo and shout, "Here I am. Shoot me!" I prefer long range precision weapons that cause the other guy to think, "Pop!" "What happened to..." "Pop!"
Tell it like it is you old swamp fox.